Home

Beijing 2008 Review

This is a discussion on Beijing 2008 Review within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
I long for the days of Track and Field and Decathlon by Activision on the Atari 2600, both of which I spent many an hour playing and trying to beat my personal best. When T&F hit the 360 I was excited, it finally gave me a chance to look good online. I never heard so many, OOOO's and AAAAAh's when it was my turn to run, throw or jump. This game might just fill the bill.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Beijing 2008 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRoark
Hey guys,
thanks for the comments. As always, this review is only my opinion, so disagreements are fine.

This probably is one of the better Olympic games produced, and like I said, if you are into these games, you may be pleased. And I fully prepared for a comment like allBthere's: "not fair to fault the game for being hard." My issue, and I hope I communicated this well enough, is not that it's too hard. I like a challenge. The problem is that it's best as a multiplayer game, but the difficulty will turn others away.

If the single player were more fun (again, just to me), the difficulty isn't an issue. It's not an issue either if you have 3+ friends who are up for the challenge.

I'll defend my 6 as being within the OS guidelines, those being that a 6 falls in the range of an slightly above average, fun game, with a lack of depth and some design issues. Most importantly is the idea that this game probably won't appeal to those who aren't fans of the sport.

To me, this game is definitely a rental, but I can't recommend a purchase to those who aren't big time Olympic fans. Try it, you may like it.

Keep the comments coming! And don't forget to give a use score, especially if you disagree with me
Oh I didn't think you were way off or anything, just so you know. It was a good review, I just think it definitely swayed people away from trying it as the first comment suggests. We differ in that I only played single player (training, olympics, challenge) and I enjoyed that quite a bit. And I noticed that I got achievements for beating my personal bests which was pretty cool.

It is hard though, and frustrating especially at the beginning, but when you get a WR or OR, it's totally fist pumping material.

these games come out rarely, and they always get bad scores (but not this one), so to me it's sort of a triumph. I was very suprised at the production values - this is not a cheap olympic cash-in, they really set out to make a good game imo.

I absolutely agree on not recommending a purchase, it is a game that you must try, and like me you may have a lot of fun with it during a week rental and feel that you got your fill. I may rent it again, and I may not, but it was a very good rental imo. It's not one that I returned early for sure.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #11
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Beijing 2008 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliball
I long for the days of Track and Field and Decathlon by Activision on the Atari 2600, both of which I spent many an hour playing and trying to beat my personal best. When T&F hit the 360 I was excited, it finally gave me a chance to look good online. I never heard so many, OOOO's and AAAAAh's when it was my turn to run, throw or jump. This game might just fill the bill.
there's another t&f game comming next week, I'm going to try to check that out too, although it might not be 'big' enough for rental stores to carry it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #12
MVP

wayne23's Arena

OVR: 14
Beijing 2008 would have been a great game for the Wii.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »