Home

NHL 2K9 Demo Available on the Marketplace

This is a discussion on NHL 2K9 Demo Available on the Marketplace within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 47
Re: NHL 2K9 Demo Available on the Marketplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Scott, you were right!

Love the new Pro Evolution controls.

Gone is the massive checks that knock you off the puck as soon as you shoot it.

Skating feels realistic... speed burst is finally like it should be.

Game flows very smooth, just like last year.

I think with the commentators, penalties, and a harder difficulty, I'm going to love this game. Game speed seems good and although the players don't look like EA's game, everything else is beautiful.

Oh.. crowds are the best in any sports game - really get into the game, nice!

Is it the end all of hockey games? No... but for me, it's what they set out to do, create a fun hockey game.
Yeah I agree, I just DL it now for my 360. I am going to see how better or difference or the same it is as the PS3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 PM   #26
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
Very impressed. I didn't think I would be either since videos of the game (although usually small and grainy) make it seem like the same thing as the past couple of years.

It's not at all, it feels so much better, there is so much more weight, and I'm so glad they completely ditched the stretched-out no frills, bulk-barn style menues of the past. It's 3D, it's intense, even the sounds is so much more 3D and way more compelling.

After playing the demo, and seeing the new fighting, I've got to say that I'm seriously considering picking this up and absolutley going to rent if not buying right at release. The last hockey purchase for me was a few years ago so this is saying a lot.
Yeah, once you play the demo for yourself.. it's really and fun and exciting game to play. I'm seeing some really great goals and a bunch of variety. Skill players play like well.. skill players. Love the crowd, again.. I can't say enough of the atmostphere.

Really can't wait to pick up my copy on Sept 9th!

The goalie animations do not seem as good as last year and I don't like the faceoff system as much as last year.. but overall, there is alot to like here.

I would bet on the next highest difficulty setting, the game could get quite better as far as AI goes.

I need to see a fight!
Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Yeah, once you play the demo for yourself.. it's really and fun and exciting game to play. I'm seeing some really great goals and a bunch of variety. Skill players play like well.. skill players. Love the crowd, again.. I can't say enough of the atmostphere.

Really can't wait to pick up my copy on Sept 9th!

The goalie animations do not seem as good as last year and I don't like the faceoff system as much as last year.. but overall, there is alot to like here.

I would bet on the next highest difficulty setting, the game could get quite better as far as AI goes.

I need to see a fight!
Yeah I really like it. It is the exactly the same as the PS3. Maybe if it is on a harder level the goalie animation will be better, but to me they are fine. I did a sweet deke to get the goalie to sift then I did a top shelf. It was freaking sweet. I love the goals in this game and the skating is the best I have ever played. I love Ea's skating too, but this just have more of a feeling of weight. Can't wait for both of these games to drop. It is a great year for hockey. I hope this really starts to make the other try to out duel each other.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 31

Pros: Checking and skating animations are much smoother than 2k8
game Intro is pretty cool with the exception of some herky jerky with the whole team on the ice, I noticed alot of studdering/warping. I'm guessing this is just due to it being old code though, still impressive none the less.
AI is better positionally and while they still try to hit more than I'd like, I hope sliders this year can actually remedy that.
Crowd sounds better, still not as good as EA's but much much improved

Cons: Pro evo while better than the hybred mess 2k8 was, still doesn't offer as much control as EA's skill stick, stick handling animations are still pretty stiff looking

Graphically while the arenas do look better, player models still look last gen, and player faces are terrible.

Goalies seem worse than 2k8's, perhaps its just due to it being an early build but the animations seem off to me a tad.

Not big on 2k's puck physics in the demo, on shots the puck just sort of dies when it hits a defender rather than deflect like it should.

Jury is still out on the AI imo, it does seem to play better defensively but from the handful of periods I played it still doesn't know what to do with the puck on offense aside from skate in and shoot. Granted this may just be due to the difficulty level.

Overall I think its a solid solid start for VC on the series, its not quite at the level EA's game currently is imo, but I believe within a cycle should the pending buyout not happen, 2k hockey can once again return to its past glory, or at least reclaim a portion of it.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 AM   #29
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Awesome demo for what looks to be an outstanding game. The checking, skating, animations and puck physics are all top notch. The presentation has been upgraded big time. Love the intro's. Player models don't bother me, besides it''s the game play that counts and VC has done a fantastic job with this rebuilt game. It's a huge leap from 2k8. No more checking fest, and much better AI. The king is back......................
Old 08-22-2008, 12:45 AM   #30
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
Stop digging through posts in order to find something to bitch about. Either play the demo and comment on it - or go away. This thread is to post about the demo, not to try to nitpick at other people's posts in an attempt to start arguments.

I've no idea who you are - but you would certainly appear to be unworthy of discussing this matter with any further So I'll leave it at that, and hopefully this can get back on track, instead of being dragged off course.
He's does that often, jumps in a thread and says something smart to start an argument and then moves on. I put him on ignore long ago. Anyway I agree, I always felt EA's hockey was more arcade and definitely not near the simulation 2k's is. This year 2k has taken that to a new level IMO. EA looks improved this year too, but I'm not sure how long it will hold my attention. I like the detail that 2k puts in their games. Can't wait for this one.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:38 AM   #31
Banned

I just want to see these two go at it every year. Like Madden and 2k used too. They both have some good thing going. I hope they continue. To bad they couldn't come together and make the perfect hockey game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2008, 04:56 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Wait a minute,don't you have a vandetta against EA as well?
I've been saying for a year+ that their next-gen NHL and FIFA series are two of the best sports series ever. Don't know how that qualifies as a vendetta. I don't buy Madden because NFL 2K5 blows it way, 4 years later. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »