Home

NBA Live 10 Hands-On Preview (IGN)

This is a discussion on NBA Live 10 Hands-On Preview (IGN) within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: NBA Live 10 Preview(IGN)

good read, the excitement keeps building for Live, awesome.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 08-21-2009, 04:22 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
Demo out on Sept 10th!
That's in three weeks.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 6

Cool sounds good, happy we got timed releases now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 25

weird facial expressions?..lol..isn't it the area the devs put a lot of emphasis on?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 8

Don't think I've played a single game in either 2K or Live since like 02, on anything less than Superstar & HOF. It's the first thing I do day one, make a settings file on the highest difficulty and never look back. So I'm glad they've made it so tough. Illegal screens?!?! SWEET. This just means when me and my brothers are doing our all-night marathons the games will be even more intense

And guys, I can't say it enough, but prob the most impressive thing about all these vids to me, is how the paint is represented properly. This is the NBA, and people don't just dribble and waltz, spin thru that s*** like it's nothing, you either drive thru to score or kick out, and in Live it looks like you WILL get ripped or face heavy congestion tryna just spin and dribble thru the paint.

Been hoping for this for awhile, and Live has answered the call. Your turn 2K--if I see isomotion being pulled off in the paint in 2K10, the game's going back in the box (and maybe even back to the store)

WAITING FOR:
Fallout 4

Wife: "Of course he's going out to get his 2K game at 12am, like he can't wait til tomorrow."
Wife's mom: "Be grateful that's what he's running out at midnight for."
Old 08-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #14
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

Hey Beluba - I was reading the IGN hands on preview and I'm concerned with their description of the "direct passing receiver control". The bold part of the paragraph below is what bothers me.

"Probably the biggest change to the core gameplay is direct-passing. This oft-used mechanic is now toggled to the left trigger. Press and hold it and you'll get the usual icon passing that you're used to. Instead of just being able to dish the rock to your favorite star with this mechanic, you'll now be able to hold their button and take direct control of them yourself. If they're too far away to make a pass, just hold the appropriate button and bring them closer. My one gripe with this was that there was no real way to make a quick scoring cut to the basket. Dishing a player the ball and having him launch a quick shot before the defense was back on him just didn't seem possible in the preview build I was playing. I'd rather it be contextual so the player would realize that he's getting closer to the basket and have a sense of urgency when he gets the ball."

This new feature sounds like Live's version of 2k's "icon lead passing" where you can direct the receiver to cut in a certain direction as you pass to him. I'm glad Live has finally added something like this, as icon lead passing was my favorite part of 2k and really made passing very fun. However, I'm not happy with what IGN reported about the slow responsiveness of this feature in Live 10 (in bold above).

2k did their icon lead passing the right way by having the receiver make a FAST, HARD cut (by default) in whatever direction you told him to. In 2k the reciever always cuts with a quick burst of speed as soon as you pass to him - this allows you to direct the receiver in a quick, responsive way and get him to open areas as fast as possible before the defense can get to you.

but after reading IGN's description of Live 10, it sounds like Live's "lead passing/receiver control" is sluggish and the receivers don't make FAST cuts like they do in 2k. Can this be fixed in time for the game release? This feature was the one I was looking forward to the most, but if it's not done properly and the receivers make sluggish cuts, then the feature is basically worthless and I may have to think twice about Live 10.

To remedy this I would just make it a default for the players to automatically make a quick cut every time you use this passing feature. That way if you want to direct a guy to cut to the hoop for a layup, he will cut fast like he should in real life, as opposed to casually jogging to the hoop only to be stopped by the defense because he moved too slow.

Last edited by blues rocker; 08-23-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:22 PM   #15
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
Hey Beluba - I was reading the IGN hands on preview and I'm concerned with their description of the "direct passing receiver control". The bold part of the paragraph below is what bothers me.

"Probably the biggest change to the core gameplay is direct-passing. This oft-used mechanic is now toggled to the left trigger. Press and hold it and you'll get the usual icon passing that you're used to. Instead of just being able to dish the rock to your favorite star with this mechanic, you'll now be able to hold their button and take direct control of them yourself. If they're too far away to make a pass, just hold the appropriate button and bring them closer. My one gripe with this was that there was no real way to make a quick scoring cut to the basket. Dishing a player the ball and having him launch a quick shot before the defense was back on him just didn't seem possible in the preview build I was playing. I'd rather it be contextual so the player would realize that he's getting closer to the basket and have a sense of urgency when he gets the ball."

This new feature sounds like Live's version of 2k's "icon lead passing" where you can direct the receiver to cut in a certain direction as you pass to him. I'm glad Live has finally added something like this, as icon lead passing was my favorite part of 2k and really made passing very fun. However, I'm not happy with what IGN reported about the slow responsiveness of this feature in Live 10 (in bold above).

2k did their icon lead passing the right way by having the receiver make a FAST, HARD cut (by default) in whatever direction you told him to. In 2k the reciever always cuts with a quick burst of speed as soon as you pass to him - this allows you to direct the receiver in a quick, responsive way and get him to open areas as fast as possible before the defense can get to you.

but after reading IGN's description of Live 10, it sounds like Live's "lead passing/receiver control" is sluggish and the receivers don't make FAST cuts like they do in 2k. Can this be fixed in time for the game release? This feature was the one I was looking forward to the most, but if it's not done properly and the receivers make sluggish cuts, then the feature is basically worthless and I may have to think twice about Live 10.

To remedy this I would just make it a default for the players to automatically make a quick cut every time you use this passing feature. That way if you want to direct a guy to cut to the hoop for a layup, he will cut fast like he should in real life, as opposed to casually jogging to the hoop only to be stopped by the defense because he moved too slow.
Don't sweat the preview. They were just scratching the surface with the feature. You have COMPLETE control of the receiver when you hit his face button, so you can move him around as fast or slow as you want for as short or long as you want. Believe me, it blows away any icon passing feature in any game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #16
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

I would really like to know how this thing works... it sounds complicated though...but it also sounds like you could pull off some sick dimes if you know what you're doing
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »