Home

FIFA 09 Hands-On

This is a discussion on FIFA 09 Hands-On within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
FIFA 09 Hands-On

We have just posted a hands-on preview for FIFA 09 after our very own Chase Becotte got to have some time with the game. Be sure to check back all week as Chase got to see several other games last week and will be posting other previews on them through the week!

Quote:
"Since moving over to next-gen, FIFA has struggled to create an experience that relies on skills and creativity rather than exploits and “money” tactics. Whether it was the ping-pong passing down the field or the bang ball up the sides of the pitch, FIFA has struggled to make itself seem like the real thing. The organic nature of soccer is certainly hard to re-create, but the developers of FIFA have taken strides with FIFA 09 to not only remove “money” tactics, but also create an experience that finally lives up to the promises of next-gen gameplay."

Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / PSP / NDS / PC
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20
The shooting and goalies sound much improved.

However, as for stealing the ball, does it still take two defenders to strip the ball away from most CPU players?

If you get in good defensive position, do the CPU players back off and look for other options, or just plow forward and try to run over you all the time?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Played human vs. human games, so can't say.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: FIFA 09 Hands-On

From what I've read about FIFA 09 so far, two things stand out to me:

1. As mentioned in this preview... The tactics. This has a chance to really make FIFA shine... Though it's not really clear if each team has sliders, or if it's a game by game thing that you need to adjust each time, depending on who you're playing. Whatever the case, the more teams play like they do in real life, the better.

(edit: just reread the part about tactics. I guess there are slots that can be assigned to a team pregame?)

2. I read elsewhere that the animations are better and a lot more responsive this year. Tighter controls would certainly be a nice addition.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 08-18-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
From what I've read about FIFA 09 so far, two things stand out to me:

1. As mentioned in this preview... The tactics. This has a chance to really make FIFA shine... Though it's not really clear if each team has sliders, or if it's a game by game thing that you need to adjust each time, depending on who you're playing. Whatever the case, the more teams play like they do in real life, the better.

2. I read elsewhere that the animations are better and a lot more responsive this year. Tighter controls would certainly be a nice addition.
1. You can save them outside the game, and they stay like that for next time.

2. Animations are way more impressive this year because they are more free-form and natural. Couldn't say yet if the controls are much tighter or not yet -- though I thought they were already pretty good in Euro.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Here's where I read about the tighter controls.

"...You don’t find yourself desperately pressing buttons to make a winning play only to discover that by the time the game has got around to executing it the opportunity has passed... ...And you don’t find yourself closed down by lunging defenders while you simply wait for the player and ball to get their **** together so you can pass the bloody ball..."

**** yeah I mean ******* ****.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 3
Chase: Thanks for the review. I know you played human v human, but would you happen to know if they have included CPU v CPU this year?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
Chase: Thanks for the review. I know you played human v human, but would you happen to know if they have included CPU v CPU this year?

Thanks
Sorry, no I don't.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »