Home

Backbreaker Preview (Destructoid)

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Preview (Destructoid) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Backbreaker Preview (Destructoid)

Destructoid has posted their preview of Backbreaker.

Quote:
"Once the ball is snapped, using focus will automatically follow your primary receiver, and in focus mode, passes will be more accurate. But since the camera will be closer to the QB -- like in aggressive mode with a ball carrier -- it’ll be tougher to see defenders coming for you. To throw the ball, you flick the right stick forward. In the build I saw, all the throws were simple on-a-wire bullet passes, but Donald assured me that there would be variety in the final release. They were still tweaking it, but he suggested that a long bomb would require you to pull back on the right stick and then flick upwards.

It’s a similar story on defense, though Donald admitted that the team was currently further with the offense than they were with the defense. Again, he drew a contrast between Backbreaker and the way things have been done in most football games to this point. Generally, players will sit back and let the AI do most of the work before switching to the defender closest to the ball carrier to make the tackle. Here, though, you’ll pick a player on the play select screen (you’ll be able to change, of course), and he’ll have an assignment that’s highlighted in orange. For example, in the instance I saw, Donald played as the linebacker, and his target (the quarterback) showed up in orange. So your defense’s success -- or failure -- will be on you."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 32
Re: Backbreaker Preview (Destructoid)

I feel that although this game will offer a welcomed change of pace from Madden, it will not be anything more than a game with a gimmick. What I mean by that is the info I read about how the camera view, the controls etc. will make or break this game. I know ultimately a hands on demo of the game will really be required to get the final say, but I am not holding my breath on this one. In action, it looks awesome, however how it plays in our hands will be another....
Old 06-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

In all the reviews I've read, I'm very surprised that the offensive/defensive line interaction was not a premium when creating the game. Seems like the dev team worried more about flash & dash than the game inside the game ie: the trenches. That's what can make or break a good football game. On top of that, seems like the dev team put a premium on the offensive side of the ball versus the defensive side, so I'm not sure what to expect. Score-a-thons, arcadey like feel, handicapped defenses? Doesn't sit right with me at the moment.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

This one is looking better and better with each new update.

And all you crazy people with the "no franchise mode = no sale" mentality can finally shut up now that it's been confirmed in this article.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Rookie

Jerikokai's Arena

OVR: 5

man i hope this is good
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
This one is looking better and better with each new update.

And all you crazy people with the "no franchise mode = no sale" mentality can finally shut up now that it's been confirmed in this article.
Now I'm getting a little more interested now..
Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
So you're telling us that everyone else at E3 got nothing towards an answer about play modes, but this website got an answer at E3? Not likely when IGN paid for and exclusive.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
MVP

bvb24's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
In all the reviews I've read, I'm very surprised that the offensive/defensive line interaction was not a premium when creating the game. Seems like the dev team worried more about flash & dash than the game inside the game ie: the trenches. That's what can make or break a good football game. On top of that, seems like the dev team put a premium on the offensive side of the ball versus the defensive side, so I'm not sure what to expect. Score-a-thons, arcadey like feel, handicapped defenses? Doesn't sit right with me at the moment.
EA calls this "wide open gameplay."

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »