Home

MLB 2K9 Ratings: Hits and Misses

This is a discussion on MLB 2K9 Ratings: Hits and Misses within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
LOB

Coug00's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: MLB 2K9 Ratings: Hits and Misses

I think Lee's rating is decent. The guy was awful in '07 and mediocre in '06. Until he can repeat success I think an 87 is fine.

JJ Putz is the guy who got robbed. Paps is the only closer in MLB who could even compare to Putz in '06 and '07. JJ was pitching last year with separated cartilage from his ribs and elbow inflammation, which caused his numbers to drop to that of an average closer. That deserves an 80?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

I understand McCann is a very good catcher, but he is not as good as Mauer. Having watched Mauer ever since he came up to the pros, no catcher is on the same level. The guy already has 2 batting titles, and has played 4 whole seasons excluding 2004. He will get more batting titles in the future, and the sky is the limit for him.

Don't get me wrong about McCann, he is very good, but Mauer should be about 89-90 and McCann at 88. Mauer only had 2 less rbi's last season, but of course McCann had more home runs. In my mind, home runs are not that big of a deal as hitting a guy in from 2nd for an rbi and hitting a solo home run is not much difference. Sure it looks real nice for catchers hitting home runs, don't get me wrong, but Mauer produces just as much if not more.

Call me a homer, I really don't care. But for those of you that think McCann is on an even level with Mauer I just can't understand. I am not saying McCann is not deserving, he is the 2nd best catcher in the league. I am just trying to point out Mauer should be a little higher.
MLB: Minnesota Twins
NBA: Minnesota Timberwolves
Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwoodz
so let me get this straight - a guy breaks the record for saves in a year, has had 4 straight 40+ save seasons, has pitched in 450 innings, and has struck out (brace yourself) almost 590 batters...shouldn't be the highest rated pitcher in the game? is not the better than mariano rivera?

uhhh okay. I'll be on that little place called planet earth if you all need me.
lol saves.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 16

Quote:
so let me get this straight - a guy breaks the record for saves in a year, has had 4 straight 40+ save seasons, has pitched in 450 innings, and has struck out (brace yourself) almost 590 batters...shouldn't be the highest rated pitcher in the game? is not the better than mariano rivera?

Umm get off the drugs. Why dont you look at ERA? A 2.24 ERA is great, when your a starter or a bullpen pitcher who pitches more than 2 innings. But for a closer? That is not good what so ever. You shouldnt really be allowed to comment if you try to say that K-Rod is better than Mo. Mo is still better than K-Rod, and Mo is 38. No closer in the MLB right now is better than Mo. Mo is the best closer in the MLB, and is the greatest closer to ever walk the planet.

NCAAB: Cincinnati Bearcats
NFL: Houston Texans
NBA: New York Knicks

"Those Who Stay Will Be CHAMPIONS"-Bo Schembechler-R.I.P.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
Rookie

AftershockFx's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
I agree that there would have to be all sorts of special circumstances taken for all sorts of different groups of players...rookies, sophomores, juniors, injuries, players transitioning from part time to full time (Reliever to Starter), etc.

I think you do this generic spread for as many players that qualify and then you do everyone else seperately...then of course (and this is probably something 2K doesn't do very well at all), you take a step back and then re-look at it for realism and sanity. Does it make sense that a 40 year old outfielder coming off of a sub par year should have a all-star caliber rating? Probably not. And then adjust.

It would be nice to have some explanations of how they arrive at their ratings and whether or not they actually believe them to be fair.
Point taken. Explanations would be great because it's math that I know we were not taught in grade school . They need to stop favoring guys who play for Boston, NYY, NYM, LAD and LAA and rate them accurately. I'm willing to bet you if Jack Wilson got dealt to the Dodgers this winter his rating would've jumped from a 73 to a 78 or 79 just because he played in LA ...

Quote:

Save's aren't everything and numbers don't lie. With Rivera's numbers it's very possible he could've broken that record if the Yankees played as many close games as the Angels ... I'll be on earth if you want to chat schematics sometime.
MLB: Pittsburgh Pirates
NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins
Old 02-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #14
LOB

Coug00's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks26ngoin
Why dont you look at ERA?
Why don't we just scratch ERA as a form of measuring relievers?

Reliever A comes into the game with 2 men on and a 2 run lead. He gives up a 2-run tying double, then gets out of the inning. Its a blown save, but leads to a positive effect on his ERA.

Reliever B comes into his game with a 2 run lead and gives up a solo HR then gets the next 3 outs. He gets the save, but his ERA for the inning is 9.00.

Those two situations had different difficulty levels, but leverage situations are never equal between relievers in baseball. Bottom line is ERA sucks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »