Home

Quick-Hitting NBA 2K9 Defensive Strategies

This is a discussion on Quick-Hitting NBA 2K9 Defensive Strategies within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
MVP

Radja's Arena

OVR: 17
last year there was a practice focus page that i can't find this year. i used it in 2k8 to make my players focus on defense 24% of the practice and 19% everything else. it worked to make my defense in 2k8 much better as the season wore on.

the other thing for 2k8 was team chemistry. when my team chemistry was high my offense and defense played much better. this is a carry over from the college hoops series which, IMHO, was almost perfect and the hidden secret to the games success.

check your chemistry and see what happens as it improves/decreases.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 PM   #10
MVP

Kully's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Quick-Hitting NBA 2K9 Defensive Strategies

The funny thing about chemistry, I ended up turning it off after a while. It is a good addition, but I feel that this year, like in previous NBA 2K games, the boosts provided by team chemistry to player ratings was too high. I shut it off after a year in my association.

I want to agree with jfsolo, but there is something in my gut trying to tell me that there has to be more to it, that I'm missing something. The AI will "half ***" it too much for me. It's not nearly enough for me to hate the game (I enjoy 2K9 when I'm not yelling at the screen lol), but it's enough to be an annoyance.

It seems I have to babysit all the CPU teammates equally. My forwards will want to switch on screens even if the screen misses and I'm still locked on to the offensive player, leaving their man open. Battier will let CJ Miles backdoor him a couple times a quarter, Artest will slowly chase his man off a screen. It just feels like something is wrong at my end or something, even though I keep opponents to a respectable fg percentage.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Mercy Extended. John 3:16

texbuk84's Arena

OVR: 34
2k9 is awesome and my spurs gonna win it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5
Great article! But can somebody elaborate precisely when I should go for a steal in the post against a bigger player?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: Quick-Hitting NBA 2K9 Defensive Strategies

I catch myself sometimes when I'm losing by about 10+, I start trying to rain 3's but I just put myself into a deeper hole.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:49 PM   #14
Rookie

SpartanBaller's Arena

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiketsu
Great article! But can somebody elaborate precisely when I should go for a steal in the post against a bigger player?
In the post you want to hit the steal button right when the post player hits the button for his post move.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 13
Great article.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 1
this is a very helpful article... but i have been playin 2k for a few weeks now tryin 2 figure out more formula 2 add to this thread n "i think may be able 2 help Jai'O" wen ur on defence i notice that the team does not react unless u press the the stick in the direction of da ball, x or square button dependin on the console n how u chose 2 attempt the steal...the team react to wat u try 2 do on defence... another tip for steal wen playin man 2 man D wen guardin the player wen u would like 2 make proper steal let go of the LT or L2 dependin console n press the stick in the direction of the ball is travellin or press x n u should become a tenicious ball defender

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »