Home

NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
the money goal is going to be the one footed snap top shelf. the cpu even does it almost every chance it gets. malkin does it in the shootout every time and sir sid does it in the friggin defensive tutorial.
Yea, I found out as Crosby I'm deadly in the slot with a snapper, the thing of it is though it's not just glove high its also the spot between his upper arm and lower leg when he goes into a certain save. But, if you are going to be playing it online then it should not be a problem as human players will know of this and the D-Men will stop it and the goalie will be a human. Also I did this on all star, maybe on the highest difficulty it won't happen as much.

http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=10205120
Old 09-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #18
Rookie

btown12's Arena

OVR: 17
Loving this so far, but I really hope they fix the goalie animation in the shootout where he sweeps the puck back into his own net. I've had Osgood do this 3 times already in only 5 shootouts, really frustrating when he makes the save but ends up putting it back in himself.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by btown12
Loving this so far, but I really hope they fix the goalie animation in the shootout where he sweeps the puck back into his own net. I've had Osgood do this 3 times already in only 5 shootouts, really frustrating when he makes the save but ends up putting it back in himself.
This has already been fixed for the release version.

Unrelated: I think the most fun I've had in BAP so far was in the first few minutes of trying it out: I was Zett and just happened to make an all out run towards Crosby.

Knocked the poor guy out :P
Old 09-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #20
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

downloaded the demo, played a few be a pro games as each team, and play now as just the wings (bc camera goes up lol)

def love the feel of the game. i assume these are on default pro,as,hof, settings.. the pace is very nice, a bit slowed down from last years default speed and IMO pretty spot on.

i love dumping the puck, man thats great lol..

pushing the puck is def a nice touch for a bit of speed burst.

one timers not connecting is GREAT

stick lifts are AWESOME

hitting seems toned down. although still to much of it going on, but whatev lol.

i see a CUSTOM controls option which is gonna be sweet. i always liked using classic controls in ea bc of going back and forth between both games, but with that said i missed out on a few controls like laying stick down etc. well it looks like this year i will be able to customize what i want.. wooo hooo

seen a lot of new goalie animations, Fleury and Divegood (hehe) played solid between the pipes.

man what i great year we have in store for us in the hockey game department..
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #21
Pro

Bruin26's Arena

OVR: 9

I just got through playing the game and I have to say I was really impressed. Loved the BAP mode as well and think that was a great idea to include that in the demo.

I played the demo last year and just wasn't liking it for some reason. Not sure if I gave it enough of a chance or not, but this time it only took me one game to really get into playing it. I love the feel of using the stick for shooting. I just got back into playing hockey games I guess a year and a half ago or a little more. I played 2k last year and had a blast with it. I don't care about the companies as long as i have fun with what I buy and I did, but I think this might make me purchase this game.

I need to look into the franchise mode a bit because it always seemed people felt the 2k franchise was better. Anyway...not trying to turn this into a discussion about the two games. Just wanted to say that I enjoy the demo so much this year a long with the BAP mode that it looks to have hooked me.

Last edited by Bruin26; 09-03-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 9

i haven't found much use for the pokecheck so far. maybe it's one of those things you need to play a ton to figure out how to use. and also the cpu rarely makes stupid passes, so it's hard to tell how good it is or isn't at blocking passing lanes.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

AWESOME demo review, Timmay! However, I can't believe w/ some of the flaws you listed that you still find this to be such a good game. Once again though, great 'review'. THANKS!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 5

In playing both sides (Crosby (ugh) and Zett), I've learned that I'm an absolutely terrible center, but a decent winger (which I wanted to play). I still didn't score before I had to go to work this morning, but I was able to nail two assists. Like someone mentioned earlier, you often feel like a defensive play or assist is as good as a goal.

Now, I don't know if it's as good as a goal - because I think contributing and causing the end result are two very different powerful feelings, but they feel great nonetheless.

I've never played hockey (outside of floor hockey in elementary school ages and ages ago) so actually paying attention to where I need to be, depending on where the rest of my team is, is something that I'm enjoying learning.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »