Home

Survey Finds Playing Madden Improves Your Football IQ

This is a discussion on Survey Finds Playing Madden Improves Your Football IQ within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Playing Madden improves your football IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Over the last 10 years....coverages, fronts, bunch sets, and`blitz packages
The terminology & how they look or when to actually use them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainesdaddy
...she learned things like concepts, what the specific defenses are suppose to do, why they are called in certain situations, hell why they're called period, player responsibility, she learned to read some defenses based on keys. what offenses are tryin to do, the different types of offenses...
Really? I find that Madden strategy often contridicts what would work on Sundays, and players don't key on what their real life counterparts key on.

Did she learn from Madden or did you teach her using Madden? Does she play? Does she actually experience particular strategies working in appropriate situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainesdaddy
...there's much you can learn, what we (serious gamers) get caught up in are the flaws the game may have, and what we want it to be, no the game will not be close to real life, thats the same as goin to a movie and expecting action scenes to be realistic. the game will and can teach you some basic principles to set a foundation for learning the game.just my opinion.
I'd agree there's some terminology to learn, what a particular formation looks like, what a particular defense looks like, ect. But from my experience, Madden strategy goes against conventional wisdom. Those ARE the flaws I'm concerned with.

But other games are much closer to real life. NBA 2K9 is not perfect, but it looks & moves like basketball. Pick & rolls accomplish what you would expect, screens, double teams, ect. Compared to Madden where there's no trap on trap plays, no pocket, no outside rush, ect. I feel other sports games capture the essence & foundation of the sport. Madden doesn't.

I guess my point is that for every peice of terminology learned, there are several strategic lessons that misinform the user. IMO, Madden does more damage to ones football IQ.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 39

Of course it does..no question.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:47 AM   #19
All Star

OVR: 33

Also. Watching football improves your football IQ. Playing football improves your football IQ.

Shocking!

Like this is really news?

Going to an art gallery imrpoves your art IQ?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #20
MVP

speedkills's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Survey Finds Playing Madden Improves Your Football IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
I have learned quite a bit from madden.

First off, it is senseless for these NFL quarterbacks mostly stick to these 3, 5, and 7 step drops. What they really should be doing is running back 20 yards and chucking the ball downfield.

I have also learned that weight has no relavence whatsoever when blocking and tackling. A 150 lb running back can easily run over a 300 lb defensive lineman or can easily pancake block them.

Coverage is irellavent as long as you throw a high bullet pass so the reciever can so a one handed rocket catch.

Also, I have learned that a pass over the middle cannot be throw high enough that any linebacker in the world can't jump up and intercept it.

I also learned any that NFL football player can run full speed in one direction and turn 180 degrees and run full speed in the other direction.

They can also running full speed jump in the opposit direction they were running or jump straight up in the air and their leaping ability won't be affected at all by this.

Thanks to madden my football IQ is now through the roof
Damn you, you beat me to it.

^ what he said.

I learned that this off season I can expect my team to sign either Tom Brady or Peyton Manning in free agency since both of their teams will run out of cap space and decide to release their franchise QBs.

Last edited by speedkills; 01-24-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #21

LL-Cool-P's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Also. Watching football improves your football IQ. Playing football improves your football IQ.

Shocking!

Like this is really news?

lol, I hear ya!

- Back like I never left -

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 24

And I could fly a real 737 due to playing Flight Simulator.

Seriously, I can believe the article, to an extent.......
Old 01-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #23
Banned

arichzona's Arena

OVR: 12

glad I opered the link in the IP as it explains a bit more.... the underlined section explains it to me.....

About the Madden Football IQ Survey
The Madden Football IQ survey was conducted by University of Oregon’s Warsaw Sports Marketing Center in conjunction with Electronic Arts Inc. in July, 2008. The study included more than 15,000 surveys that were completed online. Survey results are nationally representative, and the margin of error for is the survey is ± 3 percent.

Nice story but it really can be applied to anything... the more you do something the firmer your grasp becomes.

Then looking at this another way... who says that EA and the marketing dept have the "correct" answers?
Old 01-24-2009, 06:44 PM   #24
Rookie

Blkcanes's Arena

OVR: 8

I think playing football improves your "Football IQ" I'm sure most of us that have played Madden or NCAA for that matter have played some high school football which as helped out greatly. I could be wrong. I've been playing football since the age of 3 and I've been a fan of it ever since (19 now) so like somebody said the more you watch Football the more your "Football IQ" should end up going up not just based on Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »