Home

Fuel is "arguably the most open-world game there is" (Vg247)

This is a discussion on Fuel is "arguably the most open-world game there is" (Vg247) within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Fuel is "arguably the most open-world game there is" (Vg247)

I'd like to see some impressions because IGN gave it a 5.1.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/987/987212p1.html

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 06-06-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 7

5.1 is way too low.

This isn't anywhere close to sim racing but it is TDU on steroids set in a Mad Max(not Road Warrior) style West USA. You don't get the shiny name brand cars but you get a big variety of cars that handle significantly different. Racing is pretty much standard TDU style. A few different kinds of races. There are various things to find in open world; paint styles(liveries), vistas(nice scenery spots), and vehicles. I have read there is a severe catchup code but I have yet to see it in action. There is damage and your car will show some wear, but it has no real effect. First person view is nothing special. It is a front bumper type came and not a cockpit view. Motorcycles and Quads feel different but are still way more stable than anything trying to be a sim.

The environmental graphics are great. Driving into a thunderstorm is awe-inspiring. It really creates a world I would like to know more about.

It could move from a good game to an outstanding game if it had just a little bit of role-playing/back story because the world seems ideal for it and you don't get any explanation of when/where you are and why. Feeling like you are part of a story and racing for a reason would really work here. Just a little of it would have gone a long way.

The sound is absolutely horrible. You will switch vehicles in different terrain because if you are in a car that is spinning the tires or can't get up to speed the sound will drive you crazy.

It isn't Forza but it isn't trying to be. It is a time killer that has enough quality to make you forget you are killing time. If you played TDU and can imagine TDU in a Mad Max setting with off road added in then that is exactly what you get.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Thanks for the impressions Zalf, I will give it a rental and go from there.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »