Home

NHL 2K10: First Look (Gamespot)

This is a discussion on NHL 2K10: First Look (Gamespot) within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 2k10: Gamespot First Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
This series is really turning its back on what made it popular to begin with --- the sim aspect.

You have no basis for this comment. I assume you're basing it off the little PR tagline in the preview, but marketing is not always indicative of what a game will be like, especially with sports games, and especially with 2K Sports as their marketing teams have never seemed to get it.

You have no idea what the game will look like or play like. Its really early to be making comments like that. I can understand if you are basing it off of 2K9, but you also have to understand what 2K9 was. 2K9 was a product of a severely shortened development cycle. Kush was let go from the series after the development cycle had already started. Development moved back in-house to Visual Concepts, who then tried to salvage the code left behind by Kush. They eventually made the decision to scrap the code altogether and start over.

Realistically 2K9 was put out as-is, and was more an early development version of what 2K10 will be. Its not fair to base the series off of 2K9, especially considering 2K8 was the most sim, realistic hockey game ever created.

At least give them a chance to show the game before making up your mind about the direction of the series. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you will eventually see
Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw333
You have no basis for this comment. I assume you're basing it off the little PR tagline in the preview, but marketing is not always indicative of what a game will be like, especially with sports games, and especially with 2K Sports as their marketing teams have never seemed to get it.

You have no idea what the game will look like or play like. Its really early to be making comments like that. I can understand if you are basing it off of 2K9, but you also have to understand what 2K9 was. 2K9 was a product of a severely shortened development cycle. Kush was let go from the series after the development cycle had already started. Development moved back in-house to Visual Concepts, who then tried to salvage the code left behind by Kush. They eventually made the decision to scrap the code altogether and start over.

Realistically 2K9 was put out as-is, and was more an early development version of what 2K10 will be. Its not fair to base the series off of 2K9, especially considering 2K8 was the most sim, realistic hockey game ever created.

At least give them a chance to show the game before making up your mind about the direction of the series. You might be pleasantly surprised by what you will eventually see
You had me up to 2k8 was the most sim game ever. Then I just rolled my eyes and chuckled.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #11
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
You had me up to 2k8 was the most sim game ever. Then I just rolled my eyes and chuckled.
If 2k8 isn't THE most sim...its top 3. In my book, its like...well...probably number one. There have been a lot of great games though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2009, 05:17 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
This series is really turning its back on what made it popular to begin with --- the sim aspect.
First 2k9 had a short cycle to work with and second I would at least wait for a few reviews or a demo and then base your thoughts off of real info .
We all know companies can say or put anything on a box new improved real sim ect and sure somethings 2k says isnt promising but lets at least wait and see.
As Not everyone is on the EA Payroll j/k and REAL HOCKEY FANS would like 2 great games

Last edited by dorismary; 06-19-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL 2K10: First Look (Gamespot)

I think people need to realize that 2K's marketing is geared towards getting the fence surfers and non-fans. It doesn't necessarily mean that the game is going to be arcady and over-the-top.

2K9 had it's flaws, but it had a lot of good things under the hood.

Like RealmK said, if the AI is improved so that the CPU isn't so one-dimensional, it could be a tremendous sim game.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL 2K10: First Look (Gamespot)

From 2Khockey.net:

http://www.2khockey.net/forums/index...dpost&p=273986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengman19
It's going to be a sim game. All the media and hype is geared towards the casuals. Even EA's media is geared towards the casuals. The entire article is from the marketing department. It's not the developers speaking. Developers are making a sim game.
http://www.2khockey.net/forums/index...dpost&p=274008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish(2k10 Producer)
Listen to the Pengman. He knows of what he speaks. You'll be getting more of the info that you'll really want to hear very soon.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK

In my opinion, it is the most simulation hockey game ever made. With the right slider settings in human vs. human play, its easily the most realistic hockey game created yet. The depth of control (whether you were able to get accustomed to them or not) sets it apart. Especially on the defensive end, its bounds above anything done previously or since. The stick work in 2K8 is what really defines the realism. Your stick positioning actually matters in that game, both defensively and offensively.

For you to roll your eyes at that comment means your probably never played 2K8 with good simulation sliders, or if you did you didn't play it against like-minded simulation style opponents.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #16
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw333
In my opinion, it is the most simulation hockey game ever made. With the right slider settings in human vs. human play, its easily the most realistic hockey game created yet. The depth of control (whether you were able to get accustomed to them or not) sets it apart. Especially on the defensive end, its bounds above anything done previously or since. The stick work in 2K8 is what really defines the realism. Your stick positioning actually matters in that game, both defensively and offensively.

For you to roll your eyes at that comment means your probably never played 2K8 with good simulation sliders, or if you did you didn't play it against like-minded simulation style opponents.
But you know I have played 2K8 extensively and in regards to your human to human competition, it's passable because of the pro stick control and quicker responsiveness to the slide block, but the defensive position was matador. And without responsiveness to switch to a defensive player you wanted quickly, walk-ins were welcomed. 2K8 was hit first, stick check later as well.

I still hold that 2K9 could be set up better in H v. H play. I think it's going to seen as a good base for what 2K10 will be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »