Home

Man-to-Man Coverage The Key to Stopping the AI QB in NCAA 09

This is a discussion on Man-to-Man Coverage The Key to Stopping the AI QB in NCAA 09 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
Rookie

dlamb919's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Man-to-Man Coverage The Key to Stopping the AI QB in NCAA 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJay
i can stop the passing game but i can't get enough sacks
as soon as i get pressure the QB makes a quick pass
i can get pressure with my CPU controlled defenders but if it's me who gets the pressure the QB always makes a quick read
even before his receiver gets off the line and runs his route sometimes
it's like the CPU refuses to let the user get a sack
and it never throws the ball away
What is enough sacks to you? I average around 4, which is normal. Most bad teams gave up an average of 5 or less - like Notre Dame last year. I think a lot of people on here that complain about not getting sacks and pressure expect to bring the QB down like a dozen times.

You can send blitz even with man coverage, but the more effective plays will usually leave a man open, which is fine if you get back there in time. Or when you do blitz, overload one side and/or send the blitzer from the outside.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25

This is seriously an outstanding article. I basically have been playing defense the way this article points out since the day I got the game. I figured it out maybe during my second game that zones leave holes open-which I found pretty realistic because lets face it, in real life teams do not play zones against spread offenses like Florida, or Boise State. Man defense is the only way to beat the spread. Because of this mindset I never got mad when the computer would check down to the safety valve (HB), on a 3rd and 10 for a 7 yard gain when I went to a zone coverage.

I too have been having the cpu throw deep on me regularly, something that many "doubted" when I brought it up in a previous post. Man defense allows this to happen- of course the cpu isn't going to throw deep on you in a cover2 or 3 zone- it wouldn't happen in real life.

Basically, the computer takes what you give it and I sort of like it. It makes defense more challenging and strategic as opposed to the standard cover3, cover3, cover 3 I'd always run back in previous games.

Let's face it guys, I think we all got a little spoiled with how easy it was to play defense in past versions.

Last edited by Bumble14; 08-05-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #11
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
This is seriously an outstanding article. I basically have been playing defense the way this article points out since the day I got the game. I figured it out maybe during my second game that zones leave holes open-which I found pretty realistic because lets face it, in real life teams do not play zones against spread offenses like Florida, or Boise State. Man defense is the only way to beat the spread. Because of this mindset I never got mad when the computer would check down to the safety valve (HB), on a 3rd and 10 for a 7 yard gain when I went to a zone coverage.

I too have been having the cpu throw deep on me regularly, something that many "doubted" when I brought it up in a previous post. Man defense allows this to happen- of course the cpu isn't going to throw deep on you in a cover2 or 3 zone- it wouldn't happen in real life.

Basically, the computer takes what you give it and I sort of like it. It makes defense more challenging and strategic as opposed to the standard cover3, cover3, cover 3 I'd always run back in previous games.

Let's face it guys, I think we all got a little spoiled with how easy it was to play defense in past versions.
Boise doesn't run the spread, hate to burst your bubble, but I know what you are saying.

I disagree with some of it though. Cover 2's are vulnerable down the seams of the middle of the field and the sidelines past the CB's press. 2 man under is harder to beat deep. Sometimes a post route will work, but it would have to be on the money.

Youtube
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14

But the underlying issue is that the zones are broken. The AI does take what you give it. Thats great it should. Problem is you give it on zones because of a glitch. Basically the Computer is a Cheeser, exploiting something that is broken.

Fix the Zones and the game gets much closer to being the game we all want. I thought they said they addressed it in the patch.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 34
The only issue I have with this, is that it seems more like a work around, then anything strategic, in order to play reasonable pass defense.

I have a real problem with the idea of having to junk 30-50% of the defensive playbook simply to get this to happen.

I'd rather use a good set of sliders that help create more realistic results, and use all of the defensive plays in my arsenal, rather then play like this.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #14
Rookie

Beardown's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJay
i can stop the passing game but i can't get enough sacks
as soon as i get pressure the QB makes a quick pass
i can get pressure with my CPU controlled defenders but if it's me who gets the pressure the QB always makes a quick read
even before his receiver gets off the line and runs his route sometimes
it's like the CPU refuses to let the user get a sack
and it never throws the ball away
This is my frustration exactly. I have the CPU QB throw in less than a second. I get plenty of pressure but never a sack. What I get instead is picks. The CPU QB will simply not be sacked instead they just throw really quick and many times for picks. It is completely insane. I can deal with everything else in this game except this. I am so tired of it I can't wait for Madden to come out so hopefully I can actually sack a QB. I get 1 sack a game if I am lucky, many games I get 0.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 13
I've been playing a lot of man-cover 2 coverage with similar results, because my corners have high MCV ratings and my safeties have high ZCV ratings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #16
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

GREAT ARTICLE....I have been saying this all along. I have always played majority man and I only recruit man corners.

Now let the bashing begin from the people who refuse to play like this.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »