Home

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Review

This is a discussion on Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Review within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Review

From clunky cartridges to compact discs, wired controllers to Bluetooth sticks, Goldeneye battles at your mate’s house to online Call of Duty wars -- through the years I have welcomed all sorts of changes in my gaming life. But the one thing that remained constant was Pro Evolution Soccer. It was always my preferred choice when the new footy season came around -- that is until last year of course.

Konami’s winning formula has been tested and surpassed not only by time, but also by the rapid rise of competitor EA Sports’ FIFA series. With a stellar showing this year, FIFA 09 once again raised the bar for soccer games. Can Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 win back the title, or at the very least stay in the top division?

Read More - Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Review

Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Some fair evaluations and criticisms, but I've heard a TON of good things about the Be A Legend mode. His point about being able to start with an existing player in FIFA is a good one and would have been a nice option in PES. But if he insists on comparing PES's BAL to FIFA's BAP, don't you think he should mention that FIFA's mode only lasts four seasons?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 Review

Offline I think PES beats FIFA.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant0n
Offline I think PES beats FIFA.
Definitely.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Rookie

Abar22's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Some fair evaluations and criticisms, but I've heard a TON of good things about the Be A Legend mode. His point about being able to start with an existing player in FIFA is a good one and would have been a nice option in PES. But if he insists on comparing PES's BAL to FIFA's BAP, don't you think he should mention that FIFA's mode only lasts four seasons?
I agree. There also seems to be little complaining about a Be a Pro bug that basically ruins the mode. Whenever your teammates serve a suspension from yellow or red cards they never come back to the team for that season. 3/4ths of the way through my first season I realized Beckham and 3 other starters for the Galaxy were never coming back. At last count Becks was gone for 8 games before I decided to hang that mode up. The rumor was if you made captain there was a way to get them back by putting them in reserves for a game and then moving them back but why should this even be an issue?
Combine that bug with a 4 year limit and a lack of in season games (league cups or champs league is missing, can't remember) and the winner of the Be A _______ mode is apparent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
I've played both a lot this year after having played WE9 on my Xobx the past few. I have to say that FIFA 09 is the game that has finally passed the PES series. Outside of the license issue, the rightstick defensive switching, and financial model in FIFA's Manager mode put it over the top. The graphical upgrade to FIFA 09 was pretty great too. PES still has a few little touches that FIFA is missing like seeing all the subs coming into the game instead of just one in FIFA and a Master League mode option in FIFA would be a nice addition too. The race is still very close, but PES needs to kick it in gear now that it's pretty much neck-in-neck. If only American football had the same quality race going on.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

I think when you compare the two games, you have to compare the two types of gamers.

It is my opinion that casual gamers picked FIFA over PES. How could you not be a casual gamer when MM is broken, yet you still hail it worthy - or how about the roue-one football shown by the AI. Or how about the fact that you can't give up 15 shots on goal on any level above Regular/Pro.

As for the hardcore gamer, gameplay...gameplay...gameplay...game modes...gameplay. I'm not going to go into detail, because usually the hardcore gamer is a soccer fan - not just a soccer video game fan. A hardcore gamer wants his 'MM" mode to be long-lasting, and the AI to be active in their transfers/negotiations. A hardcore gamer wants to be able to play 20-35 min real-time halves and still keep the score at 0-0 by halftime.

PES surpassed FIFA with flying colors in my opinion. Did anyone ever notice that EA changed their control scheme to match that of PES the last couple of years?

I don't know who came up with what is considered "next-gen" graphics or not, but I believe PES does a great job at representing true physicality of players.

FIFA 09

PES 2009

Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Legen - WAIT FOR IT

Pared's Arena

OVR: 72
Ha. That's great. You had to take probably the worst picture of the PC version and compare it to prove your point.

For anyone interested, here's a link to that same websites pictures of the 360 version, which provide more accurate pictures to just how stunning FIFA really looks:

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/fi...16163536218032

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »