Home

Phil Frazier Says No 3rd Patch or DLC For Madden 09

This is a discussion on Phil Frazier Says No 3rd Patch or DLC For Madden 09 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:28 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Madden update information

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave374
I'd like to know this myself. I know nothing was promised, but this was as close as it came to a promise.
IMO, you guys should never have even mentioned a peep about DLC until you had a definitive answer.
well for gods sake the sliders should never have been taken out in the first place. Why they want to go backwards with this game is purely a decision based on money. So they can put them back in next year to sell people the game. There can be no other reason.

And then they imply there will be a dlc to help fix some of the stuff that was taken out. And surprise surprise, no DLC after a month of waiting??? Did they have to wait this long to tell us?

I would have even paid for the damn thing. As it is now, its going to take a LOT for me to even consider buying this game next year.

Last edited by treq21; 10-17-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #26
MVP

edaddy's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
Sounds like the bait and switch tactic used to dupe customers..
While I can see some people thinking it was a bait and switch I can't see people being duped..I mean cmon if people didn't research Madden before they bought it that's on them..By now everyone should know the EA cycle it's rinse and repeat..like clockwork..They (the reps) will be in here sporadically from Jan- May then in full force as the release date and Community days are near...They will tout old features like they are new explain why this is the best Madden to date (with the help of Community leaders) and then proceed to market their game..marketing will be oversaturated and we will all be intrigued and caught up in the hype until the actual game comes out(EA banks on this) and reality sets in..a patch or two will come out for glaring issues and then the cycle will repeat..While I hate to put it in simplistic terms that's basically it in a nutshell...Anyone who doesn't research or rent before they buy then complain really has no gripe...it's the EA way ..I howver do repect Ian and Phil for subjecting themselves to people but at the end they are in it to sell games and make money thats the bottom line.. and if adding in old features and calling them new as well as marginally improving game play each year helps them make money then so be it ..it is obviously working..lol ...DLC was never promised however they way to put it implied that it was almost a done deal, and I could see how people might be upset about this...
Old 10-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #27

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
While I can see some people thinking it was a bait and switch I can't see people being duped..I mean cmon if people didn't research Madden before they bought it that's on them..By now everyone should know the EA cycle it's rinse and repeat..like clockwork..They (the reps) will be in here sporadically from Jan- May then in full force as the release date and Community days are near...They will tout old features like they are new explain why this is the best Madden to date (with the help of Community leaders) and then proceed to market their game..marketing will be oversaturated and we will all be intrigued and caught up in the hype until the actual game comes out(EA banks on this) and reality sets in..a patch or two will come out for glaring issues and then the cycle will repeat..While I hate to put it in simplistic terms that's basically it in a nutshell...Anyone who doesn't research or rent before they buy then complain really has no gripe...it's the EA way ..I howver do repect Ian and Phil for subjecting themselves to people but at the end they are in it to sell games and make money thats the bottom line.. and if adding in old features and calling them new as well as marginally improving game play each year helps them make money then so be it ..it is obviously working..lol ...DLC was never promised however they way to put it implied that it was almost a done deal, and I could see how people might be upset about this...
you will probably have many who disagree with you but i agree 100% with everything you said...

now for the next 8 months we will have to listen to people gripe, moan and complain about everything that is wrong with the game when the decision to buy was theirs and theirs alone...
Old 10-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I think it's very possible MS and/or Sony put the kibosh on this late in the process, or right before testing. Think about it - This would have simply been an attempt to get around MS's 3rd patch limitation - do you really think MS wouldn't have realized this? And if that was the case, don't hold your breath on anyone ever announcing it.

I will say that with that possibility existing, it probably wasn't a good move on EA's part to treat this as having such a high chance of being released, though.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
you will probably have many who disagree with you but i agree 100% with everything you said...

now for the next 8 months we will have to listen to people gripe, moan and complain about everything that is wrong with the game when the decision to buy was theirs and theirs alone...
well, not me. I'm done. Lifes to short to complain about a damn game. I'm selling it tomorrow, and I'll just play something else.

I used to really look forward to madden. No more.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #30
Rookie

PioneerRaptor's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Madden update DLC/3rd patch information

You can always buy the PS2/Xbox version. I sold my Madden CE edition for the 360 and I am now having a very good time with the PS2 version :]
Old 10-17-2008, 07:49 PM   #31
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Since the thread I commented in earler was closed, here goes...

The DLC not being released is no big deal, IMO. Is it disappointing? Sure, but only from the standpoint of people having their expectations raised higher than they probably should have been. I asked in the other thread (rhetorically, mostly) what about the DLC would make the game so much more playable? The answer I got (as expected) was CPU sliders. Flashback to the last few years and try to think of one of the big gripes of previous Maddens (non gameplay related). SLIDERS. "They're useless," "They don't work," They don't do enough," Only some work, and not right." The list of gripes about the effectiveness of the Madden sliders was nearly endless. Yet, these are the "game-fixing, Madden is now playable" solution everyone was breathlessly waiting for? Come on fellas.

I'm not bashing Madden, because I personally think 09 is not too bad, but this is all just another case of expectations being too high. Let's say they did release the DLC. Most of you who are so upset now would be complaining that it didn't help the game or didn't work right, etc. I also recall some of those slinging the "it's official, I'm done with Madden" type lines right now, are pretty much on repeat from when patch #2 was released. You're no more or less done now than you were then. You can blame the "EA hype machine" all you want, but at this point, I don't think people can say they bought the game in anticipation of any great improvement. The DLC was never promised or even probable. In fact, there was quite a bit of caution on the part of the devs when it came to DLC. I will watch Madden with reservation as I do each year and make an informed decision about whther or not to purchase. There are aspects that frustrate me too, but I'm not all ramped up because I know what I payed for (basically HC, plus another fair football game...lol). Again, it just seems to be another case of expectations exceeding reality, IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-17-2008, 07:53 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 10

I still don't like the delay in the snap that they added in patch #2.

Really hope in Madden 10 they make it about 3 seconds instead of 5 minimum or let us choose with a slider perhaps.

For someone like me who plays 5 min qtrs it was painful playing the likes of the Colts.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »