Home

UFC 2009 Undisputed Roster Announcement (IGN)

This is a discussion on UFC 2009 Undisputed Roster Announcement (IGN) within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 29
Re: UFC 2009 Undisputed Roster Announcement (IGN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
you guys type as if you know everything...
So do you...

Quote:
GSP would be THE BEST FIGHTER SILVA HAS EVER FACED PERIOD.

GSP imo is stronger than Silva, people say he is as strong as some heavyweights.

you guys have no reason to believe Silva would just 'roll right over him'.

What did Silva do against Cote?? GSP is much better than Cote.

The fact tha Sera knocked him down doesn't mean GSP has a glass jaw either, it doesn't really mean anything. He got caught with a haymaker that would have put Silva down too.
Some people "say" he's as strong as heavyweights... While Silva has proven he has the knockout power over Light Heavyweights. He gained weight, and went up to a division filled with guys who can put your lights out, and he dominated his opponent.

I'll go with proven over "some people say" any day.

As for Cote... That's because Silva had to gain weight to fight at 205, and then had to drop all that extra weight in 3 months to make 185 again. That kills your body.

The fact is - Silva has power, speed, and is one of the smartest fighters I've ever seen in the ring. He doesn't just rely on being extremely athletic, he uses his brain just as well as they come.

GSP is absolutely amazing. But Silva is a whole other monster.

edit: and yeah, honestly anything can happen any day. That's goes without saying. But looking at the matchup, I don't really see where GSP has any advantage over Silva at all. Strength, smarts, speed, ability - I just don't see it.

Last edited by MC Fatigue; 01-28-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
#DoYourJob

Beantown's Arena

OVR: 61

I don't even care if GSP would get KO'd, which yes he probably would...I would die to see a GSP/Silva fight.

If GSP beats Penn, I think it would be a fight between the two best P4P fighters in the UFC today.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
you guys type as if you know everything...GSP would be THE BEST FIGHTER SILVA HAS EVER FACED PERIOD.

GSP imo is stronger than Silva, people say he is as strong as some heavyweights.

you guys have no reason to believe Silva would just 'roll right over him'.

What did Silva do against Cote?? GSP is much better than Cote.

The fact tha Sera knocked him down doesn't mean GSP has a glass jaw either, it doesn't really mean anything. He got caught with a haymaker that would have put Silva down too.
We're just stating our opinion like you. I've watched both of these guys fight a ton and I see Silva dropping GSP if they ever fight.

GSP is strong and bullies around most of his division, but Silva is a bigger guy. People tend to underestimate his strength because he's lean, but Silva is far from weak.

As far as Cote goes, I think the better question would be "What did Cote do to Silva?" The answer to that is absolutely nothing. It's been a while since I've seen that fight, but I remember Silva doing a more dancing and playing around than the typically does. I have no reason to believe that he wouldn't have won that fight if it continued, it was only a matter of time.

Anderson is a better striker than GSP. If GSP wants to win this fight his best chance is with ground and pound (which is his best tool imo), but even that wouldn't be easy. Anything is possible in MMA, but if I were a betting man I'd put the house on Silva.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
All Star

OVR: 20

Not that I dissagree with Silva being a beast, but how exactly is putting a beating on James Irvin impressive?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #13
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
So do you...

Some people "say" he's as strong as heavyweights... While Silva has proven he has the knockout power over Light Heavyweights. He gained weight, and went up to a division filled with guys who can put your lights out, and he dominated his opponent.

I'll go with proven over "some people say" any day.

As for Cote... That's because Silva had to gain weight to fight at 205, and then had to drop all that extra weight in 3 months to make 185 again. That kills your body.

The fact is - Silva has power, speed, and is one of the smartest fighters I've ever seen in the ring. He doesn't just rely on being extremely athletic, he uses his brain just as well as they come.

GSP is absolutely amazing. But Silva is a whole other monster.
I don't act like I know everything - I'm not the one who made any predictions beyond I think GSP could win. I didn't say things like he would easily knock his ***-out, or roll over him etc...

are you disputing the fact that GSP would be the best opponent Silva has ever faced?

You said GSP would get Ko'd just like that mediocre LHW - do you think GSP isn't better than IRVIN??? are you really that impressed by him beating someone that will never content for a top 5 position? I thinK GSP could easily dominate a bunch of middleweight scrubs.

Also, don't make excuses for him - dropping 15 pounds in 3 months is not a big deal, I've done that before - I would agree if he was dropping BELOW his natural weight, but he wasn't. moving up in weight would be harder to maintain good cardio/conditioning.

GSP can win this fight...he could get KO'd, sure that possible too, but to say that he couldn't win is beyond rediculous to me. GSP's ring record is more impressive, he's fought tougher opponents and beaten them. And he always avenges losses just like sugar ray robinson did, and dominates.

IF GSP didn't get tko'd by Sera, I'm not sure what the popular P4P discussion would be like - but to me GSP is #1 he's very smart too, and trains just as hard if not harder.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
I don't act like I know everything - I'm not the one who made any predictions beyond I think GSP could win. I didn't say things like he would easily knock his ***-out, or roll over him etc...
Well let's not get into this "I never act like I know things I don't" argument because it's stupid.

Quote:
are you disputing the fact that GSP would be the best opponent Silva has ever faced?
I don't know if he is or not. But Franklin, Leben, Henderson, Cote are all great fighters and he's pretty much walked through them.

Quote:
You said GSP would get Ko'd just like that mediocre LHW - do you think GSP isn't better than IRVIN??? are you really that impressed by him beating someone that will never content for a top 5 position? I thinK GSP could easily dominate a bunch of middleweight scrubs.
Top 5 or not doesn't matter. Irvin can knock people the hell out, and he's a decent fighter. He's not someone to just take lightly. What I'm saying is that Silva moved up to a much stronger division and showed he has the power.

Quote:
Also, don't make excuses for him - dropping 15 pounds in 3 months is not a big deal, I've done that before - I would agree if he was dropping BELOW his natural weight, but he wasn't. moving up in weight would be harder to maintain good cardio/conditioning.
15 lbs?

Quote:
GSP can win this fight...he could get KO'd, sure that possible too, but to say that he couldn't win is beyond rediculous to me. GSP's ring record is more impressive, he's fought tougher opponents and beaten them. And he always avenges losses just like sugar ray robinson did, and dominates.

IF GSP didn't get tko'd by Sera, I'm not sure what the popular P4P discussion would be like - but to me GSP is #1 he's very smart too, and trains just as hard if not harder.
Of course he can win - like I said, anything can happen.

But I really, really doubt that fight would be anything like what people think it would. Silva would hand GSP's *** to him on a platter.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 PM   #15
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
Well let's not get into this "I never act like I know things I don't" argument because it's stupid.

I don't know if he is or not. But Franklin, Leben, Henderson, Cote are all great fighters and he's pretty much walked through them.

Top 5 or not doesn't matter. Irvin can knock people the hell out, and he's a decent fighter. He's not someone to just take lightly. What I'm saying is that Silva moved up to a much stronger division and showed he has the power.

15 lbs?

Of course he can win - like I said, anything can happen.

But I really, really doubt that fight would be anything like what people think it would. Silva would hand GSP's *** to him on a platter.
there you go again...

whatever, I hope the fight happens

just to switch gears lets see what's comming up- GSP has to fight extremely tough opponents - first Penn, after that Thiago Alves! has to win both to fight A silva. Alves is on a 7fight win streak and 10 of his 16 wins are by TKO.

Every single fighter GSP has faced since 2004 has a fantastic record (except for Sera who is 9-5)

Silva's upcomming fight is w/ Thales Leites - who is 14-1 and his only loss came against Kampmann who now fights at 170lbs. I'm wondering if GSP pulls off both victories if this will be Silva's next match, or if he'll have another one inbetween and who would that be?

Leites could be a danger for submitting Silva, but I'm not so sure, since his record is a little decieving - he got the shot against silva by defeating a good striker (McFedries) who is only 7-4.

Speaking of Kampmann earlier, I like him, but I think he needs better conditioning training (maybe he's already getting it idk) I think his weight at 170 will probably be better for him, but that's actually another thing I'm not sure the UFC is doing right
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
LP
Johnny Canuck

LP's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

Unless you are (and you may be) an elite level fighter, this example means nothing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »