Home

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

This is a discussion on Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Demo Available (360)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalf
Here is what I am seeing after a while playing with the demo. I buy TW every year and I am sure I will buy it this year. If anything, I am a fanboy. I have played a lot of '09 lately to finish up my season before '10 comes out so I know the feel of '09 and I am not just going from memory.

Pros:

-Pop up box that shows how the hole has been played so far that day. X Pars, X Birdies, X Bogies, Avg Score, etc.

-Active on course scoreboards. These show current leader board, course conditions, your score card, etc.

-Club tuner available during practice rounds. Adds a little more to the club tuner idea. I am not sure how it will work in combination with online tournaments. Possible that this could allow someone to really tune for the course/conditions of the day and "pre-set" every shot.

-Rainy condition plays nice.

Cons:

-Gameplay from Tee to Green is EXACTLY the same as last year. Having Club Tuner during practice makes this even more obvious. 6 Iron into a green gives exactly the same result on every shot with the perfect swing; down to the pixel. Driver doesn't have much more variety.

-The new putting system actually makes putting easier. This might change on harder difficulty levels, but your putting bar starts off with the indicator at the exact distance. All you have to do is adjust the target bar for green speed and slope. You still have to adjust for break. You pull the stick back and push it forward when the meter advances to the target. It seems better than the old system with different putters for different distances but it plays a lot easier. You don't swing harder or take the club back further for long putts you just wait longer for the meter to get to the target bar. There is no real feel to it.

-I am really hoping this is just a demo thing but I played each course three times. Tiger made Eagle at 7 on Bethpage and 8 on Turnberry to get the exact same score all three times. It screams scripting but again I hope that is a demo thing.

It looks great, but I thought the last one looked great. They get points for some advances in presentation and new courses. Everything else is a wash and doesn't really feel any different from last year. The online tournament push is going to have to be really special to consider this much of an advancement in the series. I will be buying it because I love golf but there isn't anything in the demo to sway someone that has '09 and is on the fence about '10.
Man this is what I was afraid of. I always get suckered into buying Tiger and it always winds up being the same old game with a few meaningless tweaks. I'm gonna have to think long and hard about this one now, especially with the news that even on TOUR difficulty players can submit multiple online rounds for tourneys.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #18
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

3 pars and a birdie for me. Should've been the other way around but I got screwed over by that putting meter. Thought I just had to get it in the yellow.

I liked the tourny challenge. Might be worth a rental to play through that.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #19
Banned

thelwig14's Arena

OVR: 16

For the past couple of weeks I have been going back and forth between the Wii and 360 version...pretty much leaning heavily towards the 360 because of the giant graphical gap.

But after playing the demo, I may just skip it altogether. There was nothing novel about it and I had zero excitement playing it. I may just take a Tiger break altogether this year.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #20
MVP

Hurricain's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

Hmm, Demo was nothing special. Too bad it was on beginner.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Haven't played Tiger on this generation of consoles yet, but had TW10 preordered due to all of the talk of sim tuning. Not liking the sounds of the impressions so far. I'll have to DL the demo soon and see if I like it enough or not to hold my preorder.

I still have Links 2004 to tide me over if need be.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 24

Since it's on easy I'm not even bothering to download this. It's a waste of my hard drive space. Observations here confirm that not much has changed and I play the PC TW games for that reason. I'm only getting the Wii version. 11 more courses and 1:1 and the graphics aren't that bad. It's a no brainer for me, I just hope that there's a difficulty on the Wii version that is actually realistic.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 5

I am so glad I ran into this thread. I was about to download the demo and will not skip it and consider dropping my pre-order.

I really thought they had did some "worthwhile" upgrades this year...
Old 05-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #24
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelwig14
But after playing the demo, I may just skip it altogether. There was nothing novel about it and I had zero excitement playing it. I may just take a Tiger break altogether this year.
I'd rather EA Sports not put out a demo at all if they're going to put something out that doesn't represent even the lowest level that people will be playing it - Balanced/Amateur. How do they ever expect to reach sceptical, simulation minded gamers by keeping Tour Pro mode off the plate in the demo!? Really, they have shot themselves in the foot, for the fourth year in a row with this neutered demo... (sigh)

The Wii version was looking okay graphically last night on X-Play, but dawggone it... that swing interface looks so sweet. It was nice to see the golfer check his swing short of a full follow-through when the human player did so. I'm very tempted to cancel my pre-order for the 360 version, and go with the Wii,

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »