Home

UFC 2009 Undisputed Roster Announcement (IGN)

This is a discussion on UFC 2009 Undisputed Roster Announcement (IGN) within the All Other Sports forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #17
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: UFC 2009 Undisputed Roster Announcement (IGN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP
Unless you are (and you may be) an elite level fighter, this example means nothing.
I believe that dropping weight only becomes a problem when you go south or below what you reasonably should be in fighting shape. Like Ricky Hatton doesn't have a problem dropping close to 60 pounds! ...it's becaue he doesn't go south of what his body should reasonably be - like Oscar DeLa Hoya did vs packman. Over the course of 3 months dropping close to 20lbs (originally made a bit of typo) is not that crazy for someone who fought his whole career at the lower weight. In fact most of it would be gone after the first month.

now as far as you saying my example means nothing if I'm not an elite level fighter, well that's too bad you feel that way. I hold 2 black belts (got my first at 11yrs) and have done full contact fighting, trained in boxing and muay thai as well as a tiny bit of kung-fu and ju-jitsu, I'm also participate in a few competetive sports and have played w/ my weight over the past year ranging from 205lbs to 169lbs. I think my lived experience 'means' something.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
you guys type as if you know everything...GSP would be THE BEST FIGHTER SILVA HAS EVER FACED PERIOD.

GSP imo is stronger than Silva, people say he is as strong as some heavyweights.

you guys have no reason to believe Silva would just 'roll right over him'.

What did Silva do against Cote?? GSP is much better than Cote.

The fact tha Sera knocked him down doesn't mean GSP has a glass jaw either, it doesn't really mean anything. He got caught with a haymaker that would have put Silva down too.
GSP's jaw would shatter against Silva. Cote has better stand up and a better jaw. Rich Franklin would also drop GSP 9 times out of 10. Marquardt also beats GSP most of the time.

Silva would have laughed at that shot Serra hit GSP with.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
All Star

allBthere's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven
GSP's jaw would shatter against Silva. Cote has better stand up and a better jaw. Rich Franklin would also drop GSP 9 times out of 10. Marquardt also beats GSP most of the time.

Silva would have laughed at that shot Serra hit GSP with.
I don't think it's fair to question someone's jaw on one freak punch...it's the only time i've seen GSP in legit trouble in his whole career.
All your matter-of-fact statements about what this and that guy would do to GSP are bull****.
talkin' out of your ash, it's all very silly especially since gsp's only lost 2wice and his opponents combine win/loss records is probably the best in MMA.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #20
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
I don't think it's fair to question someone's jaw on one freak punch...it's the only time i've seen GSP in legit trouble in his whole career.
All your matter-of-fact statements about what this and that guy would do to GSP are bull****.
talkin' out of your ash, it's all very silly especially since gsp's only lost 2wice and his opponents combine win/loss records is probably the best in MMA.
Would you favor GSP in a fight against Silva? If so, why? You seem to be the only person around here who doesn't think Silva would hand him his ***.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
All Star

allBthere's Arena

first I guess I don't put nearly as much weight on gsp's tko loss as the rest of you guys - it doesn't mean he has a glass jaw. Lennox Lewis doesn't have a glass jaw either, nor does jon Fitch, Alves, or Rampage who've all been tko'd (lewis w/ one punch)

second I think GSP can win by any of the 3 methods TKO, Sub, Dec. Tko being the least likely but i still think he'd have a chance.

On the other hand I think it would be nearly impossible for Silva to submit GSP - so that leaves either TKO or decision.

I think GSP has been in way more longer and tougher fights (which build skill and character) and faced by far the better opposition.

Having said all that, as far as strategy, I think Silva's biggest advantage is his height and reach because he throws those beautiful long and straight shots - so how do you get in to strike or take him down, and how do you bang w/ him normally?

I'd like to see GSP throw some lead-leg sidekicks, some with a jab/backfist fake in advance to get more power (silva is open to this at times). This might allow him to land some head shots if he can get silva expecting a kick. This also is needed against silva who is 6'2" while gsp 5'10" (don't know the reach diff).
Another thing Silva does sometimes is cover up and move straight backwards. I think if GSP initiates combos w/ some lateral movement and he can get silva to do this, he can throw some fastballs or take him down.
by the way I think if inside, he could take Silva down almost at will.

Now considering the above, I still think that this is the most closely competetive matchup among the top guys the UFC has ever seen - and yes there are many things Silva can do to expose GSP too.

I however don't see it as an absolute fact that Silva would catch GSP will a KO shot, in fact, I would guess that it would go to a decision most likely. It's a big mistake just to plan on KOing everyone w/ one punch - especially when the majority of the fight could be on the ground.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #22
LP
Johnny Canuck

LP's Arena

OVR: 19

allBthere,

I hope you didn't interpret my weight comment incorrectly. It wasn't meant to be an ill word towards you. Its just that until you step into the octagon as an elite fighter, against another elite fighter, it is hard to tell what effects dropping weight could have. Everyone's body is different. I'm not saying that it has to be the reason for his performance, but you can't rule it out based on your personal experience.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #23
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

I hope there's an option not to have Cecil Peoples judging my fights.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
first I guess I don't put nearly as much weight on gsp's tko loss as the rest of you guys - it doesn't mean he has a glass jaw. Lennox Lewis doesn't have a glass jaw either, nor does jon Fitch, Alves, or Rampage who've all been tko'd (lewis w/ one punch)

second I think GSP can win by any of the 3 methods TKO, Sub, Dec. Tko being the least likely but i still think he'd have a chance.

On the other hand I think it would be nearly impossible for Silva to submit GSP - so that leaves either TKO or decision.

I think GSP has been in way more longer and tougher fights (which build skill and character) and faced by far the better opposition.

Having said all that, as far as strategy, I think Silva's biggest advantage is his height and reach because he throws those beautiful long and straight shots - so how do you get in to strike or take him down, and how do you bang w/ him normally?

I'd like to see GSP throw some lead-leg sidekicks, some with a jab/backfist fake in advance to get more power (silva is open to this at times). This might allow him to land some head shots if he can get silva expecting a kick. This also is needed against silva who is 6'2" while gsp 5'10" (don't know the reach diff).
Another thing Silva does sometimes is cover up and move straight backwards. I think if GSP initiates combos w/ some lateral movement and he can get silva to do this, he can throw some fastballs or take him down.
by the way I think if inside, he could take Silva down almost at will.

Now considering the above, I still think that this is the most closely competetive matchup among the top guys the UFC has ever seen - and yes there are many things Silva can do to expose GSP too.

I however don't see it as an absolute fact that Silva would catch GSP will a KO shot, in fact, I would guess that it would go to a decision most likely. It's a big mistake just to plan on KOing everyone w/ one punch - especially when the majority of the fight could be on the ground.
How do you figure this? You act like Silva dont have a REAL black belt in bjj. I wouldn't say GSP faced far better opposition either. Silva had a lot of fights in other countries. Silva has more experience. I think Silva would be too strong for GSP. Watch the Rich Franklin and dan Henderson fight again and you will see that Silva is a bully. It would be a good fight though but GSP has to beat BJ Penn first, which might not happen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > All Other Sports »