Home

MLB '09: The Show Review

This is a discussion on MLB '09: The Show Review within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #25
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Yeah, to me....the bugs weren't a huge deal at all. To some people it might be, but none of them particularly made the gameplay experience any less. I honestly feel this game was so very close to being our first 10 in a long time, I'm going to post a blog on it this weekend or early next week.

But I mean, just earlier today I saw that the guys in the bullpen disappeared for an inning but you could still see the ball floating out there like a ghost was throwing in the bullpen. There are a ton of little things like that which happen but are more comedic than anything else. They do take away from being able to suspend belief, as they remind you that you are playing a game, but in the end....09 The Show is the best next-gen game and probably the best baseball game released to this point. MVP 05 modded up on the PC is pretty close, but I think we have a new king for the sport.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: MLB '09: The Show Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Yeah, to me....the bugs weren't a huge deal at all. To some people it might be, but none of them particularly made the gameplay experience any less. I honestly feel this game was so very close to being our first 10 in a long time, I'm going to post a blog on it this weekend or early next week.

But I mean, just earlier today I saw that the guys in the bullpen disappeared for an inning but you could still see the ball floating out there like a ghost was throwing in the bullpen. There are a ton of little things like that which happen but are more comedic than anything else. They do take away from being able to suspend belief, as they remind you that you are playing a game, but in the end....09 The Show is the best next-gen game and probably the best baseball game released to this point. MVP 05 modded up on the PC is pretty close, but I think we have a new king for the sport.
haha, I haven't seen that one. The one that is common for me is how the manager changes skin color and his jacket flickers from on to no jacket. But again, none of these are gameplay related...they just simply remind you that you're playing a video game.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #27
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS

in the end....09 The Show is the best next-gen game and probably the best baseball game released to this point. MVP 05 modded up on the PC is pretty close, but I think we have a new king for the sport.
All nit-picking on details aside, in the end this is the main point. You're right. Best console sports game by a pretty fair margin, IMO. I personally thought it outshined MVP already, but with the upgrades made this year, it's even more clear. The only thing I still like better about MVP is the way the fielding was.

I always thought this series felt more like a much more refined version of ASB...I see a lot of influence from that series here in terms of appearance and details (which is fine by me. ASB 04/05 was tops for console baseball to me). Gameplay though is another story...lol...as ASB was not near the same level as MVP or The Show.

Anyway, looking forward to the blog
Old 03-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20
Let's end the debate on commentary. You guys want more variation, and he wants a more natural, flowing, broadcast style. He heard it on a video, but I'm guessing it sounds the same as when you hear it through your tv, He doesn't care that there might be repeats, he cares about the style of it. Both games have great commentary.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:32 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 8
Nice review, I expected it t get between a 9 and a 9.5.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambayern
Let's end the debate on commentary. You guys want more variation, and he wants a more natural, flowing, broadcast style. He heard it on a video, but I'm guessing it sounds the same as when you hear it through your tv, He doesn't care that there might be repeats, he cares about the style of it. Both games have great commentary.
I apologize for starting this argument. I really wasn't trying to. I was just stating an opinion, not putting down the game because as I said this is a great game. It's just baseball, and I wish I could play this game thats all, but I can't because I have a 360.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #31
Host

bronco92's Arena

OVR: 44
Great review Chris. I look forward to my copy of the game finally arriving in Australia.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #32
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
PS, OS grades on a .5 scale, hence why no 9.2 etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »