Home

Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story

This is a discussion on Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story

It has now been well over a week since NCAA Football 09 was released and we have seen just about every reaction possible about EA Sports newest game. Our very own Patrick Williams was in the middle of the release frenzy and checks in today with an article discussing his thoughts on how the releases reaction was received among the community in his latest article, Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story.

Quote:
"Summer is usually a time for relaxation in the sports world. Summer lacks any real dramatic sports news. At most, all you can hope for is some kind of off-the-field NFL scandal or hot topic -- and this year has not let us down, thank you Brett Favre and the Packers organization. Still if you love sports -- and since you are here you most likely do -- and play sports video games, you know that summer means a new beginning for the next season’s titles."
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Summer Storms: The NCAA Release Story

$60 wasted and another crap article stating why "the few" of us don't like the game, making it sound like we are the ones with the problem

Now that 2k is basically gone (from football) I find it funny how quick some jump the shark to the other side when expectation should ALWAYS be at a high level.......NOT JUST FOR EA!

$60...........the price for a game.
The price for a game that you SHOULD NOT have to deal with these glaring gameplay BUGS, especially when it has been HOW MANY YEARS NOW?

Last edited by Rules; 07-24-2008 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
BOOM!

AuburnAlumni's Arena

OVR: 43

Every bit of negativity has been warranted in my opinion.

Why? Well, regardless of what you think about the actual gameplay, Almost every major feature upon release was flat out broken.

1. Editing Rosters made your game freeze. Can't do that.
2. Stadium Sounds were causing issues for folks. Can't do that.
3. Online Dynasty was disappearing, being hijacked, etc. Can't do that.

That covers every major "new feature" in the game.

Gameplay is an opinion. But in all honesty, the folks that are really tearing NCAA a new one in the AI department are not "9 post wonders". These aren't 12 year old Timmy.

Bill Abner, Bill Harris, Rhombic, etc. These are ESTABLISHED WELL RESPECTED COMMUNITY MEMBERS . And it's not like they think the game "is a bit easy on offense", etc. These folks, like myself, are saying there are MAJOR issues.

Again, it's everyone's individual tastes on gameplay, etc. But there is a very vocal..and IMO...very KNOWLEDGEABLE section of the NCAA community that is highly disappointed with what this game looks like right now . I agree, obviously, with Rhombic and Co. and I think that...pre patch..this game is an arcadish score-fest with horrendous Defensive AI.

Could Defensive AI be adjusted? Could the ridiculous speed cheat for offenses be toned down? Could a Defensive line actually play to their abilities instead of getting pancaked and stonewalled by All Pro Offensive lines at Akron and Ball State?

Sure they could. Will they? Who knows.

But it would be very reasonable to suggest that this launch has been one of the messiest, bug filled, AI deficient in memory.

Just my .02.

Last edited by AuburnAlumni; 07-24-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
All Star

HustlinOwl's Arena

OVR: 50

Great article and can't believe it has only been a week
Old 07-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
Every bit of negativity has been warranted in my opinion.

Why? Well, regardless of what you think about the actual gameplay, Almost every major feature upon release was flat out broken.

1. Editing Rosters made your game freeze. Can't do that.
2. Stadium Sounds were causing issues for folks. Can't do that.
3. Online Dynasty was disappearing, being hijacked, etc. Can't do that.

That covers every major "new feature" in the game.

Gameplay is an opinion. But in all honesty, the folks that are really tearing NCAA a new one in the AI department are not "9 post wonders". These aren't 12 year old Timmy.

Bill Abner, Bill Harris, Rhombic, etc. These are ESTABLISHED WELL RESPECTED COMMUNITY MEMBERS . And it's not like they think the game "is a bit easy on offense", etc. These folks, like myself, are saying there are MAJOR issues.

Again, it's everyone's individual tastes on gameplay, etc. But there is a very vocal..and IMO...very KNOWLEDGEABLE section of the NCAA community that is highly disappointed with what this game looks like right now . I agree, obviously, with Rhombic and Co. and I think that...pre patch..this game is an arcadish score-fest with horrendous Defensive AI.

Could Defensive AI be adjusted? Could the ridiculous speed cheat for offenses be toned down? Could a Defensive line actually play to their abilities instead of getting pancaked and stonewalled by All Pro Offensive lines at Akron and Ball State?

Sure they could. Will they? Who knows.

But it would be very reasonable to suggest that this launch has been one of the messiest, bug filled, AI deficient in memory.

Just my .02.

couldnt agree more
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Work is being done to help each other overcome the problems, and slider and music customization help is a hot topic. This game may just have hope yet. Still it has been an eventful week or two in the online community with forums everywhere taking some twists and turns to say the least.

But alas, even the sliders were broken. Don't make it sound like there was a horrible storm and now the sun is out. There was a storm and now that people realize that the sliders and other things are broken to the point the community can't fix them. NCAAville is sitting under a dark cloud until EA fixes their broken product. The eye of Sauron is upon us. We are basically powerless at this point.

They have our money so we're at their mercy. I won't be fooled again.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Banned

srudoff's Arena

OVR: 7

belongs in the Impressions thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 25

OK, What the hell is this OS. This is the 3rd or 4th story about how NCAA is a good game and that the ones who don't like it are overreacting. Come On! Yes many people are overreacting, BUT a lot of people have problems with this game and most the complaints are real and warranted. Please Please Please quit sucking up to this game just because the developers are on the site, or because you personally like the game. I'm happy for you, really its great that you can enjoy your purchase, but for those that can't quit putting them down and treating their statements are purely false. Its OK for people to like the game, and hate the game. Try to take a more neutral approach. I personally used to be a huge NCAA fan and would ALWAYS get it day 1, now I cannot stand to play it, it bores the crap out of me, and the bugs/issues drive me away constantly. Doesn't mean my view on the game is wrong, its just MY view. Let those that enjoy it, enjoy it. Let those that dislike it have their say so that hopefully EA can improve upon what they feel needs fixed. This game is still way way behind where I feel it should be by now, so I intend to let EA know that, and maybe just maybe they will make me and many others a little happier in the future. Not everyone will be satisfied, but more so this year than ever it seems, and with good reason. IN MY OPINION.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »