Home

NHL 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360 & PS3)

This is a discussion on NHL 10 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here (360 & PS3) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 10 Demo Impressions

I had to go under browse all games as well as it wasn't showing up either. Downloading now can't wait to try it out!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 5

Couldn't ask for a better demo. Fighting is sweet, crowd is sweet, puck physics are sweet, board play is super sweet!! This will keep me occupied until the real game comes out!

Joey Needs a Nap!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #27
Pro

OVR: 9

Well here are some impressions:

I've played 2 games so far (Battle for the Cup). Both on Hardcore mode. The first game I was Pittsburgh and the difficulty setting was on Pro. The game ended 2-0. I took over when it was 2-0 in the 3rd, so it was pretty uneventful. Heard a "We Want the Cup!" chant from Detroit's fans in the first game and "MVP" chant in the second game after Osgood made a nice save.

Graphics are largely the same. New equipment looks good. Line changes seem more reactive and there is a bigger interface, though it is pretty much the same as last year. Crowd sounds much better as do shots, passes, saves. Passing on Hardcore is HARDCORE! You'll have to break the habit of passing it as soon as you get it (on dumps and such). I've had difficulty making passes out of the zone, even though I think I have it pretty well lined up. I think holding the RT to get the proper pass speed is going to be most difficult and will be the thing that throws people off the most, at first. Board play is fantastic. It is going to be a great weapon, I am going to try to start using it as much as possible near the corners. If you don't the CPU will come in a get it.

The CPU game (on All-Star) is tough. They scored a goal on me (deflection from a point shot, off of my defenseman) and I had a real hard time getting into the offensive zone. If you have a player bringing it through the neutral zone with speed, most times a defenseman will meet you (and knock you on your butt) around the blue line. I am going to try to dump it a little more in the next game.

CPU players do a pretty good job of avoiding aggressive defensive players but it doesn't come off looking all that realistic. They will turn back or loop around in order to avoid the check. It kind of reminds me of FIFA 09 (for those that have played) when an attacking player will turn around and run in a circle to avoid a challenge.

I'll post some more after I get some more games in.
If any of you have specific questions, feel free to ask (Hank, I'm looking at you!)

Edit: Woohoo! Scored by first goal. On the PP, point shot from Stuart, deflected by Franzen. This of course was after Guerin scored a nice rebound goal.

Another cool touch, during the Finals, when they show a graphic overlay (after a goal or penalty, etc...) there is a picture of the Stanley Cup behind the players head, a nice touch signifying the playoffs.

Edit 2: Rebounds seem a little big, they might need to be tuned down, hopefully there is a slider. Stick lift seems much less effective and it seems that players known for their defense do it better (ie: Datsyuk, Lidstrom). It also seems like dump ins are a lot better. The longer you hold the RB button, the higher the puck goes. If you tap RB and Up, it will be almost like a line drive dump.

Played a Be-A-Pro game. Got 2 slashing penalties. It was fun. It is North American Jrs. vs. Wold Jrs. Player names are pretty recycled and pretty funny looking, but whatever. One thing I am starting to notice is that CPU does not really make mistakes passing. I think this is more noticeable because, right now, I am pretty bad at it. I cannot maintain possession for a long time and the CPU can spend a minute or so in my zone. I think adjusting the CPU passing slider will be necessary though.

Went into Shootout for the prospects game. It seems more fluid to me. Dekes are smooter and seem more physically appropriate. Also, goalies really stand out while making saves, although a lot of them go down early and then making some sort of split-save animation to recover. It doesn't look bad though. I was drafted #13 by Atlanta (yecch!)

Another chant I heard "Send 'em home! CLAP CLAP CLAP, Send 'em home! CLAP CLAP CLAP"

Last edited by Ridgeberg; 08-20-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 31

Loving it. Hardcore passing really is hardcore, playing on super star I'm having trouble even moving through center ice. The boardplay feels right, jostling for position, trying to kick the puck to a teammate or dig it loose, it just feels realistic.

Stick lifts aren't an automatic turnover anymore, you really need to have good body/stick position else you risk missing completely or drawing a penalty. The AI is challenging, good puck awareness, quick to try and boardplay you if you're by the walls, aggressive enough in the neutral zone to not allow an easy end to end game, dump & chase will be very important this year, at least on Allstar and Superstar vs the AI. Suprisingly I actually REALLY like the fighting as well.

Even dumping the puck feels better, the longer you hold the button down the harder and higher the dump is. The one thing that needs work is the post whistle scrums but I think we already knew that was going to be the case.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
If you're on the console, look by all demos and search for N. It's in there.

Mine's under new arrivals as well though, along with Dirt 2.
I got up at 5:00AM this morning and didn't see it in New Arrivals so I went back to sleep. I awoke a couple hours later and automatically went to All Demos and then to the N section. It was hard to miss the Blackhawk red and Kanees mouthpeice. DL'g now. Will play in a bit!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

Well there goes any hopes of me being productive after I get off work tonight... Can't wait to download this.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 21

Are there any new camera angles to choose from, or any differences to the camera angles used in past games (particularly the broadcast or side view)? Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #32
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Hot damn! I love being wrong about stuff like this...

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »