Home

Thursday Morning Other Stuff (8-7-08)

This is a discussion on Thursday Morning Other Stuff (8-7-08) within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #17
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Thursday Morning Other Stuff (8-7-08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
So you'd rather spend 4 hours on a baseball game that stops all the time (commercials and what not) than a soccer game that has 90 minutes of action and no commercials except during the half?

Seems ridiculous to me. I could watch two soccer games in the span of one baseball, football, or basketball game.
Does soccer have breaks?

I'm not talking for myself, as my first post had a little in jest. I enjoyed Euro 2008 and the last WC. But, all of the really popular American sports have breaks. Soccer doesn't.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 08-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 62

Quote:
So you'd rather spend 4 hours on a baseball game that stops all the time (commercials and what not) than a soccer game that has 90 minutes of action and no commercials except during the half?

Seems ridiculous to me. I could watch two soccer games in the span of one baseball, football, or basketball game.
Define action............. Sure soccer doesn't have the breaks but it is hardly edge of your seat non-stop action like say even NASCAR (god I need to shower now).
Old 08-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Quote:

Action? Soccer? Puhhleeze. Guys running around on grass kicking a ball back and forth and then every now and then actually making an effort to score is hardly action at a pace that American's are accustomed to. It's not a money making venture and I'm not quite so sure it's all that exciting outside of a few times when the ball is down near the goal.

The thing with baseball is that anything can happen at any time. Soccer? Unless the ball is on one end of the field or the other, no team has a chance to score. With baseball, a team can score on any pitch so to say baseball is boring would be like calling soccer a vapid vanilla waste of time.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:09 PM   #20
Mr. Brightside

Acid's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
Does soccer have breaks?

I'm not talking for myself, as my first post had a little in jest. I enjoyed Euro 2008 and the last WC. But, all of the really popular American sports have breaks. Soccer doesn't.
No, soccer doesn't have breaks except for halftime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
Define action............. Sure soccer doesn't have the breaks but it is hardly edge of your seat non-stop action like say even NASCAR (god I need to shower now).
I challenge anyone to find a more exciting stretch than the last 10 minutes of a game with a team up 1-0 and the losing team is trying to equalize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Action? Soccer? Puhhleeze. Guys running around on grass kicking a ball back and forth and then every now and then actually making an effort to score is hardly action at a pace that American's are accustomed to. It's not a money making venture and I'm not quite so sure it's all that exciting outside of a few times when the ball is down near the goal.

The thing with baseball is that anything can happen at any time. Soccer? Unless the ball is on one end of the field or the other, no team has a chance to score. With baseball, a team can score on any pitch so to say baseball is boring would be like calling soccer a vapid vanilla waste of time.
The work that goes into a goal makes it so much more enjoyable than anything else in sports, IMO. Maybe I'm just weird for liking to watch a sport where 11 players are working together as a team to get a goal.
But we all live in denial
Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 PM   #21
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
No, soccer doesn't have breaks except for halftime.

I challenge anyone to find a more exciting stretch than the last 10 minutes of a game with a team up 1-0 and the losing team is trying to equalize.

The work that goes into a goal makes it so much more enjoyable than anything else in sports, IMO. Maybe I'm just weird for liking to watch a sport where 11 players are working together as a team to get a goal.

Stanley Cup Playoffs - OT

Game Set Match.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #22
MVP

yamabushi's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:

The thing with baseball is that anything can happen at any time, But doesnt. Soccer? Unless the ball is on one end of the field or the other, no team has a chance to score. With baseball, a team can score on any pitch so to say baseball is boring would be like calling soccer a vapid vanilla waste of time.
Fixed.
and nobodies explained golf yet.....
Old 08-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #23
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Stanley Cup Playoffs - OT

Game Set Match.
That's a good one. Let's see if I can't find another few:

Final drive of last year's super bowl...

Any time when a team is down and is driving for the win in football.

A neck and neck basketball game coming down to the last minute of play.

A tied baseball game coming into the 9th in a big game atmosphere.

The Daytona 500 where there are a couple laps left with a couple (or more) guys vying for the win.

The entire playoff of the US Open this year was quite exciting.

Federer/Nadal was way up there on the excitement list.

The fact of the matter is, every sport can be really exciting for those watching it. But when all a fan of a sport has to hang their hat on is watching guys work together as a team (something most sports share in common) and the last 10 minutes of the game, they are grasping at straws to make it exciting. I don't blame anyone for watching Soccer or for enjoying it. But it's not as appealing to American's and never will be. And for anyone to claim it is a better sport than any American sport because of the reasons cited above is...just not that convincing.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #24
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

Quote:
That's a good one. Let's see if I can't find another few:

Final drive of last year's super bowl...

Any time when a team is down and is driving for the win in football.

A neck and neck basketball game coming down to the last minute of play.

A tied baseball game coming into the 9th in a big game atmosphere.

The Daytona 500 where there are a couple laps left with a couple (or more) guys vying for the win.

The entire playoff of the US Open this year was quite exciting.

Federer/Nadal was way up there on the excitement list.

The fact of the matter is, every sport can be really exciting for those watching it. But when all a fan of a sport has to hang their hat on is watching guys work together as a team (something most sports share in common) and the last 10 minutes of the game, they are grasping at straws to make it exciting. I don't blame anyone for watching Soccer or for enjoying it. But it's not as appealing to American's and never will be. And for anyone to claim it is a better sport than any American sport because of the reasons cited above is...just not that convincing.
Ok, so we don't highjack this thread too much (and because I believe a vote of the masses is the only way to solve this) please vote and comment on today's frontpage poll stating your cases.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »