Home

NHL 10 Blog: EASHL Championships - Purple Cobraz vs The Regulators w/ Lots of Videos

This is a discussion on NHL 10 Blog: EASHL Championships - Purple Cobraz vs The Regulators w/ Lots of Videos within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #17
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: NHL 10 Blog: EASHL Championships - Purple Cobraz vs The Regulators w/ Lots of Vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
Hopefully with board play in NHL10 the dump and chase works. That team had a tough 5 man formation at the blueline. So many teams in the EASHL did that and it was really tough to get through consistently.
Our team had some success with the dump & chase, but only when our opponents were over aggressive in collapsing to the puck side. When they did, you could slap it hard around the boards with the offside wing streaking down the boards. However, if the weak side D-man played his position properly, this didn't work all that well.

On a side note, The Purple Cobraz spanked us the only time we played them. We hung with them for a while, but one of our D-men got disconnected and they eventually worked us over to the tune of something like 8-1.

We had an AI goalie (not sure if they did or not, but they had human skaters), so once we were forced to one human D-man, they picked us apart with the cross-crease. I remember a lot frustration on the mics that game, as we couldn't adapt to having that damn AI guy fowling up our D-zone coverage. At that point (shortly after 2nd patch I believe), we had five guys who played together all the time and were playing quite well for about a month stretch post-patch. C'est la vie... (or something, I never took French)

Last edited by Qb; 08-17-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #18
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: NHL 10 Blog: EASHL Championships - Purple Cobraz vs The Regulators w/ Lots of Vid

Playing with only one human D with a CPU goalie was frustrating once the glitch goals got out of control.

I played D and was often the only human back there and it was damn frustrating. I mean, I knew exactly what was coming and could shut them down most of the time, but once I got caught it was game over. We'd get down a goal and start pressing more and the game would snowball downhill.

If the other team was fast, I'd drop back to the redline to play prevent defense, but of course the offense suffered with no point man. The only way to open up teams D down low was with a point man with a cannon of a shot.

We never got a dump and chase working consistently. The weak side D man usually would cover. Also, lots of teams figured out that you could interfere with players all you want as long as you didn't hit the stick to actually check the player. One or two little bumps was enough to slow you down to where the puck was theirs.

Teams like that just destroyed us.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 31

Its funny, theres now a recap video on the EAsports RAC youtube channel with a complete recap of all the games from the series and 99.9% of them are short side, cross crease or curve shots. Man those Cobra guys sure do know how to exploit glitch goals I'll give them that. :
Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #20
NHL 13 Developer

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Its funny, theres now a recap video on the EAsports RAC youtube channel with a complete recap of all the games from the series and 99.9% of them are short side, cross crease or curve shots. Man those Cobra guys sure do know how to exploit glitch goals I'll give them that. :
I wouldn't call a single one of the goals that I saw in the finals an exploit or a glitch. Which ones did you have a problem with?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
I wouldn't call a single one of the goals that I saw in the finals an exploit or a glitch. Which ones did you have a problem with?
Aside from a couple of the rebound goals, alot of them looked like the usual stuff you see from most of the teams in EASHL where they go top shelf from an angle from the side of the net which is pretty much money in 09 unfortunately. Most of the cobra's goals were of the drive wide, go top shelf corner. I could have sworn I saw a curve shot in there as well but as youtube videos tend not to be all that high a quality I very well could be mistaken. I'd imagine this is all prolly moot with the goaltender improvements in 10 but it was disappointing to see most of their goals scored in that manner.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 9

not sure what you want these guys in the finals to do realmk. fair point about lack of goal scoring variety but i imagine it's a very difficult thing to tweak correctly. probably the last thing redshirt wants to do is make the goaltenders too bad and have the game turn into people just throwing as much rubber as possible at the net and crossing their fingers.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
not sure what you want these guys in the finals to do realmk. fair point about lack of goal scoring variety but i imagine it's a very difficult thing to tweak correctly. probably the last thing redshirt wants to do is make the goaltenders too bad and have the game turn into people just throwing as much rubber as possible at the net and crossing their fingers.
Oh for sure, I'd imagine its prolly the hardest part of the tweaking process to nail hands down. At any rate I don't think it'll be the case this year to begin with, between the changes to how players react in front of the net, to the tender animation additions and tweaks, to the more loose puck, I expect a better variety of goals this year based on those factors alone.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 9

if you guys feel like wasting some time, check out some of the gameplay video of past madden championships. it's dudes who think they're members of the wu tang clan matching the same cheapest team against each other running the same 2 plays at each other all game.

the eashl finals actually turned out better than i thought it was going to and i think the main reason was that there were no AI players on the ice to take advantage of. i wish the entire eashl was like that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »