Home

NHL 2K9 Video (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on NHL 2K9 Video (Gamespot) within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NHL 2K9 Video (Gamespot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
My thoughts exactly. I think they're concentrating everything on the Wii because there's no competition there.

The fighting mechanics looked cool and could be very fun.
However, with the graphics lacking, I hope the controls are intuitive enough to give Wii owners an enjoyable title.

I'm still dying for some next-gen footage and/or information.

With NHL09's demo rumored to be dropping in the next 3 weeks, 2K needs to get on the ice (if not the arena all together).
Sounds like a good plan to me. You guys worry to much about their marketing. Your not making a dime off it so why do you care. The game is going to be even better than last year and that's all that really matters. 2k has been doing business this way for ever with the lack of information and late demos. So what, it won't stop me from buying and that's all that matters. The gloom and doom about how 2k does business is really getting old. I chose to focus on the positive but hey that's just me...........
Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Sounds like a good plan to me. You guys worry to much about their marketing. Your not making a dime off it so why do you care. The game is going to be even better than last year and that's all that really matters. 2k has been doing business this way for ever with the lack of information and late demos. So what, it won't stop me from buying and that's all that matters. The gloom and doom about how 2k does business is really getting old. I chose to focus on the positive but hey that's just me...........
What positive???? Where have you seen anything positive about this game? Do you mean the 6 screenshots we have? Talk about being a sheep yourself.

Besides, it's not me that should care about the dimes, it's 2K!

I've already pre-ordered NHL09 based on the hype alone. Yes, I can be a sheep to hype just like I was for Mass Effect and GTAIV (both pre-orders were worth the gamble).

With 2K, I have no idea what they have in store. They speak about a new engine built from the ground up and simplistic controls. Where's the proof? We're literally 5 weeks away from release and nobody on this planet has seen one video of gameplay for next-gen consoles - only a few measly screenshots.

When's the last time you saw a 2K developer on these boards? OS is arguably the biggest sports gaming community on the planet and yet 2K treats it like a mouthy, old, wife.
Meanwhile, teams like EA, SCEA and others chime in quite often to discuss their games and receive input from the people who DO matter - the people with the money.

With how tight money is these days I'll save mine for a company that actually gives a crap about the community and it's customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Patience. All I know is it's a must buy for myself. I'm sure the 360 version will be fine. You say "slightly better models"? I say it looks brilliant, but oh well to each his own. NHL 09 will be out at the same time so we will both be happy.
I agree that their models look a lot better than they did in 2K8, but if you think 2K9's look 'brilliant' then your head might explode when looking at 08's models. EA still has the best looking graphics and the best skating animations in the business.

Of course, I'd like to be able to compare the animations I've seen for 09 against 2K9 but then again, there aren't any 2K videos to do that with.

Last edited by Money99; 08-06-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 31

No Eddie, I just haven't bought into the whole "built from the ground up" term thrown around over and over when it comes to NHL2k9 like some have. The skaters look better, but the game on the whole, especially the Wii video from E3, looked and played just like 2k8 did. I'm sorry but that doesn't scream out built from the ground up to me. The lack of media less than a month to release sends a message that either 1, their focus is on the Wii due to a lack of focus from EA on that platform, or 2. They know already the're screwed when it comes to the 360/PS3 sku's and aren't even trying. Either scenario isn't a good thing for those of us waiting for an actual Next Gen 2k hockey game 4 years into Next/Current gen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

We have every right to be skeptical about 2K9. Last year's game, as much as I liked it, needed polish. It needed an overhaul. I don't see that from 2K9's screens or videos, but who knows what'll happen when a demo we can actually play comes out. It doesn't matter what the graphics look like in my eyes. If the game feels different, if there's enough substantial additions, I'll be pleased. If it's just another 2K8 or 2K7 or 2K6 with simplified controls, a few new animations and a Wii version, there's no need for me to pick this up.

This game will either live or die by the quality of the gameplay in its demo...providing, of course, that the demo comes out BEFORE the actual game does (I'm looking at YOU, MLB 2K8).
Old 08-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 47

It is pretty obvious to me they are putting their efforts in the Wii. I hope I am wrong.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
It is pretty obvious to me they are putting their efforts in the Wii. I hope I am wrong.
I think everyone is finally starting to see this as well.

RealmK broke it down perfectly as to why this is the case.
It's a shame because the 2K hockey series had a great foundation in 2k2 and 2K3. Some improvements were made over the years since then, but they never took that giant leap forward like other sports games did when the next-gen consoles came out.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 47

They can't compete with EA's hockey. I like last years game, but in the end EA's was just a better game. There are some things I really love about this game, but the bad out weigh the good. This year Ea's has step it up on the D side. So I think the Wii will be where they will put a lot of time in. I hope I am wrong, but I doubt it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
No Eddie, I just haven't bought into the whole "built from the ground up" term thrown around over and over when it comes to NHL2k9 like some have. The skaters look better, but the game on the whole, especially the Wii video from E3, looked and played just like 2k8 did. I'm sorry but that doesn't scream out built from the ground up to me. The lack of media less than a month to release sends a message that either 1, their focus is on the Wii due to a lack of focus from EA on that platform, or 2. They know already the're screwed when it comes to the 360/PS3 sku's and aren't even trying. Either scenario isn't a good thing for those of us waiting for an actual Next Gen 2k hockey game 4 years into Next/Current gen.
What? I thought you were getting that next current gen feeling from EA. I'm shocked. You said 2k9 played like 2k8? So you have an early copy? Your assumptions as to the lack of media are just that and nothing more. Really it's nothing but noise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »