Home

NBA 2K9 Review

This is a discussion on NBA 2K9 Review within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: NBA 2K9 Review

It's a good review, although I don't understand the online aspects of it. To say the team up is a "great addition" when no one has been able to really play it without lag is odd. It's been the one area of this game that has been really bad and the review should have downgraded them for it. Especially considering that Live is fluid and easy to use.

Maybe the 5 on 5 game was before it came out and without anyone on the servers, but if they try a game right now, it'll certainly be an adventure and frustrating experience.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #18
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
If the online issues persist we'll come back and write another story about it for sure.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #19
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Great review.

Yeah, the online issues are brutal right now, but they know it and said they're on top of it. It was fixed with other games that had similar issues, there is no reason to think that it won't be fixed with this game. It's very early in the game's release, and they're experiencing more success and traffic than they anticipated.

People complaining about the success of the AI need to chill. I know you're frustrated, but 2k has gone through the trouble of putting in a very deep slider set and rosters that you can customize to your heart's desire. If you use these tools, you will realize that you own the most realistic basketball game ever.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 32
9 is generous. But, it is a good title. I feel that with some amazing slider tweaks, the game is pretty solid. Besides, considering the alternative - a 9 fits.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4
online can be fixed so that can be an exeption, everything good about this game outweighs the bad tremendously, a 9 is a good score but a high 8 wouldve been better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2008, 05:04 PM   #22
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
To give you a view into the review process, Richard started writing this review a few days ago and battled between an 8.5 and 9.0 for a few days before going with the one. I think that shows that scores are once again a pain, but that's a whole other story.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:13 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
This game in its current state is an 8 at best.

That said, it has the potential to become a 9 if they fix the online issues (lag, server instability, ranked difficulty level, etc.) and missing features (flex schedule, 2K Cam).

Until then, I don't see any reason to rate the game highly based on its potential when the online portion of the game is bordering on unplayable.

Last edited by jyoung; 10-13-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
If the online issues persist we'll come back and write another story about it for sure.
I just don't get the huge gap in this game and NBA Live. Sure 2K is better gameplay wise and has more belles and whistles. But Live is superior to 2K online by such a wide margin it's sick. With the number of people who play strictly online, I think this should weigh heavily on the score.

Maybe in the future breaking the reviews into different parts and scoring those individually might be best. It would be helpful for me since there are some games I'd only buy for online play. It seems the 9 vs 7.5 is strictly for offline with no regard for online play factored in at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »