Home

NHL 10 Blog: More Gameplay Refinements w/ 3 New Videos

This is a discussion on NHL 10 Blog: More Gameplay Refinements w/ 3 New Videos within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2009, 02:58 AM   #25
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: NHL 10 Blog: More Gameplay Refinements w/ 3 New Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
While I hear what you're saying and agree, as far as improvements from one year to the next I think we should give them a ton of credit. Every area of the game us hardcore guys had issues with looks to either be totally adressed and if not at least improved substantially. I was excited about the game before watching these gameplay vids, now I'm absolutely frantic to get my hands on this years game.

The AI improvements, passing, and puck physics alone have me pumped. Defensive AI especially, that the CPU will now clog the neutral zone and try and force a dump and chase at the blue line in addition to the puck being alot more loose and you having the chance to actually get down in the corners and retrieve it, and if not successful be able to pin someone up against the boards really makes the game that more realistic, gritty and less end to end. That alone to me is huge being more of an offline guy. Are the goalies perfect? no, but the're a far step up from 09, with all the other additions to the game this year I think I can deal with that and not be all that upset.
Agreed on all points. I think that the quality of this series over the last three years and the work by the dev team might leave us a little jaded. To really understand what these guys have done and continue to do, pop in NHL 06 or even better, give NHL 2003 a go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 03:03 AM   #26
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
While I hear what you're saying and agree, as far as improvements from one year to the next I think we should give them a ton of credit. Every area of the game us hardcore guys had issues with looks to either be totally adressed and if not at least improved substantially. I was excited about the game before watching these gameplay vids, now I'm absolutely frantic to get my hands on this years game.

The AI improvements, passing, and puck physics alone have me pumped. Defensive AI especially, that the CPU will now clog the neutral zone and try and force a dump and chase at the blue line in addition to the puck being alot more loose and you having the chance to actually get down in the corners and retrieve it, and if not successful be able to pin someone up against the boards really makes the game that more realistic, gritty and less end to end. That alone to me is huge being more of an offline guy. Are the goalies perfect? no, but the're a far step up from 09, with all the other additions to the game this year I think I can deal with that and not be all that upset.
...and after you do all that...you get a good fashwash in on Sidney for whining about his penalties...
Old 07-10-2009, 03:17 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
...and after you do all that...you get a good fashwash in on Sidney for whining about his penalties...
For sure, I wonder if you facewash Sid too much he'll skate over and punch you in the nuts. Now that would be realistic!
Old 07-10-2009, 05:17 AM   #28
MVP

OVR: 15

I must admit this is the best insideblog EA has ever posted all sports considered!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
def liked a lot of things about that video... defense standing up at the blue line, that board pass, guys cycling in the offensive zone more. One of my favorite things to see was guys actually flipping the pucks around the boards in the defensive end to try and cycle it out when the puck gets knocked into the corner (I hope thats not just a result of the easy level, and on harder levels it'll be just like in past games where they can turn around and just carry it out of the zone, because its something that happens in the NHL all the time) ...

I will point out a couple things that I didnt particularly like though too

in a couple of those vids, the goalie still looks like he's moving/reacting too fast compared to the rest of the guys out there... I love rebound goals, but did we see a single goal that wasnt a rebound? Just look at part 1, the 3rd clip where the guy shoots from his knees... the goalie flies across the crease at an incredibly unrealistic speed

my other big issues w/ the goalie is that sure there may be more animations/imroved animations, but they still don't seem human... the "splits" save animation looks greatly greatly greatly improved compared to last year... the goalie looks like he's actually still alive when he does it and reacts to the puck, rather than frozen in time sliding across the crease... however it seems like that new splits is going to be the norm when the goalie should have more animations available

just look at the game winning goal in clip 3... why the hell is luongo doing the splits on that? If I let the puck trickle between my legs and a guy picks up the puck w/ an open goal in front of him, i'm sure as hell not sliding over to him... i'm going into "desperation" mode and doing everything in my power to stop him... diving, throwing my stick out to try and knock it away, flailing my arms... you look at any NHL goalie, he would have been on his back at the end of that play trying to stop it

I dont want the goalies to be robots who can react to anything and the only way to beat them is with a rebound... I want them to do everything in their power to save a puck though, which may cause them to be off their line on a nice pass and give the offense a chance to find a hole... and I just don't see that yet
Maybe something similar to the first save Luongo makes in this clip should be used a little more often and as of now, the only thing that has bugged me a little about the goalies is amount of split saves they are attempting. Other than that, this game is going to be AMAZINGGGGG!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_EVWZXAOM0

Last edited by Lukey_J; 07-10-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #30
MVP

funky_chicken's Arena

OVR: 37

Reading this blog and watching the videos has officially got me excited about NHL 10. Hopefully they were being truthful when they said the game is no longer scripted. That is the way all games should be. They should play and flow naturally.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 6

I loved the videos and blog, but just to nitpick, I did not like the save in the video where the guy goes on his knees and hits the posts. No goalie would ever try a splits save on that occasion.

My favourite feature is the passing by far, two reasons I still play NHL 04(Best NHL game ever) is because of the passing and the board play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #32
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

oh trust me guys, i'm not really "complaining" as much as still trying to give constructive criticism

I don't expect everything I want changed to happen overnight... this game has been by far one of if not the best sports games (gameplay wise) over the last 3 years, and it looks like they've made some great additions this year (and additions we all wanted none the less)... so big kudos to them

that said I hope they continue to improve in the future and address the things I'm voicing now

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »