Home

Snapping the Sports-Gamer Stereotypes

This is a discussion on Snapping the Sports-Gamer Stereotypes within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
Banned

Laettner32's Arena

OVR: 28
People don't look at me funny when I bring up videogames. More often than not, they play a little too...or are kinda interested in it but have never had the nerve to bring it up to anyone.
My wife doesn't mind it. I only play like 30 minutes a day, sometimes on weekends I'll play for an hour or so. But it does keep me home, keeps my competitive jones flowing, and it's cheaper than playing golf...(and more fun in my opinion.)
Old 03-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19
Good article Will!

Much of the pressure for me comes from my wife. She loves t.v. and watches a ton of stupid reality television shows. But my gaming is childish to her. She openly wonders when I'll "finally stop playing."

I told her that will never happen. Period. People who were raised on watchiing television, by and large, watch television for amusement and probably will not grow out of that.

People who grew up playing video games for amusement will not grow out of certain genres provided the games are well done and they don't become consumed by making lots of money (truly a full-time occupation) or give in to peer pressure provided by their significant other.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
MVP

Matt Diesel's Arena

OVR: 20
Good read. I always find it good to relate my hobby to other hobbies to put things in perspective. I could be fueling a massive 1k a week coke habit. But no. I am sitting at home, with the fam, trying to take the pirates to the world series.

Hellisan, I say come right back at your old lady and ask her how grown up it is to watch reality tv. If you are 40(not speaking of your wife here) and watch American Idol, you have no room to jones on us. At least, there are achievable goals with our hobby.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41
I agree mddst34 my friend and I are video gamers and comic book fans. Our wives give us a hard time about it but, as we tell them, we could get drunk and beat you. plus I only spend $$ on a new baseball, football, basketball game each year plus a few used ones here and there.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
I'm with Sim God....

Yeah its my hobby, but at least I'm home. And my girlfriend is completely okay with it. At least I'm not some guy that she has to wonder where I am.

Besides that, I work 2 jobs, work out, and am a lot busier than the average person.

Bottom line...these games are really just now starting to take off. The Show is the bomb, Madden, NCAA, Fight Night and Live are looking up, so this is no time to quit. To h*ll with what people say.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
By the way Hellisan...tell your wife games are catered to grow-ups now days. Hello.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Great article. We are a bizarre little group aren't we?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2009, 02:11 AM   #16
Waiting for Spring

jczar78's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Snapping the Sports-Gamer Stereotypes

It's a generational thing, I grew up playing video games and I'm never going to stop . This coming from a teacher, my gaming habits have changed a bit because I'm older and I have a family. I either play before my wife and daughter get up for work or school or after they have gone to sleep. So its rare that they see me play.

Not that my wife would tell me anything but I value my family time especially with my daughter, so I sacrifice some sleep in order to get my gaming in. But to say I'm going to stop gaming, never.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »