Home

NHL 2K10 Review

This is a discussion on NHL 2K10 Review within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 33
Despite the inmediatly noticed graphical upgrade ... a huge let down !
Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 8
I made a switch this year back to NHL 2K10 since I have NHL 09 and 10 is essentially the same game now with board play and new animations. I agree with the review and what others have posted in that if you find the sweet spot with the games sliders, this can be a very enjoyable game of hockey. I have mine on Hall of Fame with my own tweaks. Basically I turned off the speed burst and also turned off the meter. I use the pro controls so it's basically similar to EA's control scheme. I also changed the speed to 82, turned down the body check for both cpu and user to 30, etc. I love this setting. Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the fact the you still can't break out of an animation but I can live with that. I'd give this game a solid 8 with slider tweaks.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
MVP

cookusu's Arena

OVR: 13
Pretty fair review. I am still sticking with the default sliders though for now, to see if I need to adjust my style to the game or vice versa. I really haven't had all the big hits that he mentions or if I do I end up with penalties if they are not timed exactly right.

Wonder if anyone has ever written a review without using the phrase "mixed bag"?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Pro

servo75's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: NHL 2K10 Review

If I could sum it up in a few sentences...

This game is not polished. From the graphics to the UI menus, the whole thing looks like it was rushed together at the last minute.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
I'm in what I assume would be the majority of hockey gamers in that I grew up with EA games, shifted to 2k hockey from around 2003 to 2006, and have shifted back to EA since NHL 08. I'm still with NHL 10, and I just think it's a far superior product, though I'm glad there's an alternative that people enjoy.

I've tried the 2k demos and watched the videos, but for me, the first two things I notice are that the players look like they're skating in place no matter how fast or slow they are moving, and some of the puck physics are terrible (Rebounds off the goalie pads clearing the zone? When does that ever happen?) Also, the player models are off and the color pallette has always looked bland to me. Even if the game has other advantages to it (franchise mode depth?), I can't overlook those obvious shortcomings, plus, I really enjoy the EA game.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
D* B**rs!

Boilerbuzz's Arena

OVR: 28
I wish you guys would do your reviews before the rest of the rags out there. It's clear that you actually PLAYED the game whereas some of the reviews seem to just copy from each other. Finally, a review that quantifies "slow". Great job guys. I think it's very good and fair review!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
A lot of times it's just a case of companies not sending OS a copy of the game in-time for a "day one" review.

The reason the NHL 10 review went up on release day is because OS had a reviewable copy two weeks in advance.

The review copy of NHL 2K10 came in much later, and thus, couldn't be reviewed as quickly as NHL 10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #16
MVP

ezio's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: NHL 2K10 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Apocalypse
I made a switch this year back to NHL 2K10 since I have NHL 09 and 10 is essentially the same game now with board play and new animations. I agree with the review and what others have posted in that if you find the sweet spot with the games sliders, this can be a very enjoyable game of hockey. I have mine on Hall of Fame with my own tweaks. Basically I turned off the speed burst and also turned off the meter. I use the pro controls so it's basically similar to EA's control scheme. I also changed the speed to 82, turned down the body check for both cpu and user to 30, etc. I love this setting. Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the fact the you still can't break out of an animation but I can live with that. I'd give this game a solid 8 with slider tweaks.

I did the same thing. The catch-up AI or whatever you want to call it NHL 10 got annoying. I am on pro with my own tweaks and am ready to start my franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »