Home

NHL 09 Blog - Realism (IGN)

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Blog - Realism (IGN) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
Swiper

hdaniel1's Arena

OVR: 48
NHL 09 Blog - Realism (IGN)

IGN has posted another NHL 09 blog called Realism.

Quote:
"More than ever you have to change up your style. Some CPU (and user) teams will play more of a trap style where you will have to dump and chase just to get the puck over the blueline. It is not a game of "take the puck down the wing all the time and gain the zone every time"."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 09 Blog - Realism (IGN)

Littman sure knows how to push all the right buttons to get me excited for this game.

Can't wait to see some in game video of off target passes, forechecking, and loose puck battles.

Last edited by mudtiger; 07-30-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Almost positive that I read this before, probably directly from the EA Sports site. In reading it again, I am reminded of something that frustrated me to no end in 08. It is a control issue that pertains only to the Broadcast camera (which I use exclusively & have for years in multiple hockey games):

When performing the 1-on-1 dekes (LB + R-stick), the controls were not camera relative. For example, shooting became left/right on the R-stick as opposed to up/down when using any of the other cameras (although one-timers were still up for some reason). However, this was not so when using the deke function. It made those moves basically useless to me in-game as there was no intuitive way to determine what kind of move to perform, as both the analog sticks still functioned as if I was playing the game 'up & down' (again only when using the LB deke modifer). Now if I tried any of these in practice mode (up & down), I could do exactly what I wanted and it made perfect contextual sense.

What has me worried is that in this blog Littman refers to the new checking system working in much the same way. The L-analog will be your skates, while the R-analog will be your upper body (which is a great idea as it allows the user to push/shove without fully committing their momentum in a given direction). If this control bug returns and somehow finds its way into the checking mechanic, I imagine that I'll have no choice but to abandon the Broadcast camera (as will any other of its users).

I know that this is not an issue for most as anytime I mentioned using broadcast while playing online the response was almost always, "I don't know anyone that plays that way". But I wanted to toss this out in hopes that my voice will somehow be heard...
Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 9

kind of a similar complaint - if you're skating facing down the ice and play with shooting controls "always up", the 1on1 dekes do not work correctly when going back to front or front to back. you can't do dekes like the one where your guy flips it to himself because you end up flipping it non-intuitively backwards.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm drooling after reading about how it will be hard to break out of the zone this year. NHL 08 always felt "empty" from your own zone to the other team's blueline. One quick pass and you were out of the zone every time.

Loose pucks now too?

This sounds too good to be true. Are they actually making a hardcore hockey sim this year? I am not a fan of 08, but it seems they have addressed every one of my criticisms for this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Almost positive that I read this before, probably directly from the EA Sports site.
I thought the same thing. Deja vu!

Quote:
In reading it again, I am reminded of something that frustrated me to no end in 08. It is a control issue that pertains only to the Broadcast camera (which I use exclusively & have for years in multiple hockey games):
Sorry, they can't accede to every demand by people playing the game in such perverse ways.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 8

I read this before as well. It was posted on the NHL 09 website vis Dave Littman's blog of July 24th.

SO none of you guys are psychic
Old 07-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #8
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdForged
Sorry, they can't accede to every demand by people playing the game in such perverse ways.
Ha! I wasn't expecting that response... My buddy and I starting using it in 2K3 for co-op play as it seemed easier for us to both to remain on screen. I guess I grew accustomed to it and I've been a 'pervert' ever since!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »