Home

NHL 10: Scoring Strategies

This is a discussion on NHL 10: Scoring Strategies within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NHL 10: Scoring Strategies

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
I haven't tried the classic controls this year, but if it's anything like last year's, you have to press and hold the shot button before you receive the pass to take a one-timer.

So basically, you want to press and hold shoot right after you press pass.
That's how I remember it from NHL '94 controls... I'm actually shooting using the analog sticks right now but you're saying to use the circle button (PS3 - which is the shoot button) and it'll work while using "Classic" controls? Okie, I'll give it a try tonight when I get home. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

Its a shame that most goals happen the same way, really takes away from the game in my opinion and they need to add some variation to it
Old 11-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 0

I think the guide is great, but the complaints abut no clean goals is pretty unfounded. I think the problem is that far more people here suck at at aiming thatn care to admit it. I absolutely hate having to aim the puck, as it makes it near impossible to get clean goals.

But I use auto-aim for all of my offline games, and I get plenty of clean goals. Brad Boyes will hit his spots far better than Brad Winchester. I feel like this presents a far more realistic game, and forces me to rely on my best players for scoring chances.

When I play online, my scoring takes a hit, and I rely on the tactics in this guide. But I think it is clear that the holes are there if you aim better, becasue the CPU finds them.

I haven't played the 2K game since NHL 2K7, but maybe it just cheats a little more, and is more forgiving in where you aim. Regardless, when I read about these complaints, I always felt like i must be playing a different game. It finally downed on me that I probably am. If EA would bring auto-aim to the online game, I'd actually play more games there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Again though, auto-aim, like sliders, is something we can't use online.

I think most of the guys here who get mad at the lack of clean goals are the guys who play primarily, if not exclusively, online.

Something definitely needs to give with the online portion of the game, whether it's auto-aim or slider tweaks, but it's all in EA's control right now.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker
I think the guide is great, but the complaints abut no clean goals is pretty unfounded. I think the problem is that far more people here suck at at aiming thatn care to admit it. I absolutely hate having to aim the puck, as it makes it near impossible to get clean goals.

But I use auto-aim for all of my offline games, and I get plenty of clean goals. Brad Boyes will hit his spots far better than Brad Winchester. I feel like this presents a far more realistic game, and forces me to rely on my best players for scoring chances.

When I play online, my scoring takes a hit, and I rely on the tactics in this guide. But I think it is clear that the holes are there if you aim better, becasue the CPU finds them.

I haven't played the 2K game since NHL 2K7, but maybe it just cheats a little more, and is more forgiving in where you aim. Regardless, when I read about these complaints, I always felt like i must be playing a different game. It finally downed on me that I probably am. If EA would bring auto-aim to the online game, I'd actually play more games there.
I respectfully disagree. I'm not the best in terms of shooting accuracy but I think I'm pretty decent. The problem I notice is that the goalies in this game make too many spectacular saves. There have been so many instances where I see some room on the glove side, aim perfectly at that spot, only to see the goalie make an amazing glove save while doing a full split.

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker

Yep Jay...I'm terrible at aiming my shots.

The only time I score on clean shots is mostly by accident.

The Auto-aim...I wasn't even aware of this option. Or just didn't pay any attention to it. I'll give this a try.

Edit: I'm having trouble finding "Auto aim" in the settings.

Is it also known as CPU Aid?

Last edited by Vikes1; 11-11-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #15
MVP

BleacherCreature's Arena

OVR: 16

I used auto-aim for the longest time but have since switched to manual and am seeing far more goals than I would have imagined.
Auto seems to like to aim for the logo on the front of the goalie's jersey, which is a save 99.9% of the time.
Since switching to manual I have found I am able to shoot low from the point to allow rebounds, and I can also lift the puck over a sprawling goalie when in close.
Sure some (well, probably most) is luck on my part but it's working well.
The times it doesn't work I am left scratching my head and saying to myself "why didn't I shoot that higher?" or "I can't believe I couldn't slip that inside the far post."
Manual aim has opened up a new world of goals for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 0

I'm having trouble finding "Auto aim" in the settings.

Auto-aim is only available in the gameplay options as you start a game. It is not a setting you can set so that it is turned on all the time. That bites, as well.

Again though, auto-aim, like sliders, is something we can't use online.

I think most of the guys here who get mad at the lack of clean goals are the guys who play primarily, if not exclusively, online.

Something definitely needs to give with the online portion of the game, whether it's auto-aim or slider tweaks, but it's all in EA's control right now.

I think it sucks that auto-aim is not available online, at least as an option in unranked games. So I can see why it is important to get the manual aiming part of the game down.

I used auto-aim for the longest time but have since switched to manual and am seeing far more goals than I would have imagined.
Auto seems to like to aim for the logo on the front of the goalie's jersey, which is a save 99.9% of the time.
Since switching to manual I have found I am able to shoot low from the point to allow rebounds, and I can also lift the puck over a sprawling goalie when in close.

Well, I think it maters on where you are taking your shots from, and who is taking the shots. I definitely have a higher shot percentage than .1%. But if you take the time to learn the nuances, as you seem to have, I can really see the benefit of using the manual aim.

But I have made plenty of clean shots from the point. In fact, I have taken my speed and accuracy down to reduce my numbers.

Auto-aim can be just flat out awesome. I'm just saying that the folks complaining abuot the lack of clean goals just aren't aiming very well.

And becasue I didn't mention it before, I just want to ad that Jayson Young's articles on NHL 09, and now 10 are some of my favorite features I have read here. His articles have not only boosted my play more than any other advice I have gotten, but have also enhanced my knowledge of the game. So I don't want my comments to detract from what is another really great article on NHL 10 strategies.

I just think the complaints abut the lack of clean goals may be misplaced.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »