Home

Is it Time to Stick a Fork in the NHL 2K Series?

This is a discussion on Is it Time to Stick a Fork in the NHL 2K Series? within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:57 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: No NHK 2k11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Oh well, games come and go! I still I have hope, but I am cool either way.
I hope I can have the same attitude.

But with 2K out of the way, it just means EA has little reason to improve itself.
I'm not saying they'll take the easy way out but it's human nature.
Just look at Madden. I have a hard time believing that game would be where it is if 2K was still making football games.

And look at the basketball games. NBA Live has come a long, long way because of 2K.

And their Triple Play series was absolute garbage. Because of High Heat and The Show, EA brought their 'A' game in making the MVP series.

Who's to say EA's hockey series won't suffer the same problems?

All I know is, when there's no competition, the games suffer greatly.
When there is competition, the games are never better. Just ask basketball fans.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99

But with 2K out of the way, it just means EA has little reason to improve itself.
Just look at Madden. I have a hard time believing that game would be where it is if 2K was still making football games.

And look at the basketball games. NBA Live has come a long, long way because of 2K.

And their Triple Play series was absolute garbage. Because of High Heat and The Show, EA brought their 'A' game in making the MVP series.

When there is competition, the games are never better. Just ask basketball fans.
If there is no competition for any game the developers become lazy at improving their game. You can look at any game that there is not competition. MLB 2k, madden, ncaa basketball etc. Competition gets both developers to make the game the best they can. I'm not a big hockey fan, but for the nhl gamers sake I hope nhl doesn't vanish because it would be a bad situation for gamers. I think that if they continue to improve the game, more people will look at 2k as an option. Having a chose of games is always good.

FLY EAGLES FLY

Old 12-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:

I guess I look at it this way, I almost think it is more fun looking at all the videos and getting all excited for the game to come then to actually play the game. So if there is no more 2K hockey I will be cool. I love this game and I think I could play this game for 2 years and then maybe some miracle EA NHL will be sim and less..... Or maybe not!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 36
Re: Is it Time to Stick a Fork in the NHL 2K Series?

It seems like games are just vanishing these days. First NCAA basketball, now NHL. MLB 2k could be next. I hope that doesn't happen because that is my only chose for baseball. It's very unfortunate that this is happening to games this day and I hope that those games are able to come back in years down the road.

FLY EAGLES FLY

Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 PM   #21
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
I think I am a jinx. The first year I ever bought College Hoops ended up being their last year making it. Now this is the first year I have ever bought 2k hockey and look what happens. sigh. At least I was able to buy it at full retail and give a little extra money to the company that deserves it.
Can you do me a huge favor and buy Guitar Hero: Lady Gaga for me when it inevitably comes out?

Quote:
Are you implying that The Show (which wasn't even titled that back when) was dominating the baseball market on the PS2 back in 2002? Forget that they weren't even on PS2 until the next year, do you remember MLB 2004?

If anything, Acclaim was giving it a run for its money. Even WSB 2K3 was admired for its simplicity.

This just reminds me how great NHL 2K3 really was, even with its simplicity. NFL and NBA 2K3 didn't hold a candle to WSB and NHL that year, but they stepped up two years later to probably their top years while baseball and hockey went down for the count with Kush on board.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 12-18-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #22
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Everything is purely speculation right now but if it did happen, I would keep playing 2k10 for the foreseeable future. I think EA has the inferior product and just like the horror that madden has become over the years, EA would have no reason to improve their hockey series at all.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 3

Is it Time to Stick a Fork in the NHL 2K Series?
No

Is it time to retool the series and advertise your product better?
Yes
Old 12-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #24
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Damn....I was hoping for a pc version of hockey when 2k11 would roll out....its unfortunate if its true....

I have a feeling we will be having the same discussion for mlb and nba series in the near future.......

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »