Home

Survey Finds Playing Madden Improves Your Football IQ

This is a discussion on Survey Finds Playing Madden Improves Your Football IQ within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Playing Madden improves your football IQ

they can trot out whatever survey they want, i know that its had the exact opposite effect on my younger siblings who think madden way as well be a different sport then what they see on TV on sundays.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
This is partly true if you're a casual gamer, but if you try and play as much SIM (oxymoron) as possible w/ Madden I can see it increasing your football IQ.

Following sports, AND playing sports video games regularly definitely increases your 'Sports' IQ.
I'm not sure where I fit in anymore. I doubt I've played more than 30 games of Madden since Madden '05, but I would also enjoy sim play if it were possible.

IMO, sim play is impossible on Madden. Fundamental aspects of the game are missing. In my experience, there's not much you can do to make Madden sim unless your idea of sim is simply a realistic outcome(score/yardage).

Outside of some basics like rules and terminology, I'm not sure what anyone could learn from Madden. The strategy needed to excel in Madden is not the same as the strategy needed during an NFL football game.

Can you give an example of something you've learned from Madden outside of rules & terminology?
Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: Survey Finds Playing Madden Improves Your Football IQ

Let be fair here playing a sim football game helps your football IQ. Most fans and reporters don't know a cover 2 from a cover 3. It has helped my football IQ over the last 10 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'm not sure where I fit in anymore. I doubt I've played more than 30 games of Madden since Madden '05, but I would also enjoy sim play if it were possible.

IMO, sim play is impossible on Madden. Fundamental aspects of the game are missing. In my experience, there's not much you can do to make Madden sim unless your idea of sim is simply a realistic outcome(score/yardage).

Outside of some basics like rules and terminology, I'm not sure what anyone could learn from Madden. The strategy needed to excel in Madden is not the same as the strategy needed during an NFL football game.

Can you give an example of something you've learned from Madden outside of rules & terminology?
Over the last 10 years....coverages, fronts, bunch sets, and`blitz packages
Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:

Cant give you anything ive learned, pretty knowledgeable. but my wife on the other hand, from watching me play occasionally, so that she may attend games without askin stupid questions there,LOL,learned alot. she learned things like concepts, what the specific defenses are suppose to do, why they are called in certain situations, hell why they're called period, player responsibility, she learned to read some defenses based on keys. what offenses are tryin to do, the different types of offenses. there's much you can learn, what we (serious gamers) get caught up in are the flaws the game may have, and what we want it to be, no the game will not be close to real life, thats the same as goin to a movie and expecting action scenes to be realistic. the game will and can teach you some basic principles to set a foundation for learning the game.just my opinion.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 21

I've always wondered how many HS quarterbacks play Madden and try to mimick what they see in the video game when they're playing for real. Can you imagine the look on a head coach's face when a kid tries to chuck the ball into triple coverage, expecting his receiver to leap up and make a one-handed rocket catch over the defenders?

What the hell were you thinking?!

He said he had a 99 jump rating, coach!

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
Marvel's Finest

JBH3's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:

As of Madden 09 I can't tell you anything I'VE learned, but when I first started playing Madden in the mid/late 90's it taught me some things about the game of football.

I guess you can say my idea of 'sim' w/ Madden09 is a realistic score/outcome.

The CPU AI doesn't doesn't really have any 'I' so I can see what you're saying when it comes to getting 'sim' results from the CPU.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 20

I have learned quite a bit from madden.

First off, it is senseless for these NFL quarterbacks mostly stick to these 3, 5, and 7 step drops. What they really should be doing is running back 20 yards and chucking the ball downfield.

I have also learned that weight has no relavence whatsoever when blocking and tackling. A 150 lb running back can easily run over a 300 lb defensive lineman or can easily pancake block them.

Coverage is irellavent as long as you throw a high bullet pass so the reciever can so a one handed rocket catch.

Also, I have learned that a pass over the middle cannot be throw high enough that any linebacker in the world can't jump up and intercept it.

I also learned any that NFL football player can run full speed in one direction and turn 180 degrees and run full speed in the other direction.

They can also running full speed jump in the opposit direction they were running or jump straight up in the air and their leaping ability won't be affected at all by this.

Thanks to madden my football IQ is now through the roof

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »