Home

Fight Night Round 4 Blog: The Sweet Science: Physics

This is a discussion on Fight Night Round 4 Blog: The Sweet Science: Physics within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Fight Night Round 4 Blog: The Sweet Science: Physics

EA has just posted another Fight Night Round 4 blog. This one covers the physics from the game.

Quote:
"I’ll be completely honest. I wasn’t the biggest fan of physics in school. There are a lot of reasons for that. My teachers probably weren’t the coolest, most interesting people in the world. The curriculum probably involved a lot of mathematical problem-solving with a pencil and paper. There were likely some experiments with wood and string and springs. Meh.

Well, things get a whole lot more interesting when you’re instructor is a virtual Smokin’ Joe Frazier.

When I first joined the Round 4 team, a small pre-production crew had already been hard at work prototyping the new physics engine. One of the first things I saw was a generic boxer model missing a straight right and shooting it just over the shoulder of his opponent. As he retracted the punch, his arm would slightly bump upwards as the other boxer stood up from a slight crouch. It may sound like a small detail, but it was a very big deal for me because I had never seen anything like it in a boxing game before. I see it happen almost every week on Friday Night Fights, but a video game? No way. The collision detection in Fight Night Round 4 sets it apart from its predecessors and sets the stage for several of the other big gameplay improvements. Most notably, the incorporation of height and reach as strategic factors in a fight, inside fighting and outside fighting and the variety of impacts that occur as two boxers punch, block, slip and move inside the ring."
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #2
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61
This game is taking too long. I wish it were comiing out in May.

And I really wish they would give us something on the commentary. I hope that hasn't been neglected. Thats part of realism too.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Fight Night Round 4 Blog: The Sweet Science: Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
This game is taking too long. I wish it were comiing out in May.

And I really wish they would give us something on the commentary. I hope that hasn't been neglected. Thats part of realism too.
Don't worry.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »