Home

FIFA Soccer 09 Review

This is a discussion on FIFA Soccer 09 Review within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Rookie

htfdthewhale's Arena

OVR: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Odd review. Why aren't the major Manager Mode issues touched upon? That tiny little blurb is hardly enough information regarding the mode. No wonder EA doesn't fix these issues year after year. No one calls them out on it. Fifa-Blog did the same thing. You should re-write the review to include these issues, do you even know what they are?

As mentioned above, the tourney team selection is absolutely false. I created a pseudo World Cup last night and picked every team myself.

Also not sure about zero offensive ambition on PRO level. One major issue with the game is the pacing. It is way to fast and unrealistic. Teams can't wait to get to your goal. There is no build up at all, it is rush, rush, rush. With the tactics, at least teams get there in different ways (short passing, wings, long balls over the top), but they still get there way to fast. I wish they would slow down.
I've been looking into FIFA for the Manager Mode. Could you breifly detail some of the major issues, poster? Much appreciated.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #10
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
I was really excited about FIFA 09 after having played FIFA 08 a ton. It was disapoointing to learn that not only did the Manager Mode not really improve, but EA actually took some things like the ability to change knit numbers out. I guess the dev team wanted to just focus on the pitch this year, but Manager's Mode needs to finally get some love too. It bugs me that other teams are picking up star players in the transfer market and not playing them too.

I'm going with PES 09 this year because the demo showed me Seabass' team has finally got its current gen act together this year. Having taken last year off to focus on FIFA 08, I find myself missing Master League mode too.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: FIFA Soccer 09 Review

I would give this game a 9. Online is far more fun then Madden to me, and the game play is the best of all sports games released this year IMO.

Be a player is actually a viable online option that really makes you feel like you are playing in a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm seriously at a total loss as to why anyone--short of being stuck on a 56k or being a Dynasty Mode freak--would focus on offline modes. And if you think PES is going to solve your issues with AI :LOL have fun with that. PES AI has been getting progressively worse since Winning Eleven 9 (which was the last semi-decent single-player football game) and, whereas FIFA AI is typically dreadfully dull and uninspired, PES AI simply outright cheats constantly (I can't speak to FIFA 09 vs. AI because I've stopped wasting my time with it).

Simply put, if you're playing single player only, you're a masochist. Get online and join a club, play with some friends in Be-a-Pro Teams, etc. Football vs. AI has been a joke this entire gen and it always leads to frustration, annoyance, and boredom. Here's hoping EA realizes this and puts a bit more polish in to the ambitious online modes (e.g., in-game player stat-tracking for Clubs, better league interface, etc.).

Last edited by AstroLad; 10-20-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroLad
I'm seriously at a total loss as to why anyone--short of being stuck on a 56k or being a Dynasty Mode freak--would focus on offline modes. And if you think PES is going to solve your issues with AI :LOL have fun with that. PES AI has been getting progressively worse since Winning Eleven 9 (which was the last semi-decent single-player football game) and, whereas FIFA AI is typically dreadfully dull and uninspired, PES AI simply outright cheats constantly (I can't speak to FIFA 09 vs. AI because I've stopped wasting my time with it).
I prefer offline play for Fifa because:

-I'm not very good at it, and would get destroyed online

-Soccer/football is not my #1 game. I simply don't have as much time to devote to it to make myself better. In order to play online, you better practice a lot, and I don't have the time. I play online for NHL, and that's it. Even then, I stick to franchise offline most of the time.

-People online are... not always conductive to a perfect gaming experience. I only have 1-2 hours to play most nights (if that) and I don't need some teenager screaming in my ear for that time. Also there are so many cheesers and idiots ruining every game out there.

-I don't always want to play ManU, Barca or whatever other top teams everyone uses online every time.

-AI in sports games should not be dismissed as irrelevant. Lots of people play offline. Every AI cheats... they have to or we'd all figure them out. Still, you can get good single player sports games. PES 2008 was fun offline (far from perfect, but it gave you a good offline game). The PES 2009 demo feels like the AI is much improved (we don't have the final version here). The backline is much smarter and they defend the wings better.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 3

Well I definitely don't mean to say there's no purpose in offline whatsoever, just that my experiences with all of the next-gen games have made me swear off it (especially considering how much more fun online play can be). Your complaints about online play are valid, but I would point out that they all relate to playing with random people. If you can play with a group of people you know (e.g., from here), then I don't think any of them would be applicable. I wouldn't say playing with randoms is worthless, but it pales in comparison to playing with a group of friends/acquaintances.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:07 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdthewhale
I've been looking into FIFA for the Manager Mode. Could you breifly detail some of the major issues, poster? Much appreciated.
The main issues have to do with the CPU teams not managing their lineups well. They play the same lineup every game regardless of fatigue and they don't even insert big name players that they buy on the transfer market. Those guys basically sit on the bench, occasionally being subbed late in games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2008, 03:41 PM   #16
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
The main issues have to do with the CPU teams not managing their lineups well. They play the same lineup every game regardless of fatigue and they don't even insert big name players that they buy on the transfer market. Those guys basically sit on the bench, occasionally being subbed late in games.
I wonder if some of these things will be patched.

I consider offline mode a fantastic way to get your game tight enough for online play. It is really key to figure out what formations work for your style.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »