Home

NHL 10: Five Things to Know (ESPN Videogames)

This is a discussion on NHL 10: Five Things to Know (ESPN Videogames) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: NHL 10: Five Things to Know (ESPN Videogames)

Just to say it because it hasn't been mentioned yet. Women in the stands, that's a decent upgrade.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 31

Can I just say wow? If this is implimented well, and the whole "momentum" thing isn't cheesy or arcadey.. I'm all for it. Also that screen shot showing board pinning, if thats what that was, pretty impressive. The fighting and crowd reactions sounds fantastic.

Love the talk about fatigue affecting lines and affecting players bobbling passes and the like. That to me is authentic and the game feeling more dirty and less tape to tape is something that was sorely needed.

While it does sound similar to 2k's enforcer system, it actually sounds fleshed out and far better implimented on paper at least. The jury is still out til we see how this works out in actual gameplay but it sounds extremely promising and adds another layer of depth to the gameplay itself.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 47

With this game, Madden and 2k hockey. I am going to have a great Aug and Sep.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Oh how bad I can't wait to be able to shoot at Fleury after every play and face wash that punk Sidney Crosby.

This game sounds terrific.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

In previous games, you would hit an arbitrary button anywhere on the ice and you would fight," says Littman. "To be more realistic, this year you have to go find somebody to fight. You go up to an opponent and grab them, even face wash them, which people do in real life to get their attention, and then you're asking them to drop the gloves.

If someone face washes Apollo Creed, then he is going to get dropped.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersdabe
Oh how bad I can't wait to be able to shoot at Fleury after every play and face wash that punk Sidney Crosby.

This game sounds terrific.
Amen to that brother.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #15
Producer - EA Sports

Bumble14's Arena

OVR: 25
Wow...all I can really say is WOW..

As much as I liked NHL 09, something about it seemed so sterile and boring at times. I can not wait to see scrums, board pinning, and physical play. I'm surprised it took so long to impletment- I've been waiting for after whistle scrums since Ice Hockey on NES.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Okay, I know I'm going to sound all doom and gloom but I'm very paranoid this whole Intimidation stuff is going to be done incorrectly.

There is definitely some intimidation in the game. No doubt. But there are players who will never get intimidated no matter what goes on. Litty used Crosby as an example but I don't think this kid has ever been intimidated by anyone.

Also, I hope a fight won't automatically break out every time you go for one like it was described. And I really didn't like hearing that if there's no tough guys on the rink, then whoever you're abusing will drop the gloves. If that's the case then I'll start a fight against Detroit every shift. I'll gladly substitute a scrub to get Datsyuk, Hossa, Lidstrom or Zetterberg off the ice.
I want the fighting ratings directly linked to whether or not they'll drop the gloves. The Wings, by and large, never ever fight. Datsyuk could win the Selke for the 2nd time in a row so I never want to see him go anybody.

Don't get me wrong. I loved all that I read, but I'm worried that once again what goes on the ice won't be mirrored to the players attributes.
There are certain players in this game that have ice water in their veins and would never fumble passes or lose fatigue because they're scared. I don't want to hit Mike Richards 4 times and face wash him and then watch him fumble and bumble around the rest of the game. That would never happen.

And while Litty thinks that fighting and grinding will be a deterrent to cheap tactics, I have to disagree. In real life it might because real life people don't really like to be punched in the face. But in a video game, where you feel no pain, it's going to be nothing but after ice whistles and fights.
I just hope the AI is smart enough to suck you into taking dumb penalties if that's all you want to do.
If start that crap against a softer and gentler team like Detroit then I would expect to get a lot of penalites because Detroit won't retaliate.

Finally, while fighting can wake a team up it's not necessary to win games. Again, just look at Detroit.

I guess my main concern is that all of these features are going to be over the top. As much as I love the movie Slap Shot I don't necessarily want my hockey video game experience to be the same.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »