Home

NBA 2K9 Hands-On Preview (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K9 Hands-On Preview (Gamespot) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:01 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
NBA 2K9 Hands-On Preview (Gamespot)

Gamespot has posted their hands-on preview of NBA 2K9.

Quote:
"In addition to the more cosmetic improvements in the game, new gameplay features have also been added to make the game more realistic than NBA 2K8. While the breadth of plays has carried over from 2K8, the off-ball movement of your AI controlled teammates is more consistent with the real NBA. Players automatically set off-ball screens to free up open teammates, cut to the rim when their defender cheats toward the ball, and generally space the court better. For those who do prefer calling set plays, 2K9’s addition of inbounds plays should make the final minutes of a close games a bit more technical. The improved AI applies to pick-and-rolls as well. After calling for a on-ball screen (done by pressing down on the right analog stick this year) players will either roll or pop depending on their actual tendencies."
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2K9: Hands On (Gamespot)

Good find AI

Quote:
An animation has been added for step-throughs if you manage to get your defender up in the air on a fake and talented dribblers can dribble out of double teams.

While signature animations were included in NBA 2K8, this year’s game applies the same principle to defensive players for the first time. Premier perimeter defenders like Bruce Bowen, Shane Battier, and Ron Artest now have access to unique defensive animations as will shot blockers like Marcus Camby and Kevin Garnett.
These two things sound great can't wait to see some of them in action.

All of the new things that was added to 2K9 sound great and really look like their going to improve the game greatly.

I really like the new perimeter defensive controls that will be offered this year I just hope the post defense got a face lift also

Last edited by Jano; 08-19-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10

Gamespot pointed out the little faults 2K9 has. Hopefully the 2K developers fix those little things if there's still time.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:18 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I don't agree with the Live player models looking better than 2K's though.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
You Dead Wrong

Jano's Arena

OVR: 27

Yeah neither do I but everyone has their own opinions.

Man I hope we get some gameplay videos this week I really want to see this game in action and judging from that preview it already sounds 10x better then 2K8.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 14

It's better than 2k8 in all regards but will have a difficult time beating live lol
I think Live will be good but not better than 2k.He also said that 2k9's player models doesn't look better than Live 08 models when 2k8 models look better than Live 08 models but Live had better textures and etc.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 AM   #7
No Way

demencia_total's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifriedrice
Gamespot pointed out the little faults 2K9 has. Hopefully the 2K developers fix those little things if there's still time.
I'm glad they did this, even with probably limited playing time. The fact is that a lot of these previews and hands on from non sports gaming sites come only with light praise and very little insight, so it's fresh to see them point out things that they saw weren't up to standard, even if they are nitpicking. Hopefully some of the rough edges get smoothed by release, but without a doubt, 1st day purchase for me barring any unforeseen catastrophe after playing the demo (if there is one, that is).
Old 08-19-2008, 01:32 AM   #8
MVP

Parasight's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
These include herky-jerky animation transitions (especially when the user changes his mind mid-animation), offensive players not falling to the ground on a charge or block (the defenders do though), play immediately stopping when the whistle blows following a foul or violation (the ball immediately drops from the player’s hands), and small guards sinking seemingly impossible shots while surrounded by bigs and other times get rejected from behind (it just seems totally arbitrary).
That part gave me an idea. We should be given a small window to do whatever after a whistle, as some players do in real life. Some take shots, and others goal tend said shots. It's not a necessary feature, but it would be neat to include.

I would also love to see more physical charge/block animations as specified by the writer. The offensive player is always on their feet regardless of if they are being called on a charge or being blocked. There isn't enough falling really, and the falling that is there is totally garbage (collapsing like your player had just died because he couldn't dribble past the defender).

Increased trade slots will be interesting, I've always felt 3 was simply far too limiting to get real "blockbuster" deals done (see: KG to Boston).

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »