Home

NBA 2K9 Dominates Basketball Sales (Pasta Padre)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K9 Dominates Basketball Sales (Pasta Padre) within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NBA 2K9 Dominates Basketball Sales (Pasta Padre)

Pasta Padre has the scoop.

Quote:
"The full Top 20 in sales for October has been released by NPD. NBA 2K9 placed at #9 with the 360 version selling 202,000 copies while the PS3 version came in at #17. Not even the 360 version of NBA Live 09 was able to reach the Top 20.

This is a huge increase year over year for the NBA 2K series. 2K8 didn’t make the Top 10 last year meaning it sold less than 117,000 copies on the 360. While many sports titles haven’t seemed to grow much with increased user base clearly this isn’t the case here. 2K9 has practically doubled 2K8’s first month results."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NBA 2K9 Dominates Basketball Sales (Pasta Padre)

I'm very surprised by this. I always thought that the brand recognition and strong marketing would always keep Live close, or even have it ahead of 2K in sales.

In a year where many(at least here at OS) feel as if Live has closed the gap considerably, or even surpassed 2K, for 2K's sales to be so much stronger is quite interesting.

Hopefully it will allow 2K to continue to focus on core gameplay issues, and not get caught up in a features/modes dual with EA.

As for Live, I know EA execs always mandate some high profile new feature that can be heavily marketed, but I hope the overwhelming majority of their time is spent adding/fixing animations and tuning A.I.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Hail To The Redskins!

cjallure24's Arena

OVR: 18

I am suprised as will,but happy to see 2K get the credit they deserve.They put out a very good product and did wht I think was a very good job of promoting it.From having KG on the cover to running a bunch of adds,I seen so many NBA 2K commericals then NBA Live.And not to mention the product is very solid....Congats 2K Sports
Old 11-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

Congrats to the 2k team!

Rob, Simballer, etc....It's about time you guys efforts are FINALLY being appreciated by the masses.

Now, let's put the icing on the cake with a great patch!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
MVP

bowdown2shadi's Arena

OVR: 28

Nice to see 2k dominating like they should be. Maybe people tried live on next gen and just got sick and tired of Live's horrible 06, 07, 08 games, they were just unplayable imho. But live did step it up this year, next year should be very very close in sales.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59
This is great news for basketball video game fans. It practically ensures that there will be a NBA 2k10 and thus keeps the pressure on NBA Live to continue to step up it's game.

So whether you are a 2k guy or a Live guy, this is really good news.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 16

This has been growing over time.

The thing is...Live put out crappy games for about 3 years now (this year Live made a good game) and on the flip side...2k7 and 2k8 were both great games. Word of mouth travels, especially when guys were buying Live...not enjoying it...and look for another NBA title and there is only one other option.

I have 4 friends that used to be die-hard Live guys who have bought 2k9 and not Live. I'm just guessing 2k7 and 2k8 being great games and Live being horrible for those two seasons probably had a lot to do with this. I'm guessing if Live had put out decent games in 07 and 08 they would still have the momentum. I think over the past 3 years, 2k6,2k7, and ultimately 2k8, the word got out that it was much better. Because the advertising isn't nearly as alarge as live...I mean we already get these 3 minute DNA commercials with that stupid song the first two weeks of NBA on TNT, 2k9 was nowhere to be found. I don't remember seeing any 2k9 commercials opening week during games.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
In response to jfsolo:

I disagree 1000% that Live has closed the gap. And surpassing is not even a conversation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »