Home

2K Sports Unveils Features for NHL 2K10 (Press Release)

This is a discussion on 2K Sports Unveils Features for NHL 2K10 (Press Release) within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2009, 02:06 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: Feature List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
No offense, but you could never dash my hopes. You can wait and see, but I'm over joyed at the feature list and I have no reason to doubt what they are saying about improvements. After seeing how the NBA series has improved year after year and the one year of 2k baseball, I have all the faith in the world that what we are reading is what we will get. I'm ecstatic to say the least. And it was a 2 year project, as I have read this several times. I'll have to take the word of the DEVELOPER on that one. I'm just saying. VC knows what they are doing when it comes to sports games.

From IGN:
"It's far too early to tell at this point, but that's exactly what 2K is going for with NHL 2K10. Don't worry, the game still looks the same (better, in fact) as far as style and realism, you've got every mode and option you expect from last year, but 2K as also mentioned that the company is essentially giving the true two year project it intended on back in 2007. Last year's game was fun and had a lot of options, but this is really a continuation off of that. If 2K9 was fun, but not quite there, it's because it was only half of the dev cycle in 2K's mind. As such, 2K10 is meant to be the fruits of two years of labor; not just a one-year quick fix update".
Brinkman had initially said that about the MLB series when he took over with 2k6 that it was a 3 year plan and look what happened there? Its one of those situations that I generally take with a grain of salt due to just how often personel shuffles and dev teams get changed on a regular basis in the industry.

I'm not sure how long you've been playing the 2k hockey series, I could certainly understand your enthusiasm if it was only a couple years or since this gen of consoles or what not. Keep in mind that there are those of us who have bought or at least played just about every version since either 2k3 or the dreamcast days, (been since 2k3 myself) and have heard the "We improved the AI substantially this year" remark more than once over that span only to have it remain pretty much the same as it for the most part has been since 2k5 or so. So please excuse those who don't have that same enthusiasm or optimism. Not to mention the franchise freezes that have plagued the game about as long.

I also question if VC has the personel for the entire sports line to get the attention each title deserves now that Kush is not around having to take on both MLB and NHL on what seemed to be pretty short notice.

Thats not to say they can't get it done and I really hope they have finally. Models look pretty good this year aside from EA's just being a tad more detailed imo. Though 2k goalies to me still aren't all that impressive model wise, something just seems off but thats moot.

I hope things pan out and am anxiously awaiting 2k10 via gamefly but at the same point I'm a tad pessimistic having been burned enough years already.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #26
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Brinkman had initially said that about the MLB series when he took over with 2k6 that it was a 3 year plan and look what happened there? Its one of those situations that I generally take with a grain of salt due to just how often personel shuffles and dev teams get changed on a regular basis in the industry.

I'm not sure how long you've been playing the 2k hockey series, I could certainly understand your enthusiasm if it was only a couple years or since this gen of consoles or what not. Keep in mind that there are those of us who have bought or at least played just about every version since either 2k3 or the dreamcast days, (been since 2k3 myself) and have heard the "We improved the AI substantially this year" remark more than once over that span only to have it remain pretty much the same as it for the most part has been since 2k5 or so. So please excuse those who don't have that same enthusiasm or optimism. Not to mention the franchise freezes that have plagued the game about as long.

I also question if VC has the personel for the entire sports line to get the attention each title deserves now that Kush is not around having to take on both MLB and NHL on what seemed to be pretty short notice.

Thats not to say they can't get it done and I really hope they have finally. Models look pretty good this year aside from EA's just being a tad more detailed imo. Though 2k goalies to me still aren't all that impressive model wise, something just seems off but thats moot.

I hope things pan out and am anxiously awaiting 2k10 via gamefly but at the same point I'm a tad pessimistic having been burned enough years already.

I demand to know where the real Realm is. You sir are an impostor. This is not the same person that I have argued with for the last couple of years, lol.

Seriously, I understand about the baseball series plan breakdown, but it took a major leap last year with VC taking over. Still flawed but definitely more dynamic atmosphere and game play wise. Not a finished product by any means but I feel it's finally headed in the right direction. I guess my confidence in VC comes from the NBA series. You know what's funny, I didn't like the NHL series from 2k3 to 2k5. I know they were good to a lot of people, but I remember it being so quite you could hear the players skating up and down the ice, like a sh sh sound. It had absolutely no presentation or personality IMO at all back then. I guess that's what pulls me in, the atmosphere. I can't play games that don't have that right. It's one of the main reasons I enjoyed NHL 2K9 so much, not to mention the superb animations and player collision detection. I never had the franchise freeze but my main concern is the dynasty mode trade logic and free agent signings. If those things are fixed I will be in hockey heaven.

I agree the goalies are not as detailed as they could be but I think their animations are better than EA. Back you were liking 2k3 I was into EA hockey. Now we are both hoping to like the other game again. I wouldn't mind spending 120 on 2 good games and EA does look really good so far. I plan on giving the skill stick a longer try this year by the way.

Last edited by Eddie1967; 07-25-2009 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Completely rewritten AI? WOW!
I think they said something similar about MLB 2K9 (or re-writing something or other), and that game has horrific AI behavior and logic. At this point, all I'm convinced of is that 2K is pleading to consumers and saying, "We've changed, honest; please come back!" After four years of sub-par, broken games, I'll only believe their PR stuff when I see it for myself.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #28
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I think they said something similar about MLB 2K9 (or re-writing something or other), and that game has horrific AI behavior and logic. At this point, all I'm convinced of is that 2K is pleading to consumers and saying, "We've changed, honest; please come back!" After four years of sub-par, broken games, I'll only believe their PR stuff when I see it for myself.
That's understandable. I didn't think 2k9's AI was "horrific" but it could definitely stand some improvement.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 11

This will be my first hockey game since 2K5(not a big hockey fan) but 2K10 looks amazing.

Great Job 2K!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
I didn't think 2k9's AI was "horrific".
You didn't watch the many MLB 2K9 glitch vids on Youtube I guess.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #31
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

Quote:

To be honest, I stay away from things like that. I don't want to ruin my experience by knowing about every glitch. Major bugs? yes, but there are always glitches and knowing everyone might dull my enjoyment of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Its not like you even need to watch glitch vids, just play a game and watch your fielders drop routine fly balls on a regular basis. Or send a player down thats under performing only to have them look completely different when you bring them back up (usually bald) MLB2k9 has some great presentation with the real time stuff and Thorne in the booth, the gameplay though as usual with a 2ksports game as of late is a very mixed bag.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »