Home

EA Sports Passes on AFL License Renewal

This is a discussion on EA Sports Passes on AFL License Renewal within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: EA Sports Passes on AFL License Renewal

If 2K is going to make another attempt at a football game, I'd rather see APF 2KX. I love AFL and its high scoring affairs, but man it would be another bust as far as sales for 2K.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3
I think 2K publishing an AFL game is best for both parties. It gives the NFL 2K development team a chance to brush up on their skills and build on the solid foundation laid with APF. I know 2K is chomping at the bit to get back into virtual pigskin, and the AFL needs 2K more than 2K needs them. They could probably get the liscense for dirt cheap because the AFL needs the marketing. And there is already a well established market for 2K lovers and Madden haters.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #11
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRWill
I think 2K publishing an AFL game is best for both parties. It gives the NFL 2K development team a chance to brush up on their skills and build on the solid foundation laid with APF. I know 2K is chomping at the bit to get back into virtual pigskin, and the AFL needs 2K more than 2K needs them. They could probably get the liscense for dirt cheap because the AFL needs the marketing. And there is already a well established market for 2K lovers and Madden haters.
I love 2k football, but that doesn't mean I'd embrace arena football. I'd rather all-pro#2 or totally fictional league. Arena is a different game right?

- the field is 50 yards long with 8-yard end zones
- Taut rebound nets on either side of the posts bounce any missed field goals back into the field of play. The ball is "live" when rebounding off these nets or their support apparatuses.
- Each team fields eight players at a time from a 20-man active roster.
- The scoring is the same as in the NFL with the addition of a drop kick field goal worth four points during normal play

It could be fun, but it's NOT the same, and frankly I'm only really interested in American Football rules, fields, etc..

I think a game like blitz the league should look into arena league license since it's closer to that anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
Rookie

Valid points, the games are very different. I actually have a friend who plays in the Arena 2 league. But, its still an opportunity to get into "liscensed" football again. The AFL is a growing league and the sport is here to stay. The games are extremely exciting. So, someone will make a proper AFL game eventually and cash in big time. Why shouldn't 2K and VC be those trailblazers. And what additions can be made to APF that will make the game fresh. As far as fictional leagues, who actually went and bought a Blitz game with no liscense. I think its a low risk high reward situation.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

I would totally play an AFL 2k game.

So much.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 11-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #14
Rookie

And as far as making another arcade style AFL game, it hasn't worked. It failed for EA and Midway tried it back in the 90s, during the NFL Blitz heyday. Maybe, if 2K makes a simulation that truly represents the AFL game, it gives an opportunity to teach new people the game. Plus, its almost a certainty that the people who still play NFL 2K5 will by a liscensed 2K football.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 AM   #15
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRWill
Plus, its almost a certainty that the people who still play NFL 2K5 will by a liscensed 2K football.
2k banked on that for APF. The hardcore 2k5 fanbase only took them so far. Adding the AFL license won't really add that many more sales over what APF was able to on its own. There's NFL & NCAA football, then everything else.

EA only gobbled up the AFL license up to immediately stop 2k from easily shifting their brand and product over to another football league in the aftermath of the NFL exclusivity. Years have passed and there's no need for the AFL license, and most people probably said the same thing I did..EA still had the AFL license?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #16
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
It stinks that EA never really did anything with the license. I feel that the AFL is almost tailor made for a great video game. It just needs a developers that don't see their own sphincters when they open their eyes to work on it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »