Home

NHL 2K10 Developer Insights: Gameplay Mechanics Part I & II

This is a discussion on NHL 2K10 Developer Insights: Gameplay Mechanics Part I & II within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: NHL2K10 Dev Insights

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I was more talking about how NFL 2k5 had preset difficulties, but when you changed a slider, it went from that difficulty to "Custom". So the difficulties were based off the sliders. For example, on the middle difficulty, all the sliders were even. When you bumped it down, you'd have your human sliders filled 75% of the way, while the CPU had their sliders filled 25% of the way.

Yep, that way the CPU never cheated you. You were able to choose from Rookie, Pro, All Pro and Custom.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #26
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
If this is actually the case and the AI ends up being halfassed again and completely reliant on speed boosts and the like on higher levels rather than more intelligent positioning and decisions, I'm gonna be pretty pissed.
I don't think this will be the case. No one wants to play against a CPU that's only better then them because they're faster. But I guess we won't know until we get to play.

Wouldn't a smarter AI be achieved by increasing their G-O-D sliders? Then again, I guess those sliders never made them smarter, just probably boosted their ratings, which, I guess, makes them more effective.

I knew there was a reason I stopped being a slider-freak. It turns the game into a math equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I don't think this will be the case. No one wants to play against a CPU that's only better then them because they're faster. But I guess we won't know until we get to play.

Wouldn't a smarter AI be achieved by increasing their G-O-D sliders? Then again, I guess those sliders never made them smarter, just probably boosted their ratings, which, I guess, makes them more effective.

I knew there was a reason I stopped being a slider-freak. It turns the game into a math equation.
You'd think increasing the G-O-D sliders would do that. Its just never been the case in 2k games and in the case of 2k9 it honesty just increased the arcadey elements, Dmen doing spin a ramas up the ice, goaltenders warping to make impossible saves etc. NHL2k's biggest weakness over the years aside from bugs and lack of polish has been awful ai. Their only game that actually got AI right was 2k3, hell they oughta just use the damn AI code from 2k3.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I'm interested to know the answer to that as well.

On "Rookie" level would the sliders be configured so that the CPU is slower, has less accuracy on shots and passes, and sloppy goalies?

I really hope there's an 'AI Intelligence' slider so we can dictate how smart the CPU will be.
I'm not reading it that way. He says no more "hidden" CPU boosts, not the removal of boosts.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #29
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

WWTC,

Just curious.. do we have area intros during season play now instead of only exhibition and playoffs? It would be a shame to miss many of them if they are only for playoffs!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

From WWTC at 2khockey.net:

Quote:

I'll explain the "ratings boost" thing.

NHL2K3 through 2K9:
Hall of Famer, if Human and CPU speed burst effect sliders were set to 50, the CPU is faster than you.

NHL2K10:
No matter what the difficulty, if a slider is set to 50, that is what you get. No under the hood changes based on difficulty to give the CPU a boost. You can still put the CPU Slider to 100 and the User slider to 50 if you want, but no difficulty gives the CPU faster players than you.
So with sliders, yes the CPU can have a boost over your players.
I just hope there's a slider for CPU intelligence. But it appears that it might.
I hope that today's blog will dig deeper into that aspect.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #31
NHL 2K11 Producer

OVR: 5

Quote:

I just hope there's a slider for CPU intelligence. But it appears that it might.
Even on Hall of Fame difficulty, we will not be giving speed boosts to the CPU. I'll get more into that in my next blog
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:

Well thats a relief to say the least.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »