Home

NHL 09 Video Blogs w/ Full Game Video (EA Sports)

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Video Blogs w/ Full Game Video (EA Sports) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
NHL 09 Video Blogs w/ Full Game Video (EA Sports)

EA Sports has updated their NHL 09 blog with a ton of video blogs.

Quote:
"I make a blind backhand pass that gets picked off followed by the cpu rushing a bad pass that goes behind his player and misses. This year, you really have to be conscious of your passes and make the smart hockey play. Blind backhand passes under pressure will be slower and less accurate thus more susceptible to being picked off. After making this mistake once or twice, I guarantee that you'll learn that you have to use your defensive partner as an outlet or try to skate it around the net yourself. The fact that you have to make the right 'hockey plays' are something that we're very proud of as it's one of the things that we set out to achieve at the start of this cycle."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
Pro

Lubey's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: WOW. Major update to the blog section!

Gonna watch it after I take a shower thanks a lot!!
Old 08-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Good stuff. As a recovering "EA basher", I gotta admit that they are going out of their way to listen to the fans and communicate.

I mean, posting game clips of human vs cpu right on the website on the hardest difficulty. How great is that?

The gameplay looks really good. Although the video showing the CPU clearing the front of the net looks a little extreme. If the Hab player hits him any further, he'll be in the parking lot. Not a big deal, but it looks a little goofy (does that open up a hole for a d-man to pinch into that huge space, I know I'm thinking of a play for that already).

I've been really encouraged by media from both games. This should be an amazing year for hockey games

Here's the link to the blogs for the lazy (like me)
http://www.easports.com/nhl09/blog.jsp
Old 08-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

i love clip 2, how the cpu player tips the pass away. For those who played hitz pro, you will remember how hard it was to get a pass through with the right sliders, because the cpu would always deflect the pass away. I pray its like this in nhl 09.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
i love clip 2, how the cpu player tips the pass away. For those who played hitz pro, you will remember how hard it was to get a pass through with the right sliders, because the cpu would always deflect the pass away. I pray its like this in nhl 09.
Haven't been able to watch the videos yet (at work), but if this is a regular part of the game, that's a huge step in the right direction. The producer made a point of stating that AI players (hopefully user teammates as well) will react to passes in their area & attempt to reach out & deflect them.

I've said before that the lack of this was a problem, as unless the defender was directly in the way of an attempted pass, he made no effort to stop it in 08. Anyone who watches hockey knows that this just isn't the way it is in the NHL. Even at the lowest levels, players are taught/told to keep their stick on the ice whenever possible for just the reason (and for offense as well). Hopefully, this kind of stuff (the quote) happens regularly when appropriate...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Rookie

wildhockey19's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
The gameplay looks really good. Although the video showing the CPU clearing the front of the net looks a little extreme. If the Hab player hits him any further, he'll be in the parking lot. Not a big deal, but it looks a little goofy (does that open up a hole for a d-man to pinch into that huge space, I know I'm thinking of a play for that already).9/blog.jsp
Lol.....ya....I chuckled a little as I watched it. But I do like how they attempted to address that feature, just wished for a bit more realistic way of going about it! All in all continue to be very impressed with this game.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
Here's the link to the blogs for the lazy (like me)
http://www.easports.com/nhl09/blog.jsp
Boy, those are some terrific clips/comments he's posted. The game looks like it took another big leap as far as improved gameplay goes.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #8
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

So many great things

Different teams *should* play different. Someone get the ncaa team on the phone and explain this one to them please.

Quote:
One other thing I want to point out before wrapping this up. Not sure if you were tracking the score through each of the clips but I actually lost 4-0 to the cpu (this is a good time to reiterate that I was playing on Superstar). More importantly is the fact that I was playing against Montreal who is a team that will continue to come at you whether they are up or down. You're going to notice that traditional trapping teams such as Minnesota are going to sit back once they get a lead and force you to come at them. They'll go into their 1-2-2 trap and plug up the neutral zone forcing you to flip it in deep. You're going to see a lot of low scoring, one goal games when playing against teams like this because they're not going to give up much.
Pt2, A long pass rejected, very nice. My only concern there is the pass would have been tape to tape other than the defender breaking it up. Still though, looks good.

Pt3, the pushing in the slot was great, but got out of hand there when the defender pushed the guy from the bottom of the circle back to the faceoff dot. Penalty?

Pt 4, loved the deflection animation, loved that the puck stayed in play.

Pt 5, good to see the cpu knows how to use the dump button on the PK to clear the zone.

Pt 6, Wow that was a cheap shot, was looking for 'little Wayne's head' to start bleeding.

Pt 7, I liked the defender getting his stick low animation to take away the pass as he backed into the zone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »