Home

MLB '09: The Show Review

This is a discussion on MLB '09: The Show Review within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
no I get his point but from the videos of both games you can clearly tell that the commentary is better in 2k9. I do like the commentary in the show also. Both games commentary has pros and cons.
I think when you look at commentary, you have to look at the whole package. You are speaking on preference more than actuality, I think.

Having played both games, I can tell you that I like the flow of 2K9's commentary between the guys much better than The Show. That said, The Show's commentary has always had value in it's subtleties throughout your time with it. I heard lines just a couple months ago in 08 that I hadn't heard all year. There is very good varience there.

In 2K9, I've already heard many repeats and miscues and it's early. Seems that team specific commentary doesn't deviate from script much. This is to be expected as it's a new team.

That's the point people are trying to get you to understand...you can't base it off of watching a few videos. Obvisouly people will prefer what they prefer, but overall The Show's commentary is deeper.

Anyway, as for the review, I think it's a bit high. I love this game and am having a blast. BUT, if we're going to take 2K to task for all their bugs, the The Show deserves it too.

There is the Cubs thing (actually, the schedules as a whole apparently), The lineup issue, numerous little oddities that crop up from year to year. The fielding, while improved, is still holding this game back from perfection on the field, RTTS baserunning controls are questionable (or brutal depending on your level of drama) etc, etc.

None of those things hurt the overall quality of the game, but picture it for a moment if those things were fixed.

I'd probably agree with the 9.5 if they patch some of the little bugs. For now, I'd say maybe 8.8-9.0 if I'm being wholly objective. Still a d*mn fine game and worth every penny IMHO.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 03-06-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 36
Re: MLB '09: The Show Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06
nice review, pretty much spot on

but i sooo hope they fix the terrible online experience. It's not only the lag, but the out of sync between the animations/sounds/players is just terrible. I've had a couple of games where it was lag free for the most part, but the out of syncness kills it anyway.

but offline, the game is almost flawless

and i have to agree with the person that said that 2k9's commentary is better. Not saying The Show is "bad", because it's great....I just think that 2k9's sounds more realistic and natural
thank you for backing me up on the commentary. I'm not saying the game is bad because obviously I would be lying but the commentary is not up to par with 2k9
Old 03-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm partial to the The Show commentary, if only because I'm Gary Thorne(d) out after NHL 09
Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
no I get his point but from the videos of both games you can clearly tell that the commentary is better in 2k9. I do like the commentary in the show also. Both games commentary has pros and cons.
No you don't get it. If you are doing a review and have not played the real version. How can you say that commentary is better in the other game. That is all he is saying. Has nothing to do with giving credit to 2k9.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:41 PM   #21
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I think when you look at commentary, you have to look at the whole package. You are speaking on preference more than actuality, I think.

Having played both games, I can tell you that I like the flow of 2K9's commentary between the guys much better than The Show. That said, The Show's commentary has always had value in it's subtleties throughout your time with it. I heard lines just a couple months ago in 08 that I hadn't heard all year. There is very good varience there.

In 2K9, I've already heard many repeats and miscues and it's early. Seems that team specific commentary doesn't deviate from script much. This is to be expected as it's a new team.

That's the point people are trying to get you to understand...you can't base it off of watching a few videos. Obvisouly people will prefer what they prefer, but overall The Show's commentary is deeper.

Anyway, as for the review, I think it's a bit high. I love this game and am having a blast. BUT, if we're going to take 2K to task for all their bugs, the The Show deserves it too.

There is the Cubs thing (actually, the schedules as a whole apparently), The lineup issue, numerous little oddities that crop up from year to year. The fielding, while improved, is still holding this game back from perfection on the field, RTTS baserunning controls are questionable (or brutal depending on your level of drama) etc, etc.

None of those things hurt the overall quality of the game, but picture it for a moment if those things were fixed.

I'd probably agree with the 9.5 if they patch some of the little bugs. For now, I'd say maybe 8.8-9.0 if I'm being wholly objective. Still a d*mn fine game and worth every penny IMHO.
Yea, that's why I think the commentary is still better in The Show. More fluid and natural in 2k? Yes. But there is way more detail and so many lines etc. that The Show commentary will still feel fresh a while down the line, where as I already hear many things in 2K over and over.

I think the difference between the bugs in both games is that, The Show's you can mostly avoid from a on-the-field/controls perspective (which is obviously most important aspect to any game), but in 2K, many bugs are gameplay related, which makes them way more frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #22
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
I agree 100% that this is the best sports video game period.

Now I just wish football can start to measure up.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605

The difference between The Show's bugs and 2k9's, is that The Show's bugs don't derail the gameplay and arn't core design or AI glitches that ruin the experience. In The Show, the small bugs are very basic and can go unnoticed for the most part. I mean, yea the Cubs schedule thing might be a big deal but it doesn't affect gameplay at all. Same thing with some of the franchise and RTTS "bugs". They're more like complaints than actual bugs.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #24
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Yea, that's why I think the commentary is still better in The Show. More fluid and natural in 2k? Yes. But there is way more detail and so many lines etc. that The Show commentary will still feel fresh a while down the line, where as I already hear many things in 2K over and over.

I think the difference between the bugs in both games is that, The Show's you can mostly avoid from a on-the-field/controls perspective (which is obviously most important aspect to any game), but in 2K, many bugs are gameplay related, which makes them way more frustrating.
Oh, I agree. I think though, that The Show gets a bit more leeway on it's bugs than 2K does. Rightfully so in some respects, but the bugs (IMO) in The Show while not big, aren't the only thing keeping it from a "10". So a score of 9.5 doesn't even seem to take them into much consideration at all.

Plus, the reviewer's biggest gripe, besides franchise interface, was online. I don't see how a game with mediocre to poor online function PLUS a fair amount of bugs deserves such a high score...and I don't even play online...lol

Just seems that 2K9 ended up getting the critique piled on (on top of the bigger issues) while The Show's were kind of like "oh yeah...it's not perfect."

I used to do QA work and when we audited people, the more we found, the more we looked. The more we looked, the more we found...lol. I think that's likely at play a bit here.

Different reviewers though, I get it. Plus, it's all opinion and as I said, without the bugs I could buy it as a 9.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06
The difference between The Show's bugs and 2k9's, is that The Show's bugs don't derail the gameplay and arn't core design or AI glitches that ruin the experience. In The Show, the small bugs are very basic and can go unnoticed for the most part. I mean, yea the Cubs schedule thing might be a big deal but it doesn't affect gameplay at all. Same thing with some of the franchise and RTTS "bugs". They're more like complaints than actual bugs.
lol...I had a feeling that comment would generate the most attention...oops. It wasn't the main point. Forgot that mentioning the "other game" in the opposing forums is dangerous...lol.

Seriously though, I get that. I'm not saying the games should be anywhere close in score.

I'm just saying that even the smaller gripes in 2K9 got attention, while The Show's got mostly brushed aside. Some of them are quite legit and can detract from an otherwise great experience. Not saying that from a personal standpoint (I only have issue with the lineup issue...which can seemingly be worked around anyway).

anyway, it's no biggie, and as I said above, it's different reviewers and opinions. that leads to different focus as well. Just an observation is all.

Last edited by SoxFan01605; 03-06-2009 at 08:57 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »