Home

ESPN NFL 2K5 Maybe the Greatest of All Time, But Not In Its Time

This is a discussion on ESPN NFL 2K5 Maybe the Greatest of All Time, But Not In Its Time within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
ESPN NFL 2K5 Maybe the Greatest of All Time, But Not In Its Time

Kotaku's Owen Good has posted an interesting article he titles ESPN NFL 2K5 Maybe the Greatest of All Time, But Not In Its Time.

What is your greatest sports game of all time?

Quote:
"Of the major game-of-the-year awards given out each year, no sports title has ever taken top overall honors. And yet five years later, there is one still talked about in ways that year's winners are not.

That would be ESPN NFL 2K5, the last and best of an uncommonly good crop of football games in the first half of the decade and, perhaps not coincidentally, the last one before EA Sports inked its exclusive license with the National Football League. Certainly, the stupefyingly good value 2K5 delivered on an unheard-of $19.99 price tag moved the needle on its high regard. But reviews of the game still said things like "the best-looking football game ever made," and "the most entertaining show in video game football."

This coming week will see the last glut of AAA releases in the autumn sales cycle, and then it will be on to the question of Game of the Year. Sports titles are like the offensive lineman in modern Heisman voting. Just being mentioned would be honor enough, because the prize is completely inaccessible to your class of performer."

Platform: PS2 / Xbox
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: ESPN NFL 2K5 Maybe the Greatest of All Time, But Not In Its Time

2K5 is and forever will be my all-time favorite football game but that has to do with FINN's editor more than the game itself because if it wasnt for FINN, I personally would have went back to playing 2K3 because it didnt have any major (or even minor) glitches like 2K5 had out of the box.

As for being the greatest sports game of all-time, I think that you would have to play every sports game for every console in order to fairly determine that. I do however think that its the best football game of all-time but again, thats only because of FINN's editor. Quite honestly, I could play ten or more games in a row with only an hour break for dinner. Thats how much fun 2K5 was and still is but the huge problems took away that fun but thankfully, FINN was able to bring the fun back. At least for me anyway.

As for other sports games, my favorites range from Bases Loaded/Baseball Stars (nes) to Tecmo Super Baseball (snes) to Triple Play 97 and 98 (ps). Tecmo Super Bowl III: Final Edition (snes) and Slam and Jam 95/96 (3do/ps) which featured fake players but the game was so much fun to play. NBA wise, I liked NBA In The Zone 2, NBA Shootout 97 or 98 (cant remember which) all for playstation. Never liked NBA Live period and never bothered to get into NBA 2K because by the time that existed, the Bulls were dead and I stopped caring about basketball.

Amazingly, 2K5 is the only sports game that I even still play.

Last edited by dan77733; 11-14-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
...Amazingly, 2K5 is the only sports game that I even still play.
Heh... It's gotten to the point for me that 2K5 is the only game I play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
What is your greatest sports game of all time?
2K5. It's flaws are there, but I think they are minimal... Especially when compared to all the good it brings to the table. To me the thing that really ties it all together is being able to watch Sportscenter each week.

I think it's going to be at least another three years... At least... Until we see another sports game like 2K5... One that maximizes the hardware to the point that it feels like a complete package... Brings new things to the sports game genre... And doesn't leave much, if anything, to be desired.

I know people wanna clamor over CHoops 2K8 or the current FIFA and NHL... But those titles don't feel complete, and have gaping holes... Whereas 2K5 doesn't. And no I'm not overlooking it's flaws... I'm just saying that they are relatively minimal, while it's strengths are just too good to be denied.

Current generation titles have great potential... Clearly... But they are proving to be like a high draft pick who hasn't yet blossomed, and it's getting to the point where you wonder if they ever will.

By the way, 2nd place for best sports game goes to Baseball Stars for the NES. Similar to 2K5... It maxed out the hardware, brought much good that had never been seen before, and felt like a complete package that left pretty much nothing to be desired.

Last edited by spit_bubble; 11-14-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

As far as gameplay goes, APF 2K8 is the best on the field football game I've ever played. It's not the prettiest, but it beats out any football game when it comes to the actual game play.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
NFL 2K5 pound for pound is the GREATEST SPORTS game of ALL TIME! Does it have flaws: YES; BUT it is faaaar from the problems we have with Madden and some of these other sports games and not to mention, it plays the best game of NFL Football ever.

I dare somebody to name a game better......I'll wait!!!! ALL around from presentation, to the penalty calls, down to the actual gameplay....it blows away ANYthing that is currently out.

I WILL DEFEND it on any level. LONG LIVE N.F.L. 2K5!!!!! ITs in the game lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 46

I wish 2k could have kept going on this engine, but without the license they can't make money. 2k football R.I.P
Old 11-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 17
(ESPN NFL 2K5 = best NFL game of all time.) (APF 2K8 = best football gameplay of all time.)
Old 11-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13
NFL 2k5 is my favorite sports game of all time, followed by High Heat Baseball 2002, FB Pro 97, and NHL 10.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »