Home

FIFA Soccer 10 Producer: ‘It's Time to Stop Bad-Mouthing EA’

This is a discussion on FIFA Soccer 10 Producer: ‘It's Time to Stop Bad-Mouthing EA’ within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
Rookie

Murkurial's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: FIFA Soccer 10 Producer: ‘It's Time to Stop Bad-Mouthing EA’

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. IMO, EA's NHL series doesn't resemble hockey in the slightest. The "controls" and the "smoothness" is are great and all that, but the "gameplay" is laughably arcade. On the other hand, FIFA at least resembles the sport they're trying to emulate.

But until EA overhauls the "We're not actually going to fix this game because it's the ultimate cash cow" and uber-arcade fest Madden series, nobody from EA Sports should be whining about EA being bad-mouthed. That and the fact that for all the talk here about budget and money to spend, neither FIFA 09 nor NHL 09 were anything except a minor upgrade from the previous version. And in many ways, the 08 versions of both were the better games -- certainly in the case of NHL.

Or let's put it this way: they're not exactly busting their humps in the "new and innovative" department. One look at the Madden 10 vids will tell you that, LOL.
To the first point that I put in bold, FIFA resembles soccer insofar as there are 22 guys on the "pitch", which I put in quotation marks because it's terribly small (as are the goals) and a soccer ball. The more you play the game the more you'll find that that's where the similarities end.

To the second point in bold. I completely agree and that may be the first time, either or on EA's FIFA forums, that I've actually heard someone make that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
For starters I can understand his frustration. Unfortunately, the 800lb gorilla, bully, top of the heap company will get bashed all the time. They will also be the most loved and hated at all times. It's the same in every industry, sport, whatever. If you're on top, you'll take a beating whether it's warranted or not. It's never going to change. He'll have to get used to it.

I will give him his props though, for the money statement. FIFA 10 will be the third year in a row without a back of the box feature.

08: Can You FIFA

09: Let's FIFA 09

10: ???

The team is doing what we as a community and other communities (for the most part) globally have been asking for for years. For the third year in a row GAMEPLAY is the focus. If the trend of improvement continues FIFA 10 will be a good game.

Unfortunately, the game is far short of being a simulation on the pitch, and the game modes are completely boring. Online play is filled with cheaters and cheeseballs (not you Q!) and online team play is like watching the Showtime Lakers from the 80s run up and down the court. It's a joke.

While a lot of the dev time over the last few years has been devoted to gameplay, too much has been devoted to online play. Never thought I'd say this, but the FIFA team needs to take a page from the Madden guys handbook:

"If it happens on Sunday, it needs to be in the game. If it doesn't then it needs to be out."

Poor sub patterns, lack of fouls, psychotic CPU defenders, old school CPU cheats STILL programmed in at the higher playing levels. I could go on. You get the idea.
Glad to see that there are a few people here that know what the **** they're talking about when it comes to FIFA. Some of the other guys that I've seen talking about the game in other threads have my head spinning.

Check out a site called FIFAsoccerblog [and mods this isn't my site but if we can't advertise other sites let me know] which has a ton of interview with producers about the upcoming game. Now, they claim that a lot of what they're doing to the game can't be revealed until later this month but you'll find that EVERY SINGLE ONE of them seems to be touting this new 360 degree dribbling mechanic. While it's a novel idea and a welcomed change, the potential for cheesing is there and they still don't seem to want to address the more pressing concerns.

I'm hoping that when we finally get some gameplay vids my fears won't be realized but I already don't like the direction that 09 has taken to begin with and it sounds like they [the developers] are actually of the mindset that this new super-fast play style is an actual improvement of what I thought was a far more tactical and realistic FIFA 08.

Last edited by Murkurial; 06-09-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murkurial
I'm hoping that when we finally get some gameplay vids my fears won't be realized but I already don't like the direction that 09 has taken to begin with and it sounds like they [the developers] are actually of the mindset that this new super-fast play style is an actual improvement of what I thought was a far more tactical and realistic FIFA 08.
I probably enjoyed 08 more than 09 and certainly played it a lot more, mostly due to its slower pace which gave it more of a 'tactical' feel. Which is why I was excited to hear on FIFASoccerBlog (and other places as well I think) that the game speed will be more like 08 with the responsiveness of 09. Sounds good in theory, but we shall see...
Old 06-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Wasn't slow setting on 09 the same as the normal pace of 08?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
Wasn't slow setting on 09 the same as the normal pace of 08?
It was close (the increased responsiveness makes it tough to compare), but remember, all online play was at normal speed...
Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 5

I agree.

FIFA is not the perfect simulation. But how fun would it be to play the game if that was true? But I agree that the steal with X is to easy. I doesnt matter if you play as Zlatan Ibrahimovic, C.Ronaldo or some skilled player. The defender runs straight trough everybody.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
MVP

therizing02's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by coccis
FIFA is not the perfect simulation. But how fun would it be to play the game if that was true?
This is exactly what I think the developers think. Which IMO is bs. No one expects perfection, but what we do expect are realistic dribbling moves and not a 56 rated attacker running at full sprint speed cutting back on a dime and releasing 90mph flick into the top right corner.

We also expect the higher gameplay levels to be tough, but not littered with old school CPU cheats. We expect a pace that is similar to what we see every weekend not a fast break two passes up the pitch and then a shot. The majority of my game stats resemble this:

Possession: 56%-41% in favor of me.
Shots: 7-18 in favor of CPU
Fouls: 1-5 in favor of CPU

A lot of the issues with pace come from the God awful CTT that were assigned to everyone and shipped. Yes, we can change them, but there are 25-30 slots for saved CTT. Hardly enough.

We also expect the CPU to sub properly.

We expect the CPU in MM to make changes to his lineup and USE the transfers that he bought.

This game has a long way to go before the word simulation should be used in the same breath with FIFA.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #15
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
This is exactly what I think the developers think. Which IMO is bs. No one expects perfection, but what we do expect are realistic dribbling moves and not a 56 rated attacker running at full sprint speed cutting back on a dime and releasing 90mph flick into the top right corner.

We also expect the higher gameplay levels to be tough, but not littered with old school CPU cheats. We expect a pace that is similar to what we see every weekend not a fast break two passes up the pitch and then a shot. The majority of my game stats resemble this:

Possession: 56%-41% in favor of me.
Shots: 7-18 in favor of CPU
Fouls: 1-5 in favor of CPU

A lot of the issues with pace come from the God awful CTT that were assigned to everyone and shipped. Yes, we can change them, but there are 25-30 slots for saved CTT. Hardly enough.

We also expect the CPU to sub properly.

We expect the CPU in MM to make changes to his lineup and USE the transfers that he bought.

This game has a long way to go before the word simulation should be used in the same breath with FIFA.
I agree 110% about the Devs possibly being scared to make the game as realistic as possible. It might reduce the "highlight reel" quality the game has right now but it will increase the strategic and tactical play which is at a minimum right now.

They also need to either tune the CTT or take it out of the game all together. As it is right now, you can turn your aggression all the way up and it seems as if your players win more 50-50 balls, tackles harder and steal the ball easier (and apparently they're not fouling anyone either,) possess the ball better, win damn near every ball that's in the air, etc. At first I thought it might have been placibo but I don't think so anymore...I've seen it too many times, from too many different people, for it to be a pure coincidence.

I'm at a complete loss as to how seemingly the majority of the FIFA gaming communtiy sees FIFA 09 as "one of the best soccer games to date." When it's clearly not.

Last edited by nuckles2k2; 06-16-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #16
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Which is why I was excited to hear on FIFASoccerBlog (and other places as well I think) that the game speed will be more like 08 with the responsiveness of 09.
That sounds amazing! But it might be tough to pull off. Given proper responsiveness, most players will start running around at break speed. Hopefully they'll do things like make lateral movement easier to wrongfoot defenders that charge at you (the new LB mechanic sounds like it might address this) and have pass and shot accuracy more heavily depend on being upright and balanced (and thus under control). Also, faster, but less accurate passing will open up the whole field, while allowing for the difficulty or unreliability of long passing.

Also, a more punishing fatigue mechanic would do wonders. That's one area that PES does right. If you run around like you're crazy, you will be ineffective and tired by the 75 minute.

Lastly, I think they should tune the defensive logic they have for 2010 (where defenders evaluate threats and cover each other when there is open space) to allow for defenses to get more confused/jumbled when the ball is moved around. A great coach once said "you can't penetrate a defense until you've moved it" and that is exactly what Fifa should reward. For example, if you try a through ball over the top, one CB should jostle the target man and the other should drop back to easily clear it. But if you switch the field then dart the ball in to the AMF, then back out to the SMF, then over the top for a through ball, it should be harder for the defenders to keep track of their marks and assignments.

Last edited by teambayern; 06-17-2009 at 04:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »