Home

MLB '09: The Show Screenshots (Dated 12-23-08)

This is a discussion on MLB '09: The Show Screenshots (Dated 12-23-08) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-24-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 26
MLB '09: The Show Screenshots (Dated 12-23-08)

Someone from the Neogaf Forums have posted 2 more early screenshots from MLB '09: The Show.
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
All Star

Holic's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: couple of new screens 12/23/08

Old 12-24-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 7

Nice find. Nothing earth shattering, but the lighting looks good. The detail is great.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Banned

Very nice. However... when are they going to do something about those weird, stubby, broad-shouldered PS2 player models? This is year 3 on next-gen. At what point does that become a priority? I mean, it's not like gamers stare at the stadiums or crowds 95% of the game. They're looking at the players that whole time. Very puzzling.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Very nice. However... when are they going to do something about those weird, stubby, broad-shouldered PS2 player models? This is year 3 on next-gen. At what point does that become a priority? I mean, it's not like gamers stare at the stadiums or crowds 95% of the game. They're looking at the players that whole time. Very puzzling.
Don't know if you saw this post by Chris that goes over this a little bit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
I guess I might as well jump in here.

If it was easy, we would do it. Thank you. Next question.

Seriously, first we have to make a distinction between Player Geometry and the skeletal system. The Player Geometry (ie, the model) in the PS3 game is entirely different than the PS2 model. From head to toe, not a single poly, not a single texture is the same.

What many of you are complaining about is the proportions of the skeleton....and this is simply not an easy thing to just change.

Look at it this way. Put your hands together in front of you like you are clapping. Hold them in front of you palm to palm and imagine 2 more inches of length added to your arms.... your hands don't match up anymore do they? Same thing with holding a bat, adjusting your helmet, punching your fist into your glove, reaching into your glove to get the ball, putting your hands on your hips, etc etc etc...you get the idea.

We currently have over 20,000 of these animations to convert. Like I said, if it were simple, we would push the "new skeleton" button and take the rest of the year off. Don't forget, it has taken us over 7 years to build up this catalog of animations. And yes, I know people will chime in with, just use a simple IK system, problem solved....well, yes and no...might get us part of the way there, but an IK system doesn't know how Derek Jeter holds his elbow during his stance, etc....so it may get the hands on the bat, but in doing so, will mess with the integrity of the animation.

Please understand that we do take this seriously, and it IS something that we are looking at for the future.

Enjoy.

Chris

Last edited by nemesis04; 12-24-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Don't know if you saw this post by Chris that goes over this a little bit:
Wow, did not see that, thanks nemesis. Yeah, I've been saying for the past two years that it's probably a major project and huge undertaking, and that's it's no doubt tied in with the animations. Meaning all of that would have to be redone entirely or in part to some large degree.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 19

I don't see too many people talk about it but I think the grass in MLB The show could be way better. Its too flat looking. You should be able to see the blades of grass when zooming in.

But I must also say Sony did a great job on the new lighting this year!!!

Last edited by mike75; 12-24-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Jedi Master

Rob_NYY's Arena

OVR: 21

The lighting in the Yankees pic looks beautiful. But I must ask, what is Melky Cabrera doing in LF? Silly Billy's at SCEA!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »