Home

Madden 09 Official Trailer #1

This is a discussion on Madden 09 Official Trailer #1 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: Madden 09 Official Trailer #1

The game sucks! There is no way A. Peterson fumbles! Any ways the animations look sick in this game. I can't wait this game will own me.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 52

ARRRRGGGGHHHHH. That video looks really good...but do you guys want to know what drives me crazy about 09 more than anything? The fact that our running backs always face exactly in the direction that they are running:

Here's the video capture:

IRL, a player will nearly always keep his torso / shoulders / head squared up towards the endzone (or maybe the closest threat). Example:

Does this bother you as much as it bothers me? This might be part of what makes you guys often refer to our running as "stiff" as well.

As a designer I am often scared that I might be getting hung up on small stuff sometimes...am I warranted in trying to push this through?

(p.s. I bet marketing is going to hate me for posting this... )
Old 07-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #11
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture15
ARRRRGGGGHHHHH. That video looks really good...but do you guys want to know what drives me crazy about 09 more than anything? The fact that our running backs always face exactly in the direction that they are running:

Here's the video capture:

IRL, a player will nearly always keep his torso / shoulders / head squared up towards the endzone (or maybe the closest threat). Example:

Does this bother you as much as it bothers me? This might be part of what makes you guys often refer to our running as "stiff" as well.

As a designer I am often scared that I might be getting hung up on small stuff sometimes...am I warranted in trying to push this through?

(p.s. I bet marketing is going to hate me for posting this... )
Man, I didn't realize you're so anal about details! And I love it!

But that's a great idea. I never even thought about that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 47

I have and yes it would be cool if you guys can fix that. I am sure it will be hard, but it would make it look pretty real.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #13
Th*s F*c* C*sh*s Ch*cks

ezekiel55's Arena

OVR: 26

Great idea!....go for it Ian!
Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 PM   #14
MVP

cdon2k's Arena

OVR: 20

You hit the nail on the head Ian, it's small details like these that make the running look stiff. This particular one actually affects game play as if you are hit while your shoulders are square to the sideline, you will often get knocked back towards your end zone when hit from the side. Example, look at the pic you posted, when the Jets player hits the SF player, the SF player will be hit directly from the side knocking him back a yard or two. If your players shoulders were squared, it'd be more likely that he would fall forward or at least take on the tackle head first instead of getting knocked in the shoulder pad.

The other one that irks me is when players run straight up, this one is also illustrated in the pic, here is a RB in the backfield running straight up like he's a WR going on a streak. No sort of preparation for contact, just stiff looking running.

You are not crazy with this one, as it not only effects the look of the game (which is one of the issues, game looks great in pictures, stiff in motion), but it also affects the game play.

Thanks for noticing this detail

Cdon
Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 4

Heh,
SHHHHH Marketing doesn't have to know!

Wow it actually comforts me to know that IAN is that good at Attention to Detail. IF they do get around to improving head tracking/body positioning on the players when carrying the ball I think it would really do wonders for the overall effect and feel.

People may be saying they didnt notice it now, but once you show them the new look they wont wanna go back thats for sure....

:Thumbs Up:

Maybe Implementing Scripting Statements that Tell the Ball Carrier to "Head Track" on the Closest Incoming threat - though that might look a little weird if hes focusing on one guy after the other in a very methodical predictable way, so one fix would be maybe to randomize it between the closest threat, the general direction of the endzone, or nearest friendly blockers.

Last edited by excaliber; 07-24-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
ARRRRGGGGHHHHH. That video looks really good...but do you guys want to know what drives me crazy about 09 more than anything? The fact that our running backs always face exactly in the direction that they are running
Good Look, I never really payed attention to it before. It would make things look more natural thus adding to the feel of running the ball.

Also sound effects add to the "feel" of running. hearing the HB's footsteps when done right adds to that feel also.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »