Home

NHL 09 Beta Screenshots: Sliders, Rosters, Ratings

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Beta Screenshots: Sliders, Rosters, Ratings within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: NHL 09 Beta Screenshots: Sliders, Rosters, Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
I just couldve sworn the player made the slashing animation from 08 when you press triangle in the demo.
They do...I tried to use it to hook and ended up slashing the crap out of everybody in the demo.

Gameplay sliders look exactly the same as 08...not a bad thing as I found a set I really liked. But I was hoping for a "stick lift effectiveness" slider or something like that.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 47

I don't know how the Sharks are only 85 total D. They had one of the best D last year and this year it will be pretty much the same. Oh well. I think they are rated to high for O. I think it should be 88 D and 83 O.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:33 PM   #19
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

The Poise rating inflates overalls for the veteran players. As for having an effect on the rest of the attributes during gameplay -- I have no idea.

I re-rated the entire league last year after the first roster update using stats from NHL.com to get a better read on checking, blocked shots, faceoffs, etc. It actually played out quite well, I think. Too bad the only reason that I had to do it was being unemployed for a few months and there's no way I want to go through that again...
Old 09-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
They do...I tried to use it to hook and ended up slashing the crap out of everybody in the demo.

Gameplay sliders look exactly the same as 08...not a bad thing as I found a set I really liked. But I was hoping for a "stick lift effectiveness" slider or something like that.
ok, so I am right. There is no hook. Hopefully its just a demo thing.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 22
The ratings suck, just look at players like KronWall or Naslund (81) compared to Chelios and similar. Overall EAs rating outsourcing seems to love the north americans and piss on the Euros. Lol at the high Chicago and Edmonton ratings compared to other new comers. Consistency = 0
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2008, 10:32 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeberg
It's also important to remember that the NHL team has previously said that Overall ratings are not really a good judge of actual player capability. That is probably why they weren't included in the IGN spreadsheets.

Chelios (for example) probably gets a rating boost because he has a high leadership rating (just a guess, but he is old!). I distinctly remember David Littman using Phaneuf as an example last year. He didn't have the highest rating (overall) but had one of the highest ratings for checking and slapshot. He was still a beast to use even though his rating didn't rank him in the top (fill in the blank) d-men in the league.

What was annoying though, is whenever you had the CPU create lines, it based it completely off of the overall ranking even though Littman and crew were quick to state that gamers should look at all of a players ratings when choosing which line he will be on, not just overall.
I agree. The issue I have with it is that the CPU bases it's depth chart according to the OV alone.
In the demo, Chelios is on the 2nd pairing with Kronwall. Meanwhile, Stuart is on the third pairing with Lebda sitting out.

In the SC finals, Chelios didn't play one game, with both Lilja and Lebda getting the nod over him.
I like Cheli but if his OV is 84 then the system values certain attributes too highly.

Anyway, it's not that big of a deal and I know the EA development team doesn't actually do any of the ratings. But I wish they would consider getting someone else to do it for them.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #23
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
ok, so I am right. There is no hook. Hopefully its just a demo thing.
Did you try holding Y/Triangle? I did and it looked like my guy did the attempted hooking animation from 08. I only played for about 45 minutes and I can't be sure as I didn't actually hook anyone, but it sure looked like he was trying.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 9

Y is hook if your actually near someone as far as i can tell. if you're using it in open ice you might get the slash and after the whistle it slashes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »