Home

Running the Wildcat in NCAA Football 09

This is a discussion on Running the Wildcat in NCAA Football 09 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #17
All Star

OVR: 17
Re: Running the Wildcat in NCAA Football 09

I notice some times when I try to do the WR pass, it doesn't give me the passing icon to throw to the WR, thus rendering the play utterly useless.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #18
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7

Yeah, I haven't gotten the QB wideout package to work yet, after trying endlessly in practice. Either way, I haven't been able to effectively use this formation yet.

As for the guy who thought he was a genius about Nutt and was in love with Darren McFadden, and said the formation wouldn't work for anyone else. I think McCluster has done just as good a job as anyone could. Same with Ronnie Brown.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #19
MVP

olemiss86's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike
Nice read on how to execute the Wildhog offense (it was renamed after Malzahn left, not that Nutt had the right really...just sayin).

However, you are incorrect to say this was a major reason for Arkansas remaining competitive in the SEC last year. We had the best player in the nation, one of the best O-lines, and a second 1st round pick behind McFadden in Felix Jones--that had more to do with our success the last 2 years than a 'gimmicky' offensive set. Basically, our run game was dominate (and if we had even a sliver of a pass offense, we'd have been a BCS team, but that's spilled milk.)

The WildHog was part of that, but mostly a small part. You'd see it a few times a game. It was effective because of how little teams did see of it, and when it was laid on them they had little experience in how to handle it (what practice team player is going to really replicate what DMac is capable of?).

It's curious too that the play is in the Ole Miss book. The Wildcat/hog was not Nutt's invention (he's nowhere near that imaginative) but Gus Malzahn's over at Tulsa. You won't see it at Ole Miss, simply because they have no one to run it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a long time before we ever see it again, considering the talent that was required to make it effective.

Sorry for the nitpick, but the article was great all the same.
That Wild Rebel worked really good this year with McCluster.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #20
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobizzle
Has anyone noticed that not all of the Packages work. For instance, "QB Wideout" won't work at all.
yeah this does not work, think it subs you're qb with another wr. you can go into the depth chart and sub him in, but of course that takes forever and is annoying.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 7

its also in utahs playbook hidden in some trips formation i think, but i know its in there........

haha its secretly in every playbook......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #22
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoltan
its also in utahs playbook hidden in some trips formation i think, but i know its in there........

haha its secretly in every playbook......
thats so weird. is it the wildcat entire playbook or just a few plays?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »