Home

Madden 10: AskMadden Tip of the Week

This is a discussion on Madden 10: AskMadden Tip of the Week within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Madden 10: AskMadden Tip of the Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by northface28
That is all fine and dandy but the game we are talking about is Madden, not APF2K8. "Picks" happen every Sunday, some WR's even use the referees as landmarks. So its not all that unheard of.
Wow, not APF2K8, thanks for pointing that out, I was sooo confused.

While picks may happen in the NFL, it's not programmed into Madden. What you are seeing is a pathing issue with the players. If you want to pretend it's a pick, more power to you. Myself, I'd rather employ real offensive strategy to break a defensive strategy instead of depending on deficiencies in the game.

I listed several viable options, that should work. Are you saying none of the items I provided above work in Madden? None?
Old 11-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Wow, not APF2K8, thanks for pointing that out, I was sooo confused.

While picks may happen in the NFL, it's not programmed into Madden. What you are seeing is a pathing issue with the players. If you want to pretend it's a pick, more power to you. Myself, I'd rather employ real offensive strategy to break a defensive strategy instead of depending on deficiencies in the game.

I listed several viable options, that should work. Are you saying none of the items I provided above work in Madden? None?
Picks work in the NFL and they work in Madden. It isn't a cheese thing, it is just strategy. Madden is trying to mirror the NFL so why shouldn't picks be successful, and why shouldn't we use them?
Old 11-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
Picks work in the NFL and they work in Madden. It isn't a cheese thing, it is just strategy. Madden is trying to mirror the NFL so why shouldn't picks be successful, and why shouldn't we use them?
I'm not going to argue this point. Picks are not programmed into the game, what you are seeing is an issue with the ever so grand pathing in Madden. Like I said man, play the game however you want.

What I'm more curious about is whether real strategy works. So far no one has replied, instead focusing on the picks.

So again.... I listed several viable options, that should work to break bump and run coverage. Do any/all/none of the items I provided work in Madden?

Can anyone answer that question?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
Pro

northface28's Arena

OVR: 6

Picks happen in real life, it is an actual strategy used in real life. Picks, rub routes, whatever you want to call them they are viable options in Madden 10 and in the NFL. If you have an axe to grind with EA and their programming be my guest, but to minimize picks as a legit strategy is not a valid argument.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
Pro

northface28's Arena

OVR: 6

Ok,

1. Never heard of this
2. Borderline cheesy, snapping the ball when the motion player is not even set?
3. Hot route system does not have "arrow" routes, at least not to my knowledge
4. Gimme a break, in Madden?
5. Eh, this works OK.
6. Flats are clearly busted in the game and I try not to abuse it.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 21

Picks happen in real life, on both other defenders and refs. While no team should admit to using it, it happens. Its also illegal and rarely called.

However, in Madden you can do it every single play and it works flawlessly. Defenders like Charles Woodson and Al Harris both look for picks in real life to try to avoid them. As this video illustrates, in Madden they run blindly into them.

In the video Desean Jackson smokes Woodson because Woodson simply runs directly into McCoy at the snap of the ball. Not only does he trail the whole play after this but shortly before the catch is made turns on a dime and runs toward the line of scrimmage before pursing again.

The end result is Woodson is now 5 yards behind in man coverage, after a 10 yard route that had only one cut . That video makes future HOF'er Woodson looks like the worst DB in the world and an unproven, underachieving WR look like the HOF'er.

I wont debate that speed means everything in Madden and certainly Jackson has more speed but anybody thinking this play has any hint of realism needs to take a clearer look at how Woodson and Harris play in real life.

If anything that video illustrates how static pursuit and route angles should have been a thing of past a long time ago.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Picks happen in real life, it is an actual strategy used in real life. Picks, rub routes, whatever you want to call them they are viable options in Madden 10 and in the NFL. If you have an axe to grind with EA and their programming be my guest, but to minimize picks as a legit strategy is not a valid argument.
Can't tell you how tired I am of the 'you have an axe to grind' argument that has no bearing on the discussion at hand. This is the only statement that is not a viable argument. Stick to the topic at hand please.

It will be interesting to see how often these 'picks' (not pathing issues) occur. Is it 100% of the time? Random? Can someone lab it and run the same play 10 times or so and let us know the results?

Quote:
Ok,

1. Never heard of this
2. Borderline cheesy, snapping the ball when the motion player is not even set?
3. Hot route system does not have "arrow" routes, at least not to my knowledge
4. Gimme a break, in Madden?
5. Eh, this works OK.
6. Flats are clearly busted in the game and I try not to abuse it.
1. Definitely an APF2K8 item, not sure what the equivalent is in Madden. Basically the ability to bust the the bump by the DB so the WR can effectively run their route.

2. Cheezy? So let me get this straight, you'll justify pathing issues int he game, and then cry cheeze on employing real strategy?

3. Don't remember mentioning 'hot routes'. Try setting up your audibles to employ the routes you need.

4. Yep. Should work.

5. Cool.

6. Understood, but I would still employ it against someone who staying in bump all game long. Hopefully this won't be as big an issue after the 2nd patch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #16
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoody
Picks happen in real life, on both other defenders and refs. While no team should admit to using it, it happens. Its also illegal and rarely called.

However, in Madden you can do it every single play and it works flawlessly. Defenders like Charles Woodson and Al Harris both look for picks in real life to try to avoid them. As this video illustrates, in Madden they run blindly into them.

In the video Desean Jackson smokes Woodson because Woodson simply runs directly into McCoy at the snap of the ball. Not only does he trail the whole play after this but shortly before the catch is made turns on a dime and runs toward the line of scrimmage before pursing again.

The end result is Woodson is now 5 yards behind in man coverage, after a 10 yard route that had only one cut . That video makes future HOF'er Woodson looks like the worst DB in the world and an unproven, underachieving WR look like the HOF'er.

I wont debate that speed means everything in Madden and certainly Jackson has more speed but anybody thinking this play has any hint of realism needs to take a clearer look at how Woodson and Harris play in real life.

If anything that video illustrates how static pursuit and route angles should have been a thing of past a long time ago.
This is why I wanted to lab it. If it happens every single time, it's clearly a bug, and not part of the game. EA has gone out of their way to keep the game clean as can be, there's no way they programmed the ability to execute illegal moves into the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »