Home

Could NHL 2K Go The Way of College Hoops?

This is a discussion on Could NHL 2K Go The Way of College Hoops? within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Could NHL 2K Go The Way of College Hoops?

Pasta Padre looks into why the NHL 2K series may be finished. What do you think?

Quote:
"2K Sports has generally supported their more prominent titles with at least a patch and a handful of roster updates throughout the year. NBA 2K9 has already received a significant patch and effort has been made to provide more roster updates than in the past. On the other hand the lesser-regarded 2K titles have gone largely ignored post-release, one recent example being Prizefighter which did not receive a patch."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 13
This saddens me. 2K Sports is the only company that can compete with EA Sports in terms of the QUALITY of its sports games. However, ever since the NFL license went exclusively to EA, 2K had no choice but to go after the MLB license, effectively putting EA out of the Baseball market, and thus reshaping the landscape of sports videogaming.

It's a shame that 2K could not put more focus on All-Pro Football (allowing full customization, roster and slider sharing along with its wonderful on-line gaming experience), and the MLB game which has too many flaws to rival The Show. Now, the NHL game is in danger of losing to EA's 'improving' game. I certainly hope that this doesn't happen as, many critics agree, 2K's gameplay engine is far superior to EA's.

If 2K's games go away, we'll be stuck playing ARCADE hockey, ARCADE College Basketball, and ARCADE football that is EA's games. Not me. I'll stick with my current library of 2K's games for as long as possible.

BigBlue

Last edited by BigBlue; 12-03-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Could NHL 2K Go The Way of College Hoops?

i hope it does get shut down. nba has been great for years, mlb not so much. been hit or miss with mlb over the past few years. but at least people buy that game.

bye bye nhl 2k series, you will be missed...
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 12-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Unfortunately, it would appear that the NHL2k is indeed in peril of going the way of the dinosaurs
Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75
I've always been surprised that NHL had two games made for it. The sales numbers are so low that it would seem hard for one company to make money let alone two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I've always been surprised that NHL had two games made for it. The sales numbers are so low that it would seem hard for one company to make money let alone two.
I believe EA makes money on it mainly due to their worldwide audience. DrJones, formerly of EA, once said in a thread that EA's NHL series actually sells more in Europe than in North America. I don't know what kind of following NHL 2K gets in Europe though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see NHL 2K disappear though. The lack of a PS3 patch last year, combined with no roster updates after December, the announcement that they won't patch 2K9 and the fact theat we're still waiting on a roster update for 2K9 as well are all clear signs that the NHL series is extremely low in the priorities of 2K.

Last edited by mercalnd; 12-03-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34

This would be sad because 2K9 was better than 09 imo. I thought VC made some good upgrades and the only thing I felt was really missing was the menu option to lock the camera to the great side view. I hate having to pause and change the camera before each game.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I just realized that a comment on the Blog actually shows up on the forums in the corresponding thread. Never knew that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »