Home

Man-to-Man Coverage The Key to Stopping the AI QB in NCAA 09

This is a discussion on Man-to-Man Coverage The Key to Stopping the AI QB in NCAA 09 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Man-to-Man Coverage The Key to Stopping the AI QB in NCAA 09

This won't work online though.

Youtube
Old 08-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
MVP

stoncold32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by capp34
GREAT ARTICLE....I have been saying this all along. I have always played majority man and I only recruit man corners.

Now let the bashing begin from the people who refuse to play like this.
No one is bashing, but this is simply a workaround to a issue that should not be there in the first palce. Why do we even have other defensive sets in the game if man is the only thing we should play in?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #19
Rookie

kindella2's Arena

OVR: 9
i think it depends on the speed of the defense. faster defenses play play better man to man IMO while zone is fine they tend to play according to zone rules so to speak. thus the semi break down in coverage. I play with UGA and FSU on dynasties and they play fast thus more picks and lower completions for the CPU.

With other teams with average defenses more completions are made and zone is not an option versus the CPU.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:39 PM   #20
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
The only issue I have with this, is that it seems more like a work around, then anything strategic, in order to play reasonable pass defense.

I have a real problem with the idea of having to junk 30-50% of the defensive playbook simply to get this to happen.

I'd rather use a good set of sliders that help create more realistic results, and use all of the defensive plays in my arsenal, rather then play like this.
well i'd say the QB spy part is certainly a work-around.

the rest of it is really just a change in playing philosophy. I would say most folks who play heavy zone didn't arrive there because they loved zones but they took what the game gave then and adjusted accordingly.

The past few versions of NCAA and Madden have made zone coverage preferable to man. There was just too much risk of the WR or HB or TE breaking one tackle and then being off to the races.

Going back to pre-ps2 Madden folks played a lot more man coverage because it was too easy to pick zones apart if you knew it was coming.

So really things are coming fully circle in that regard.

As for versus online opponents - the number one thing is always going to be mixing up your playcalling and keeping your opponent guessing.

IMO way to many folks spend oodles of time worrying and practing their offense but completely neglect their defense.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #21
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamb919
What is enough sacks to you? I average around 4, which is normal. Most bad teams gave up an average of 5 or less - like Notre Dame last year. I think a lot of people on here that complain about not getting sacks and pressure expect to bring the QB down like a dozen times.

You can send blitz even with man coverage, but the more effective plays will usually leave a man open, which is fine if you get back there in time. Or when you do blitz, overload one side and/or send the blitzer from the outside.
this is one of the problems IMO. folks have no idea what realistic is and are basing things on what they perceive to be realistic not what really is. Folks are used to playing games for years and getting 5 sacks a game.

Personally I never put a ton of emphasis on getting sacks. Instead i'm more worried about hurrying the QB and making him throw the ball before he wants to - especially against human opponents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #22
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlyGilmore
well i'd say the QB spy part is certainly a work-around.

the rest of it is really just a change in playing philosophy. I would say most folks who play heavy zone didn't arrive there because they loved zones but they took what the game gave then and adjusted accordingly.

The past few versions of NCAA and Madden have made zone coverage preferable to man. There was just too much risk of the WR or HB or TE breaking one tackle and then being off to the races.

Going back to pre-ps2 Madden folks played a lot more man coverage because it was too easy to pick zones apart if you knew it was coming.

So really things are coming fully circle in that regard.

As for versus online opponents - the number one thing is always going to be mixing up your playcalling and keeping your opponent guessing.

IMO way to many folks spend oodles of time worrying and practing their offense but completely neglect their defense.
I have pretty much always been a believer in 2 man under and making the offense work for their points. It worked well for me last season. I only allowed around 11-12 ppg online in both Madden and NCAA. This year man just sucks online. HB's burn linebackers like it is nothing. Linebackers take such horrible angles , as well.

Youtube
Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #23
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlyGilmore

Mixing up zone defenses only works if the zones guard the areas that they're supposed to guard.

Otherwise you get stuff like this:

http://files.filefront.com/PassDFrus.../fileinfo.html

Same pass play, all game. Nothing I could do to stop him from completing underneath routes, regardless of coverage.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
No one is bashing, but this is simply a workaround to a issue that should not be there in the first palce. Why do we even have other defensive sets in the game if man is the only thing we should play in?

I agree.

I do not want to be pigeon holed into playing the game ONE way.

I enjoy playing defense much more then offense because I like being creative in how I attack an offense.

I like to vary my looks constantly and I like to get creative with 1 or 2 hot adjustments.

What the article is saying isnt wrong..it works in the realm of this video game, but it is hardly realistic.

You simply do not see very many teams play man coverage 70-80% Often.

It requires a TON of talent to do, and teams that do play like this, do so when they are very confident that they have a physical advantage across the board.

Miami and FSU were renowned for doing this back in their hey-days. They would line up right in front of your recievers, and dare you to beat them, because they were churning out 1st round draft pick DB personnel year after year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »